PDA

View Full Version : PowerPC applications no longer supported error message

amyhs
Sep 5, 2012, 05:02 PM
Help - my daughter has a 15-inch MacBook Pro released October 2011, it runs Lion 10.7.3. A friend gave her a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini to use as a backup hard drive. She used the CD to install the software and it didn't get very far before the error window popped up "you can't open the application NotificationExec because PowerPC applications are no longer supported". Then that message continued to pop up every 10 seconds, almost like a viral message. She deleted everything that had installed and emptied the trash bin but it continues to pop up. She has called Apple AND Seagate support and they have been no help. She can still use the computer, access internet, etc., but this window keeps popping up. She is away at college so I'm just trying to help out - any suggestions, ideas?

DewGuy1999
Sep 5, 2012, 05:14 PM
I'm running 10.6, but hopefully this is the same in 10.7. Go to the Apple in the top left corner, scroll down and select System Preferences, under System go to Accounts, select her account if not already selected, go to the Login Items tab, see if there are any items there pertaining to the software, if there are select them and click the - in the bottom left corner to delete the item. She'll probably have to unlock the preference pane with her password before it will let her delete anything and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to restart after items are deleted.

As far as doing backups, she can use Time Machine (part of OS X) with her drive, she doesn't need the included outdated software.

amyhs
Sep 5, 2012, 11:36 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply, I checked with her and she said the Apple guy already walked her through those steps to no avail. At this point, she's probably going to just ship it back to me and I'll have my computer guy look at it. Very frustrating - never have these problems with my good ol' PC's! Not sure i'm sold on Macs with all the problems people seem to have.

jji7skyline
Sep 6, 2012, 01:08 AM
Believe me. PCs have way more troubles. Plus, any software bundled with external HDDs are usually bloatware, trialware or software that has a much better free alternative. They are also almost always outdated.

Nermal
Sep 6, 2012, 01:24 AM
Plus, any software bundled with external HDDs are usually bloatware, trialware or software that has a much better free alternative. They are also almost always outdated.

I'm going to go a step further. Never, ever install software that comes from hardware companies straight away. Always try out the device using the Apple- or Microsoft-provided drivers and see whether you're missing any functionality. Often the bundled software can do more harm than good, as I've experienced on a couple of occasions:

- The software included with a Microsoft mouse changed the pointer acceleration to Windows-style, with no documentation on how to remove the driver or change back to OS X-style.
- The software bundled with an Epson scanner disabled Apple's built-in Image Capture application.
- On the Windows side, I've seen many Wi-Fi drivers that disable Microsoft's control panel and dump their own one on there.

Don't trust hardware companies to make good software! :eek:

DewGuy1999
Sep 6, 2012, 07:46 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply, I checked with her and she said the Apple guy already walked her through those steps to no avail. At this point, she's probably going to just ship it back to me and I'll have my computer guy look at it. Very frustrating - never have these problems with my good ol' PC's! Not sure i'm sold on Macs with all the problems people seem to have.

I'm sorry to hear that this has tainted your opinion of Macs. This kind of thing is not the norm and is partially the result of Apple switching to Intel processors and no longer being able to run the software that ran under their previous architecture of the PowerPC processor and Seagate/Maxtor not providing updated software. I found someone on the Seagate Support Forums (Seagate now owns Maxtor) who had this same problem and fixed it theirself. Here's a link to the discussion:

Mac OS X Lion, NotificationExec pop-up after installing Free Agent Drive Manager (http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAgent-Products/Mac-OS-X-Lion-NotificationExec-pop-up-after-installing-Free/m-p/124198/highlight/true#M15387)

amyhs
Sep 6, 2012, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear that this has tainted your opinion of Macs. This kind of thing is not the norm and is partially the result of Apple switching to Intel processors and no longer being able to run the software that ran under their previous architecture of the PowerPC processor and Seagate/Maxtor not providing updated software. I found someone on the Seagate Support Forums (Seagate now owns Maxtor) who had this same problem and fixed it theirself. Here's a link to the discussion:

Mac OS X Lion, NotificationExec pop-up after installing Free Agent Drive Manager (http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAgent-Products/Mac-OS-X-Lion-NotificationExec-pop-up-after-installing-Free/m-p/124198/highlight/true#M15387)

Thank you so much for that link! I'll send it to her and pray it helps! It's just frustrating since Apple pretty much just said they couldn't help (and as this other user said Seagate was useless) - but maybe my daughter wasn't understanding what they were trying to tell her. She's not computer-savvy at all. How do you ever know what external hardware you can use with a Mac then? I feel like you can't trust anything.

amyhs
Sep 6, 2012, 01:09 PM
It worked! She had to go into the Driver Support folder and find all the Maxtor files and trash them. Phew! What a relief! Thank you so much for finding that information!

DewGuy1999
Sep 6, 2012, 01:30 PM
Thank you so much for that link! I'll send it to her and pray it helps! It's just frustrating since Apple pretty much just said they couldn't help (and as this other user said Seagate was useless) - but maybe my daughter wasn't understanding what they were trying to tell her. She's not computer-savvy at all. How do you ever know what external hardware you can use with a Mac then? I feel like you can't trust anything.

It worked! She had to go into the Driver Support folder and find all the Maxtor files and trash them. Phew! What a relief! Thank you so much for finding that information!

Glad to hear that she was able to get that fixed.

As far as trusting anything, for the most part it not any different with a Mac than it is with a PC concerning most hardware. Usually it works, in many cases it doesn't even require the installation of addition software. This is a case of outdated software that installed on an unsupported system.

Most Mac software doesn't have un-installers like Windows software because generally it's only in a few locations and is usually pretty easy to just delete the individual pieces, of course there's always exceptions. The problem with her not finding everything in this case is partly because with OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion, Apple has chosen to hide the the Library folder to keep users from mucking about in it and causing problems, which in your daughters case hindered her from eliminating this nagging software.

In the future she should avoid any Mac software that says it's only for PowerPC as it will not run on her Mac. If it's for PowerPC and Intel it should be safe. Also as someone up thread mentioned never use the supplied disc to install drivers, software, etc. as it's usually outdated and in this case incompatible. Going to the manufacturers website and downloading the current version for your OS is the best bet and that applies to PCs as well as Macs. Lastly, if she's not sure of something she can come here and ask, we've got some of the best Mac people on the planet here and they're always willing to help. Hope she enjoys her Mac and that you'll see them in a better light now that this problem has been taken care of.