Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rappar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Canada
I have read a number of posts related to apps not updating and have tried a number of suggestions such as logging out of my Apple Account, restarting etc. but with no luck.
I have an iPad (3) with 64 GB and am no where near the limit of my storage space. My apps will not update. I can download a new app and things are fine but no updates.
Many of the posts I have seen are months old. I am running THE lastest OS on my iPad. Any new suggestions I can try would sure be helpful.
Thanks
Ron

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This is from the Apple support forums:

Regarding your question, it is very strange that you can download apps but then can't update them. Try these steps:
Do the four finger swipe up to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night. Check and see if it is operating now. if not a restart is in order.

Restart: Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will start again. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running smoothly. Now see if it is operating. If not a reset is the next step.

Reset: Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. This is a reset. Let us know if this fixes it. Good luck!!

Hope it helps you out...I have a 64GB wifi ipad3 as well, and just updated a bunch of apps without issues....Have you tried it connected via cable as opposed to wifi? That might do the trick too.

rappar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Canada
Thanks, but...

I had tried everything you suggested except the restart. I tried the restart but am still having no luck.
I had logged out of my Apple Account and then logged back in hoping this might help but so far, nothing is working. I am still showing 9 apps in need of upgrades but they do not appear to want to upgrade.
Ron

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I had tried everything you suggested except the restart. I tried the restart but am still having no luck.
I had logged out of my Apple Account and then logged back in hoping this might help but so far, nothing is working. I am still showing 9 apps in need of upgrades but they do not appear to want to upgrade.
Ron

I guess a full wipe and restore is your only remaining option...Just backup to itunes and then wipe the device and start again...If Apple can't help it's probably what they are going to say anyway.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Oh yes, the issue is out there. I have 8 that are giving me trouble updating.
I did have a couple of different PW's over time passed and having appled every PW's I could find in my log it brought the original 11 down to 8 aps not accepting the update procedure. Also tried updating one at a time to no solution.
They apen to be aps I just as we'll delete anyway but I need to keep checking this thread for the possible fix " for mine"
For different reasons a hard reset and then restore we're done some days ago which helped both my other issues go totally away but not this update thing.
Guess I will stay tuned.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I've had a few updates for iPad that have stalled about halfway since going to IOS6.One told me to go to Purchased page and download from there. I thought this would just overwrite the version I had with same, but it didn't .. Have updated all stuck ones this way now.

jimmy575

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Just delete and re-download the apps.

Since you can download new apps, this will do it.

You may lose information inside of those apps, though.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
I could not figure why but I have just kept putting the pw in every time the pop up box tells me to either cancel or retry. It took about a dozen times of putting the pw in until finally it just took it and knocked all the updates out one by one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.