Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I honestly don't want to root and install a custom ROM. I do have USB tethering via EasyTether but FoxFi does not work on my phone and I have not found any other way to wifi tether. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
LOL hilarious.

I guess the question is, how cute is your wife? :D

----------

As to your question though, why not just root? You don't have to install a custom ROM if you don't want to. All root is, is giving you administration access. You can root and still run the same factory rom you're using now.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Damn auto correct... Lol. Anyway, the reason I did not work to root is the problems that arise when upgrading via OTA updates.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Does it have to be a working wife? How about one that sleeps all day and spends all your money?

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Damn auto correct... Lol. Anyway, the reason I did not work to root is the problems that arise when upgrading via OTA updates.

You are better off flashing and installing the official rom yourself, rather than waiting on att when Samsung releases JB for the S3. I avoid anything att related like the plague. I have every piece of their bloatware disabled, as it's all useless crap.

Besides, you know how easy it is to do a backup of your stock rom right now, and re flash it anytime you want?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
You are better off flashing and installing the official rom yourself, rather than waiting on att when Samsung releases JB for the S3. I avoid anything att related like the plague. I have every piece of their bloatware disabled, as it's all useless crap.

Besides, you know how easy it is to do a backup of your stock rom right now, and re flash it anytime you want?

I was an idiot and forgot to backup my stock ROM and flashed a custom one then remembered :p

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Install Power Toggles. It allows you to enable tethering from the notification screen and bypasses the AT&T check. Works for me on my AT&T S3 non-rooted.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Are you using this on At&T?

Yes, and Foxfi also works for me. Both had been working for me on AT&T.

----------

Actually, the bloat from AT&T is very minimal and their messages app runs flawless. I myself ended up deleting more Samsung garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.