Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
I tried out the new iOS6 maps this morning for the first time and compared it to my experience with Waze.

As usual, Apple isn't necessarily the first, but they take a simple, elegant approach that makes the experience better. For example, the street names are on raised signs instead of labeled on the ground. The graphics are really smooth.

And as usual, other folks' solutions have more features. I used Waze's speed indicator, but I can live without that. It's nice in Waze for different conditions to be shared (cops, hazards, accidents, etc.).

So far, I'm not really sure Apple's directions take into consideration traffic conditions. And, if they do, if they continuously update based on changing conditions.

Overall, I like the presentation.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Over the past month or two it's been nothing but a delight to use for me.

In screen shots I didn't really like the way it worked but in the real world it looks and works awesome.

I used a combination of google maps and Navigon prior to the iOS 6 Maps.

hypervish89

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I'm really loving iOS 6 maps. I prefer it over the CoPilot Live Premium application that I paid for. The best part is the minimal data consumption with iOS 6 maps, it's really awesome. It only used about 3mb during my 25 mile drive. Google maps uses close to 3mb just loading the maps for a few streets.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I'm really loving iOS 6 maps. I prefer it over the CoPilot Live Premium application that I paid for. The best part is the minimal data consumption with iOS 6 maps, it's really awesome. It only used about 3mb during my 25 mile drive. Google maps uses close to 3mb just loading the maps for a few streets.

Nice, the quality is desame or better?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I have the official TomTom app on my phone. Don't think I will get rid just yet but haven't touched it since using Apples Navigation.

Little things like looking something up on a map eg. Starbucks and bookmarking it for your trip the next day. When you load it up its says "getting directions to Starbucks".

Siri intergration will be great but Yelp! needs a bit more work. I like that I can add stuff to yelp in my hometown which should then update in maps.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
So it works better then google maps of ios5? Streetciew will be missed:(
But hows the general 2d quality of satelite view vs ios5?

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Over the past month or two it's been nothing but a delight to use for me.

In screen shots I didn't really like the way it worked but in the real world it looks and works awesome.

I used a combination of google maps and Navigon prior to the iOS 6 Maps.

Have Navigon too and thought about buying that Live addon. So do you say Maps will make Navigon already obsolete for turn by turn navigation?

Last edited:

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
A little off subject but what mount does everyone use in the car? Or do you just sit it randomly in the car?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
So it works better then google maps of ios5? Streetciew will be missed:(
But hows the general 2d quality of satelite view vs ios5?

This is Rome zoomed in a bit...

Sat of the last pic...

TBJjD.png

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    120.9 KB · Views: 813
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    108.6 KB · Views: 824
  • photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    101.5 KB · Views: 826
  • photo 4.PNG
    photo 4.PNG
    70.4 KB · Views: 828

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I've been really impressed with the Maps app. I think it looks better than Google Maps, and I can't wait to see the final version in iOS6. I think it's easier on the eyes, better put together and less bloated.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Can some people talk about data usage of maps? Is it not much?
What about satelite view vs normal streetnames ect view?

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I find Apple Maps to be so slow and laggy/choppy - thought this was just because it's beta....but everybody above already seems happy with it.... is it the same for anybody else?

meskida

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
My issue with maps is that whenever I tried to search for something, it is way off (as in WAAAAAAY off) off. See, yesterday, while the maps app new exactly my location (Spain), I searched for "Calle Dieciséis de Julio" (Dieciséis de Julio Street), which is like 2 miles from my house. See attached image for the only result I got :confused:

I searched it manually and noticed it's labeled as "Dieciséis de Julio Avenue" :rolleyes:

Attachments

• la foto 1-1.PNG
    la foto 1-1.PNG
    287.1 KB · Views: 95
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.