Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomD1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Hi,

Are there any Belgian developers on IOS 6 who could tell me how maps are under IOS 6? I've heard a lot of areas are not as detailed as google maps, is this true? Does turn by turn work?

In a lot of countries Siri gained Location services, but I've read this is not true for Belgium?

Thank you very much!

captainCB

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Hi Tom,

I can assure you that Apple Maps are working very good in Belgium. I can't really make a comparison because I wasn't a heavy user of Google Maps on iOS.

I haven't really discovered any major errors in my (limited) use and each beta has added more detail and refinements. Overal I enjoy Apple Maps better for my needs. Turn-by-turn is definitely working, but seems still a bit laggy at times. Maybe this will be fixed in the final release.

As I discovered earlier this week Siri can now also use location data in Belgium. So you can ask her for a pizza place or a gasstation for example and she will give you the options that are fairly close to you. The downside is that Siri uses Yelp for its information on businesses and Yelp isn't very mainstream in Belgium yet. Don't get me wrong, a lot of places are already available in Yelp, but not all of them are present in the Maps app. Maybe this is also a beta issue, but when the listings are kept up-to-date the Maps app will be even more usefull here.

I have already started by adding my favorite places in Yelp in the hopes of making Maps even better around here. :D

TomD1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Thank you very much!

Nice to see Siri is getting Improved, the only thing I need is a Dutch Siri now ;)

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I to want a Dutch Siri, but it looks like we"ll have to wait till 2013:(

Good thing location services is good global with ios 6

TomD1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Yeah I fear we're going to have to wait some time...

Maybe at the iPhone event tomorrow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.