PDA

View Full Version : Broken MBA hinge

Zeke D
Sep 6, 2012, 07:15 PM
Apple expects me to pay $317 (a third of the cost of a new unit) to replace at the hinge that broke on my MBA. What a total load of crap. Way to build loyalty Apple!

pgiguere1
Sep 6, 2012, 07:24 PM
Service is what costs that much, not the part. It's meaningless to compare reparation cost to the price of the unit itself. Unless you can prove it would have been significantly cheaper to repair with another manufacturer, you can't blame no one but yourself to have broken your hinge in the first place.

ixodes
Sep 6, 2012, 07:36 PM
you can't blame no one but yourself to have broken your hinge in the first place.
You're guessing & you're wrong.

plucky duck
Sep 6, 2012, 07:53 PM
How did it happen? Pics?

pgiguere1
Sep 6, 2012, 08:01 PM
You're guessing & you're wrong.

Uh? You know OP? Someone else broke his MBA hinge?

tiwizard
Sep 6, 2012, 08:10 PM
Uh? You know OP? Someone else broke his MBA hinge?

Well, you seem to know him since you are placing the blame squarely on him.

Zeke D
Sep 6, 2012, 08:14 PM
Service is what costs that much, not the part. It's meaningless to compare reparation cost to the price of the unit itself. Unless you can prove it would have been significantly cheaper to repair with another manufacturer, you can't blame no one but yourself to have broken your hinge in the first place.

They quoted $100 for the hinge and $180 for the labor and $20 for shipping and $17 for taxes. That is usery plain and simple. I assume you were not trying to be offensive when you placed blame on me for the hinge, but you did come across that way.

filmbuff
Sep 6, 2012, 08:52 PM
They quoted $100 for the hinge and $180 for the labor and $20 for shipping and $17 for taxes. That is usery plain and simple. I assume you were not trying to be offensive when you placed blame on me for the hinge, but you did come across that way.

So how did the hinge break? Is your warranty expired?

Zeke D
Sep 6, 2012, 08:59 PM
So how did the hinge break? Is your warranty expired?

Yeah AppleCare is expired. I don't expect it to be free or anything, but I don't expect to get raped either. It broke from normal wear and tear.

ixodes
Sep 6, 2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah AppleCare is expired. I don't expect it to be free or anything, but I don't expect to get raped either. It broke from normal wear and tear.
In the US product law, there's a concept called "reasonable service life".

The hinge should not fail from "wear & tear" so soon.

Therefore you need to escalate your complaint up the chain at Apple Care. Explain that one expects the hinge to last longer than it did. That you did not receive "reasonable service life". I feel very certain if you present it in a courteous yet matter of fact manner, they'll replace it.

That said who knows, you may have to escalate to the next highest person, but approached as I suggested I'm confident you can resolve it at no cost to you.

G-Mo
Sep 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
What year MacBook Air?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2948

Zeke D
Sep 6, 2012, 10:44 PM
What year MacBook Air?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2948

I have an original MBA. I have broken and cracked plastic near one of the hinges, I also have more than one inch of free play while opening or closing the lid. Finally, the Lid falls freely into closed position from a 30-degree open position. Thanks for pointing me to this knowledge base. I was willing to pay a reasonable fee to have it repaired, but now it looks as if Apple will take care of it free of charge. I will let you all know what happens when I contact them tomorrow.

fteoath64
Sep 7, 2012, 06:16 AM
It is the weakest mechanical part of the MBA. The hinge part is made of die-cast alloy which is brittle and breaks. The design is such that L-part that connects to a circular barrel breaks. It is such a stupid design, you wonder if this part can really take 300 open-close swing cycles!. There are ebay replacement part made of stain-less steel which will NEVER break no matter how many swings you do.

In that notice, Apple only fall short of admitting a defect on the hinge. If one opens it and look at the hinge, one can see clearly, such a design should NOT be used. Apple is not the first to make such a mistake, TI, Sony and Toshiba did such things long ago as well.

Zeke D
Sep 7, 2012, 08:34 AM
Apple care is saying this program expired on August 27, 2012. I am on the phone to get them to do the right thing. It would have been nice if they had informed MBA owners about this, I could have had this taken care of before classes started.

Zeke D
Sep 7, 2012, 08:56 AM
AppleCare is telling me due to the sheer number of apple products I own, they will be taking care of my hinges free of charge. This will be the second time Apple has taken care of me on a product with expired AppleCare. What better reason to get AppleCare do you need?

snberk103
Sep 7, 2012, 09:50 AM
Apple care is saying this program expired on August 27, 2012. I am on the phone to get them to do the right thing. It would have been nice if they had informed MBA owners about this, I could have had this taken care of before classes started.

You want to hear something funny. My wife's original MBA had its hinge replaced for free... in mid-August. We had no idea that there was a program, just took it in and the shop said that Apple would cover the cost. Whew! Congratulations on your outcome.

Zeke D
Sep 11, 2012, 03:52 PM
Mailed the box yesterday. The box for shipping weighed twice what the MBA weighed.

Elijen
Sep 12, 2012, 03:20 AM
AppleCare is telling me due to the sheer number of apple products I own, they will be taking care of my hinges free of charge. This will be the second time Apple has taken care of me on a product with expired AppleCare. What better reason to get AppleCare do you need?

But they would probably replace the part free of charge also if you did not buy the AppleCare, wouldn't they?

dreamsINdigital
Sep 12, 2012, 03:31 AM
Wow, if that's true about the expiration date, then that really sucks. I was about to take in my original MBA for hinge repair this week. :(

Zeke D
Sep 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
I would still take it in and insist they take care of their manufacturing defect. It was a nice line about taking care of me due to the number of apple products I own, but I suspect they would have found an excuse to take care of it without admitting there's an issue.

I received an email today, the repair has been competed and the unit is on its way back to me.

Zeke D
Sep 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
Got my MBA back today. They replaced the following parts:

Display Bezel
Left Clutch
Right Clutch
Microphone Cable
Antenna Window
Magnet

It is definitely better without any play in the hinge, but the hinge still feels soft. if the unit is open all the way and I tilt the keyboard portion perpendicular to my desk, the lip closes. I compared it to me MBP, and that doesn't happen. On the MBP I have to wiggle it several times to get it to close. Before I call them back, I wanted input from you guys, is you MBA hinge soft like I m experiencing?

jcmoney1010
Sep 16, 2012, 09:17 PM
I just had the right hinge break on me late thursday night, I had it sitting on the counter and I went to close it and *crack*. I set up an appointment with apple the next morning and they basically told me that if I would have come in 3-4 weeks earlier, then I would have been covered, but since I had owned the computer for longer then 3 years, I have to pay $280 bucks.

At the time I just thought it was just one of those random things that happens, so I didn't put up much of a fight, told the guy thank you and I would be back another time to look at getting it fixed. After I got home I started looking into it more heavily and saw many people talking about how this was an issue. After reading this thread, I'm going back tuesday and seeing if I can't get them to replace it for free.

TheRealDamager
Sep 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
Apple just fixed an original Air hinge FOR FREE without any Applecare and you want to complain that the repair isn't tight enough for you? Man - you are tough to please.

Zeke D
Sep 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
Apple just fixed an original Air hinge FOR FREE without any Applecare and you want to complain that the repair isn't tight enough for you? Man - you are tough to please.

By your logic, if I received a MBA as a gift my investment would be zero and thus I shouldn't get any warranty?
The amount of money I paid for the repair is irrelevant. Apple agreed to replace my hinge and we came to an agreement on the cost of that repair. I am not satisfied with the repair. All I want apple to do is to fix the hinge as they promised. I expect they will do so.

----------

. After I got home I started looking into it more heavily and saw many people talking about how this was an issue. After reading this thread, I'm going back tuesday and seeing if I can't get them to replace it for free.

Mine was the right hinge as well.i would call them and have them schedule the rapair at the aple store. Stick to your guns and make them repair this defect. The fact they admit it was covered gives you certain legal rights.

Zeke D
Sep 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
Apple has agreed the replacement hinges are not up to snuff, and they are sending me a box to send the MBA back to them.

NT1440
Sep 18, 2012, 11:41 AM
Apple expects me to pay $317 (a third of the cost of a new unit) to replace at the hinge that broke on my MBA. What a total load of crap. Way to build loyalty Apple!

You broke it....

What do you want, free repairs for structural damage for life? Come on.

jcmoney1010
Sep 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
[/COLOR]

Mine was the right hinge as well.i would call them and have them schedule the rapair at the aple store. Stick to your guns and make them repair this defect. The fact they admit it was covered gives you certain legal rights.[/QUOTE]

I just got back from the apple store, but got the same ole song and dance. This time though the guy went back and talked to the guys in the back and when he came out he said the price is firm and "he has to back up what the first guy said". I told him that I could buy a pc or build a hackintosh for roughly the same price they wanted to replace the hinge for, and that I just couldn't justify paying 1/3 of a new mackbook to have the hinge replaced. After I told him I would repair it myself or buy a pc, he wrote down the number to apple care and told me to call them, and that if I can get them to repair it, then they would honor anything apple care says or does.

I'm going to call apple care later today and see what they have to say, but I fully anticipate having to fix it myself.

dreamsINdigital
Sep 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
You broke it....

It's not OP's fault that it broke. :rolleyes: They're known to break from normal use because it's a design flaw...

Zeke D
Sep 18, 2012, 06:25 PM
You broke it....

More trolling. I did not break the hinge, it is a known manufacturer defect. What I want is a product that will last a reasonable service life. If you had a product that was defective, you would want it taken care of free of charge.

----------

I'm going to call apple care later today and see what they have to say, but I fully anticipate having to fix it myself.

stick to your guns, make them do the right thing. I was fortunate, I didn't have to escalate it past one level of phone support, and the tech was the one that offered to escalate it.

jcmoney1010
Sep 18, 2012, 09:19 PM
stick to your guns, make them do the right thing. I was fortunate, I didn't have to escalate it past one level of phone support, and the tech was the one that offered to escalate it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After an hour of basically waiting on hold, Parker from apple care decided to allow the exception and repair my MacBook for free. Apple care was much much easier to deal with then the apple store, I recommend that anyone else who runs into this problem call apple care first before wasting time with the "Genius" bar.

Zeke D
Sep 18, 2012, 09:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After an hour of basically waiting on hold, Parker from apple care decided to allow the exception and repair my MacBook for free. Apple care was much much easier to deal with then the apple store, I recommend that anyone else who runs into this problem call apple care first before wasting time with the "Genius" bar.

Im glad you got your MBA taken care of. Unfortunately, you experience is echoed by many corporate entities. They usually don't give the front line employees the peer to take care of customers.

Retail managers are so worried about the P&L statement, they end up doing things that are counterproductive to the brand. I have always believed if yo ske care of the customer, the customer will take care of your P&L. I firmly believe corporate Apple still believes this, but as they continue to grow we will see more and more of this sort of thing.

Zeke D
Sep 22, 2012, 02:17 PM
Got my MBA back today. I wasn't expecting it until Monday. The hinges are better than the first repair, much tighter.