Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
New Digital Device in MWSF? MacOSrumors just said that there might be a new digital device in Janurary. Any idea what this could be?

Maybe this could be a tv device, a picture portait, or a cell phone?

What do you guys think?

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
I just realised what this device could/should be... thinking about previous rumors.

My guess is as follows:

Big iPod enclosure, looks like an iPod, but more like a vcr/dvd player size. Internal 20/40GB Hard drive. On-board OS would be iPod-esque but include full QuickTime playback functionality (incl. MPEG-2).

Ports would be: optical in/out, stereo out (rca), video out, ethernet/airport, dvd drive.

The idea is this: a player-in-a-box that handles all QuickTime media, whether stored internally or externally. The DVD drive would let the device function as a dvd player (put disc in, watch movie through video-out port, ie. a TV). The internal HD could store either MP3s or quicktime movies. That way, you could play back mp3's through your home stereo/surround setup. The airport would allow you to share your media files directly with your desktop machine(s) (as in Rendezvous/iTunes4).

I know that this is treading a fine line between a fully functional home computer, but look at it this way: with the pared down OS as found in the iPod, the machine is not fundamentally meant for office applications and is fully geared for multimedia. It would provide the missing link between media files for a "computer" and media files for the living room (CD/DVD's). It would boost demand for Airport networking, and fully exploit Rendezvous and iTunes4. It's a device that basically leverages every advantageous plot Apple have been assembling since the multi-colored iMac of 1997... :)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
rdas7, there's just one flaw with the perfect idea for an all-in-one device to do anything and everything:

The multi-colored iMac was of year 1999, and the Bondi Blue iMac, the original, came out in 1998. :D

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
im more inclined to think it would be another iPod-like product...

[dont flame] Perhaps a PDA [/dont flame]
Maybe a digital camera
Probably more likely is a heavily revised iPod with a different name...

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Well I can't really see what benefit Apple would get from entering the PDA market. I know that this has been a long rumored item, but I am stuck as to what this realistically might be.

Witness iSync to show that Apple already consider the Palm OS devices the standard in PDA's. Unless they had a compelling advantage to offer the mobile business community, why would they want to create "another" option for people beset by Journada's, iPaqs and Palms?

Steve Jobs has already mentioned, and I have to agree, that for most intensive tasks, a full computer is needed (full size display, full size data-entry device - keyboard). The only way I see Apple entering the PDA market is if they've got something killer like a foldable display or decent voice recognition - both of which are still some years off (for portable devices anyway, I KNOW that MacOS already has VR). But you only have to look so far as the Newton to realise that people use any given device for its functionality - no matter how cool the technology underneath is. People marvelled at how amazing the Newton was, laughed after watching it interpret a few handwritten words, then put it down and walked away (except me, who still uses a 2100) :) At the end of the day, most people don't need a spreadsheet on the move. For those that do, there are already good solutions.

To further elaborate on the home-device described before, a hardware QuickTime Player would be THE linking unit that would ultimately make your living room a peripheral to your Mac. This furthers the Digital Hub design, with the Mac at the center.

The "CPU" of the device would be only for media playback. You would still need a Mac to load it up with its content. With no direct net access (unless it's got a built-in browser, but that gets WAY complicated and might as well become an iMac/eMac) you would need a Mac to download stuff from the web, mp3 stuff, etc.

Think of it: on your desktop you've got the icon for this device that's airported from your living room. You can drag/drop whatever files you want into it, then go into the living room and watch the latest trailers on your big screen tv - or listen to your mp3's through your home stereo, ultimately using the box as an mp3 server (see iTunes 4 functionality).

This device, based on QuickTime and open standards, would be (once again) a unique market. To my knowledge there is nothing that exists today which it would compete with. Competition would have to also be based on a QuickTime architecture, which means that Apple would always have the advantage when it comes to Mac integration. Perhaps Microsoft will eventually come out with a similar product, but with .wma and Windows Media Player compatibility, but then who would care? :confused:

I think the key to this is turning your television and stereo into a peripheral of your Mac. Once that happens, Apple will have completed the home-invasion and will next have to line up the Apple-branded toaster (FINALLY!) ;)

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
Personally rdas7, I like your idea. Philips has announced Rendezvous support, and I'm counting on a way to play audio and video from your Mac through your stereo or television. The only easy way we have now is by burning CD's and DVD's, or hooking our Macs up to the stereo or television (which is easier if located close to each other). For this to happen now, we need something like this. It will be years before people have televisions or stereos with Rendezvous built-in, so it would be awesome to have device to run all this from. It might need faster Airport, so it might not happen in January (if it happens at all).

-Nate

Micho

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2002
CELL PHONE

Man i hope its a cell phone. and i dont think thats alogether unreasonable...isync.
but its not easy to make a cell phone (well one that works in more then 100 square mile start up service area... hip top (hop...whatever)
my dream:
a device that can work with analog 2g 2.5g and 3g networks and is not fixed to a service provider... and has a color screen, and camera and mp3 player (me pockets is full when i have my ipod phone palm and wallet on me) well mabye not an mp3 player but something that is like a mix between the Visor Trio (decent wireless capability easy to use and functional) and the Zarus by sharp with a *nix based operating system and the ability to play mpegs. of corse you cant always get what you want.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I personally can't see Apple entering the digital camera business.

But I did see an apple ad in newsweek that might have hinted at it:

the sub- head line was "Digital Have arrived... blah blah blah"

it was a whole ad for the iMac (17" in ad) and iPhoto.

So maybe they're developing something with Minolta. My theory behind this is that Minolta offers a "Dimage X" japanese version that is iBook white. And specced and advertised as such.

Interesting....

m

Originally posted by Moxiemike
the sub- head line was "Digital Have arrived... blah blah blah"
:eek: Digital Have?! :eek:

Either typo or actual grammar error. If it was in an ad, it should be read "Digital Has Arrived..."

Unless this is in Britain, I believe. IIRC, they have companies as plural (i.e. "Apple is stupid." [en-US] would be "Apple are stupid." [en-GB]). However, I'm pretty sure we're not talking about DIGITAL, which is owned by Compaq. ;)

stefbystef

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2002
Germany
I would also like to see an iPhone at MWSF.

No Apple Digital Photo Camera can beat Nikon and Cannon.

PDA??? Hmmmmm well, nice idea but we need something really innovative here.

We need a cellphone with integrated services like iChat, e-mail, Calendar, Photo, Printing, MP3s and Movies (what other iApps did Apple lately develop???) :D

oh yeah ..... iSync!

CAN'T STOP HAVING IN MIND WOZ's "Danger". And knowing that he is going to show up at MWSF..... Oh man!

:)

Stef

I believe in Apple
they never let me down (at least not more than a month or so!)

stefbystef

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2002
Germany
I would also like to see an iPhone at MWSF.

No Apple Digital Photo Camera can beat Nikon and Cannon.

PDA??? Hmmmmm well, nice idea but we need something really innovative here.

We need a cellphone with integrated services like iChat, e-mail, Calendar, Photo, Printing, MP3s and Movies (what other iApps did Apple lately develop???) :D

oh yeah ..... iSync!

:)

Stef

I believe in Apple
they never let me down (at least not more than a month or so!)

Padrote

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2002
Glendale, CA
New Apple toys to play with

Apple has create something really profound to shake up the computer world, and get it out of its current slump. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple enters the world HDTV.

How about a hybrid HDTV Monitor with a built-in Hard Drive to record HD programs, and a DVD-R to burn these HD programs on to DVD's. With the style and design of apple, we can only hope to get something so imaginative and meaningful.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
something new

doesn't anyone have any new ideas ? everyone just says: cell phone, ipod+, camera, PDA..... what about a home control device that will turn on your coffee pot at 6am for you and turn on your lights at 5pm before you get home (sort of like the X-10, but better)

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
I would really like to see the "living room hub" you guys are talking about.

My house setup is probly semi common. iMac ustairs. In the living room, 42in TV, with a windows computer next to it. On the couch is me with the iBook. :) All 3 computers are hooked up to a airport wireless network.

It would be so great to hook up a box (im thinking something that looks like a gamecube) that can record TV shows, play DVDs for me (our TV has no DVD player), wirelessly sync with the renzevous pioneer speakers, and listen to music from the iMac wirelessly via iTunes 4. It could do stuff like sync ical to know my favorite TV shows and remind me when they are on.

At least this is what I gather from what you guys are saying. Hope im right cause a device like this would be nothing short of revolutionary!

8trackmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i'd most likely agree some sort of ipod update is in order...although i'd like to see some implementation of apple's emagic buyout. i just read some rumors yesterday about an impending(although no timeframe) apple audio control surface(ie. sound input/recorder/mixer). i'm pretty certain this is beyond the scope of MWSF but perhaps something inching toward that...i think its an ipod upgrade of some sort. at least i'm banking on it enough to hold out on buying one...

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
For those of you interested in cellphones...

I personally don't think that Apple is going to release a cellphone for the same reason that they won't release a PDA: the market is already well established and unless they've got a KILLER solution, no one is going to pick up a new-entry-brand. So, unless they've got something better than a Sony-Ericsson T68i, there's not much point. Besides, the T68i is the result of two companies who have been building cellphones for years. Apple is in the business of personal computer hardware.

The recent iPhone name patent most likely refers to a software solution like iChat with voice or something like that.

If you're interested in killer phones, according to my own research, it looks like the forthcoming Nokia 7250 is going to be the reigning king. With built-in color screen, camera (yes!!!) and bluetooth, it is everything a cellphone should be. The 7650 is just too darn bulky right now.

http://www.nokia.com/phones/7250

Plus, the 7250 will finally break the Nokia habit and actually SUPPORT syncML which means that it will be compatible with iSync, just as the Sony-Ericsson T68i is now (the one and only phone on the market at the moment with syncML compatibility).

MisterBlack

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2002
All right everone, hang on to your pocket protectors, I'm about to drop a pretty big bomb here:

At MWSF will debut the TiPod!!

Color touchscreen w/ stylus, 120 gb hard drive, bluetooth, integrated internet browser, Tony Hawk 4 easter egg game, and a stylish brushed titanium case!

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Where did you get this from?

What, then, is this device? An iPod with an added internet browser? Bluetooth only offers 1Mbps transfer speeds (same as USB?), so firewire would still need to be included for loading the thing with mp3s.

Plus, even though Bluetooth takes care of the connection either to a desktop machine or cellphone, even with GPRS, cellphone data rates are still at something like 9.6kbps - too slow to surf practically (I've already tried with an iBook & bluetooth cellphone)

Nice idea, but I'd like to see how this pans out. Although, it would be a cool peripheral. Ahead of it's time, etc. (would really be cool with a 3G connection)... cool idea. I'm warming to it... but sounds a little niche still to me (ie. doesn't fulfill a real need - like the iPod is a modern walkman, this TiPod sounds like a lame pda...) Why not just get a Palm Tungsten - at least it's got a community of app developers, etc...

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
iSync still at beta...

... so maybe Apple is waiting till they introduce an iSyncing device of their own (Tipod- cool name,iphone (I know it's supposed to be software),or any other ultra portable computer).

Talon1138

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2002
portable vid player please

Here's what I want:

ipod-sized video player
20 gb hd
small color screen
RCA out/ Svideo out to connect to a TV

Watch your imovies on the go, then plug into friends TV and watch. Or grab footage from a friend's computer to edit later into your film.

Only question: would it defeat the purpose of Making DVDs? I don't think so.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Its going to be a new portable computer called a SuperBook!

Its quite a bit bigger than a powerbook... a full inch thicker and a little bigger LxW, but it has dual processors, handwriting recognition, a built-in cell phone for wireless internet, a built-in printer, and a built-in digital camera!

There is only going to be one model available, which retails for $3599

The specs are:

Dual 1ghz G4s &1mb L3 cache per processor
133mhz System Bus
512mb SD-RAM
80gb Ultra ATA HD
1x Superdrive
Radeon 9000 video card w/ 64mb vram
bluetooth equipped

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Re: New Digital Device in MWSF?

Originally posted by MacManiac1224
New Digital Device in MWSF? MacOSrumors just said that there might be a new digital device in Janurary. Any idea what this could be?

Maybe this could be a tv device, a picture portait, or a cell phone?

What do you guys think?

Since Apple Computer Inc. is a highly innovative company, I'd say chances are very good we'll see great things at MWSF.

:cool:

New Guy

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2002
Connecticut
What I Wanr from Apple . . .

is a digital phone/answering machine that will integrate with and be controlled by my mac. I want to be able to check my messages and change my announcement while I'm at work using my mac and my .mac account. I want to get an email, either at work or on my cell phone, when I receive a call at home that gives me the name and number of the person calling or forwards me a text message.

I want an alarm clock in my bedroom that is controllable from iCal and my .mac accont.

I want to control a VCR/PVR from iCal and my .mac account. It would be nice to have a TV channel in Sherlock to search for shows and drag the ones I want to record into iCal.

I want an Apple branded home automation system to control lights etc, again from iCal.

I want a universal remote control that I can easily program from my mac.

I want a stereo receiver and TV that have airport and firewire inputs to stream mp3s and photos from my PowerBook.

I want to be able to make and receive telephone calls from my PowerBook.

I guess I just want Apple to to extend their Digital Hub idea to include more than just Toys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.