PDA

View Full Version : MBA 11" battery cycle?

maatae
Sep 7, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hi all

basically, I've had my mba 11in for a week now and im at 11 battery cycles..is this about normal? or will my battery be done way too soon..am I better off switching to the 13 in for a longer lasting battery? help!

GGJstudios
Sep 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hi all

basically, I've had my mba 11in for a week now and im at 11 battery cycles..is this about normal? or will my battery be done way too soon..am I better off switching to the 13 in for a longer lasting battery? help!
How are you using your battery? Are you running on battery power when AC is available? Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

maatae
Sep 7, 2012, 12:27 PM
I'm pretty much at a desk all day. leave it unplugged mostly, let it drop to about 20 percent then charge it to about 90 unnplug it again(probably do this twice a day?) then i let it charge overnight when i get home...

GGJstudios
Sep 7, 2012, 12:28 PM
I'm pretty much at a desk all day. leave it unplugged mostly, let it drop to about 20 percent then charge it to about 90 unnplug it again(probably do this twice a day?) then i let it charge overnight when i get home...
There's no need to do that twice a day. If you're at the desk, leave it plugged in. Running on battery for a few hours two or three times a week is fine.

maatae
Sep 7, 2012, 12:33 PM
oh wow so its actually better for my battery health to leave it plugged in? interesting. I was always told that leaving my battery plugged in constantly would decrease its capacity. thanks for the info!

GGJstudios
Sep 7, 2012, 12:35 PM
oh wow so its actually better for my battery health to leave it plugged in? interesting. I was always told that leaving my battery plugged in constantly would decrease its capacity. thanks for the info!
You shouldn't leave it plugged in all the time, as the battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. But that doesn't mean you have to run on battery all the time, either. As I said before, run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. If you're putting a cycle or two on it every week, that's plenty. I really encourage you to read the Battery FAQ. It explains everything.

Dark Void
Sep 7, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hi all

It's normal if it's normal for you - meaning if that's how much you've used your laptop in a week then that's it. It's designed to be used, don't worry about how many cycles you accumulate over a certain period of time.

Simply use your battery as you would and remember to let it discharge once in a while. You can leave it plugged in for a while at a time (days), just remember to let the battery run frequently.

solsearchin
Sep 7, 2012, 11:12 PM
Ya don't leave it plugged in all the time it degrades your battery quickly, I learned that the hard way lol. Mine lasted under a year doing that. Just use your laptop on battery than recharge it is a lap top after all... I wouldn't worry about cycle counts, mine is at 200 on a less than year old system lol