Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Interesting move by Fox:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/b...al-movies-closer-to-theater-release.html?_r=3

"Prometheus" will be available on Sept. 18th in Ultraviolet format and also on iTunes (pre-order available for $14.99 in the store now). The Blu-ray/DVD release is more than 2 weeks later. A step in the right direction for digital distribution, but IMO still too expensive considering that you will be able to get a Blu-ray *and* Digital Copy for about $20 a little later.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
If I could watch iTunes Extras on my Apple TV, I wouldn't buy another disc the rest of my life.

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
cabin in the woods (and i think snow white) are also able to purchase early on itunes

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Interesting move by Fox:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/b...al-movies-closer-to-theater-release.html?_r=3

"Prometheus" will be available on Sept. 18th in Ultraviolet format and also on iTunes (pre-order available for $14.99 in the store now). The Blu-ray/DVD release is more than 2 weeks later. A step in the right direction for digital distribution, but IMO still too expensive considering that you will be able to get a Blu-ray *and* Digital Copy for about $20 a little later.

I concur. It's a move in the right step but when will media companies realize that there should be a larger price difference between digital copies vs physical copies. As far as I know, you still can't resale the digital copy but you can the disc.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I concur. It's a move in the right step but when will media companies realize that there should be a larger price difference between digital copies vs physical copies. As far as I know, you still can't resale the digital copy but you can the disc.

but please don't simply increase blurry with digital copies....just lower the digital copies.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Prometheus and other Fox titles have shown up in iTunes... with the disclaimer that "When purchased, this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud"

Brilliant :rolleyes:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It's not just Fox - IT IS EVERY MOVIE IN THE ITUNES STORE! - Disney included!

This has to has to be a bug - contacted iTunes support for some info on it.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
It had better be a bug because I purchased "Prometheus," it started to play so I hit menu to get out of the movie to look through what else had come out, and when I went into the purchased section it was nowhere to be seen. I even went to the movie's page thinking I could play it from there but no, it only lets me purchase again. And yes, looking under my account in iTunes the transaction DID go through...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It had better be a bug because I purchased "Prometheus," it started to play so I hit menu to get out of the movie to look through what else had come out, and when I went into the purchased section it was nowhere to be seen. I even went to the movie's page thinking I could play it from there but no, it only lets me purchase again. And yes, looking under my account in iTunes the transaction DID go through...

Did you go to the purchased playlist or did you go to your iTunes in the Cloud area within the iTunes Store? It may not show in the playlist especially if its still downloading.

The desktop interface currently will ask you to buy it every time - even iTunes in the Cloud movies - you need to go to the iTunes in the Cloud area to redownload movies.

Any luck going there and it being in your list? It should say downloading or something like that.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
I think it was just a temporary bug with iTunes... the "When purchased, this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud" as mentioned a few posts above as being on every movie is gone (except for Fox) and Prometheus is now showing under purchases for me...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I think it was just a temporary bug with iTunes... the "When purchased, this movie will not be available from iTunes in the Cloud" as mentioned a few posts above as being on every movie is gone (except for Fox) and Prometheus is now showing under purchases for me...

Still appearing on every movie for me - Indiana Jones, Waterboy - etc. - Don't think its a Fox thing - a bug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.