PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 won't eject disc!!

amyinnc
Sep 7, 2012, 03:18 PM
Inserted a disc fine, did what I needed to do, hit eject..it makes the sound..comes to the edge, but won't come all the way out..not even enough to grab it, before it sucks it back in again..its like the grey "felt" stuff at the edge is keeping it from coming out. What can I do!? This mac is a pain in the arse anyway..now this!?

eyoungren
Sep 7, 2012, 03:56 PM
You might try this. Hold your Mac so that the drive slot faces down (or as down as you can get it. Press the eject button. It may also be easier to just press the eject button then angle the Mac down right after you press it.

My 1.67Ghz PowerBook was dropped on it's right corner by the guy who sold it to me on eBay. I have to eject disks this way because of the damage to the corner. If I left it flat it would do what you are describing.

IDK if that will work, but worth a shot.

amyinnc
Sep 7, 2012, 04:04 PM
No luck :( But thanks....

PowerPCMacMan
Sep 7, 2012, 10:12 PM
Worse case scenario.. you could get an external superdrive via USB. With the right open firmware commands u can boot from it. Many of us here have booted PPC macs off USB with no problems.

tom vilsack
Sep 7, 2012, 10:27 PM
try this...

power off...

Restart your powerbook and hold down the click-bar on your trackpad.

AQUADock
Sep 8, 2012, 03:04 PM
What you could try to do is eject the disk then quickly turn off the machine by holding down on the power button, the disk should stay partially out as you said and then you could try and take it out with a tweezer or something.

jbarley
Sep 8, 2012, 03:34 PM
What you could try to do is eject the disk then quickly turn off the machine by holding down on the power button, the disk should stay partially out as you said and then you could try and take it out with a tweezer or something.
I had a G4 Cube that had this same problem, everything worked fine except for the short-stroked eject.
I use to wait with a pair of tweezers right at the ejection slot, much like a cat watching a mouse-hole, as soon as the CD showed itself I'd pounce.
Worked almost every time.
BTW I coated the tips of the tweezers with a layer of rubber cement, pliobond if memory serves me, both to aid if gripping and help prevent scratching the disc.