Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Pardon me if I missed the existing thread discussing this.

Is it true that the Samsung SSD is considerably faster than the Toshiba, or about the same?

I recall reading the Toshiba is at mid 200's via BlackMagic test vs the Samsung at mid 400's.

Thank you in advance.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Is it true that the Samsung SSD is considerably faster than the Toshiba, or about the same?

I recall reading the Toshiba is at mid 200's via BlackMagic test vs the Samsung at mid 400's.

Thank you in advance.

My 2012 MBA with Toshiba TS128E got about 260 write 420 read. My current 2012 MBA with the SM256E SSD gets about 390 write 450 read.

So the Samsung is a little bit faster, but not dramatically faster. It's doubtful you will notice a difference.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Thank you in advance.

Give this Anandtech test a read. They are about the same. Toshiba ahead in some tests, Samsung in others.

The only time the Samsung would be favored is if you plan to run Filevault2. Due to the way the Sandforce controller in the Toshiba handles incompressible data, it makes it slower than the Samsung with incompressible data. (Enabling FV2 essentially makes all your data incompressible.)

----------

Samsung will be better due to the controller and the garbage collection algorithm in it. Initially performance will be the same, but as time progresses you will start seeing the difference in write cycles.

You have a source for this?

I have not seen any data that either controller is better over time. Also, both drives have native TRIM support from OS X, so write speed deterioration over time is not going to happen,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.