PDA

View Full Version : Need a fast PDF Reader/Annotator (please read)

mhs91
Sep 7, 2012, 07:27 PM
I am a scriptwriting student so we get a lot of scripts to read that were scanned and are very huge files. I need to annotate these scripts while in class.

The problem is I have tried: iBooks, Kindle, Notability, and even Notes Plus. The pdf opens but takes a long time to load (even after it has been saved), every page shows up as blank and then it takes several seconds before the page starts to load (so a quarter every several seconds will load). Before I go ahead and start wasting money on apps, can anyone recommend a fast pdf annotator that I can get? I don't mind spending money but it has to be fast.

Edit: I own the new iPad 16gb.

pdfmax
Sep 7, 2012, 10:28 PM
I am a scriptwriting student so we get a lot of scripts to read that were scanned and are very huge files. I need to annotate these scripts while in class.

The problem is I have tried: iBooks, Kindle, Notability, and even Notes Plus. The pdf opens but takes a long time to load (even after it has been saved), every page shows up as blank and then it takes several seconds before the page starts to load (so a quarter every several seconds will load). Before I go ahead and start wasting money on apps, can anyone recommend a fast pdf annotator that I can get? I don't mind spending money but it has to be fast.

Edit: I own the new iPad 16gb.

Hi msh91,

Have you tried PDF Max yet? Our app has the quality you need, plus it's FREE to download! You can have a look at here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id540572073

Cheers :)

mhs91
Sep 8, 2012, 12:35 AM
Hi msh91,

Have you tried PDF Max yet? Our app has the quality you need, plus it's FREE to download! You can have a look at here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id540572073

Cheers :)

I just tried it. It does not let me highlight or annotate scanned PDF's.

drewfus
Sep 8, 2012, 10:46 AM
I just started using Notes Plus..It works nicely for annotating and highlighting.

mhs91
Sep 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
I just started using Notes Plus..It works nicely for annotating and highlighting.

Please read my post. My files are so big that NotesPlus can't open them without lagging.

steveoc
Sep 9, 2012, 10:29 AM
I routinely debind and scan books, then apply OCR. The files are huge. My approach to this is to reduce the size of the PDFs before I even load them on to the iPad.

I use Acrobat Pro to do that, but there are a number of other ways to do so without the expense of Acrobat Pro. Just do a google search.

I can usually reduce the size of a scanned/OCRed file to 1/3 the original size.

I read the resultant files in iAnnotate and the performance is fine.