Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8er123

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
Hey everybody,
I was looking at some ibook clamshells on ebay and they looked really cool but the best ones only sport a 366 g3. So I was wondering if i got a 1.33 g4 12" ibook and "put it inside the clamshell" for lack of a better phrase, would it be possible? I plan to show my clamshell to friends but there not going to be impressed if they can't even log into fb.
Thanks,
sk8erdude

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
It won't fit. The logicboard inside those G3 iBooks is actually shaped the same as the computer & thats just that one part.

Sorcerer1

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I wonder if there are other distros which can handle the clamshell specs? They are tiny by todays standards, and any flash is probably out of the question. Is it possible to log on to FB with alternative browsers like Dillo? The small lightweigth linux distros like puppy linux doesn`t come in powerpc version unfortunately. Lubuntu, Debian and mintppc would probably install, but how it will run I don`t know. Old hardware like this is not worth paying much for, if at all. If you are given one it might be fun to try though.

Edit; I just bumped into this; there might be hope. I have had equally old regular PC run all fine with different open source distros, but they tend to have double cpu and ram specs, I have never used a clamshell.

Last edited:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Buy your clamshell and forget osx..install mac os 9.2 (upgrade to 9.2.2)...then install classilla web browser...facebook away and impress your friends!

picture.php

sk8er123

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy one as a true piece of apple history.
Thanks again:apple:

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
In case MacOS 9 isn't sufficient, you could go with Debian, run FVWM, and use Midori as your main web browser. It's extremely easy to configure through apt-get and I've used it on 192 MB of RAM and the performance was amazing.

Darvadee

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
San Francisco
Someone has modded the Clamshell... and here it is!

I'd seen youtube videos of a guy who was modernizing a clamshell, and thought it was interesting. He uses a MacBook Air innards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm_PC6yLvIU&list=PLTFQl8aMAxqwVhbxf8LcWAroqFA6lKphh&index=5

He's now selling them on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/iBook-G3-Cl...920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fef7c458

for 2,700 - NOT including the MacBook Air - which you must provide or pay for and he will purchase it for you.

Personally, I love the old clamshell. I got one for my son for his first laptop, when they first came out, and got a souped up one again when he was in HS for him to take to school with him. They were sturdy for that purpose, and he loved it, as well.

Yes, the screen was tiny, but ... for word processing and other schoolwork it worked fine. Now, I'm not tempted to buy this for this kind of price, but this thread peaked my interest, and I pulled the old clamshell out of the closet where all my old macs are stacked. And - it still feels pretty cool. Now to find the yoyo plug and see if it will power up ...

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I actually use my Clamshell as a gaming laptop-albeit for older games(which are really the only ones I play).

It's plenty fast for programs designed to run on a 601 or 603 processor, plus has a ton more memory and better graphics than the computers that these were designed to run on. The screen resolution is a plus for the games that I play on it, as many old full screen games were designed for a 640x480 screen and the 800x600 screen reduces the "windowing" effect seen on higher resolution screens.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
I'd seen youtube videos of a guy who was modernizing a clamshell, and thought it was interesting. He uses a MacBook Air innards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm_PC6yLvIU&list=PLTFQl8aMAxqwVhbxf8LcWAroqFA6lKphh&index=5

He's now selling them on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/iBook-G3-Cl...920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fef7c458

for 2,700 - NOT including the MacBook Air - which you must provide or pay for and he will purchase it for you.

Ooo:eek:

This is interesting. The cost is too much for me though.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.