Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
is any one else looking at all 3? They all seem to be great upcoming phones and now with windows phone 8 being what it should have been at the beginning, I'm really considering switching. Not sure if I'm not going to wait until the other 2 come out and decide which one to go for. I'm not expecting the samsung to as well built as the iphone but I'm not sure what to expect from nokia these days. And we all know that the iphone is going to be well built (no question there)
anyway - what do you guys think about those 3?

Idarrin96

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
I think you should wait to see what the iPhone 5 has to offer and if it's what you need if it's not I would go for the lumia 920 I own a lumia 900 and an iPhone 4s and my lumia is by far better but my 4s line has an upgrade so I'm going to get the iPhone 5 but you should just wait til we'd to make your decision

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
I've been with iPhone for 4 years. Just purchased a Lumia 710 and I've ditched my iPhone. In conclusion, Windows is the future for now I think. iPhone is just so boring now. My £100 Lumia is as fast, if not faster than the iPhone 4s.

R3DH3R0

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Well I'd at least wait till after the Keynote on Weds so you can at least find out if the new iPhone is what you want. I've used all sorts of phones with all sorts of OS's. I've used Blackberry, iOS, WebOS, Android, and Windows 7 mobile. Besides iOS, webOS and Windows 7 mobile were my favorites, but since HP no longer supports WebOS, that's out. Windows phones seemed more fluid and responsive than android phones, they seemed to work better, not freeze up, and I liked the interface better. The thing about Windows phones is they are lacking in apps, but that's all in your preference, some people couldn't care less about apps. Go to a cellular store and try them out and see which one you like most. I love my iPhone too much to switch, but had Windows, Palm, Android etc phones as 2nd phones for business and because I like trying new products.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I am picking up the Iphone 5 just to tide me over until the windows phones are released. I have been really tired of iOS for a couple years now. I would have switched to WP awhile ago but Verizon only had the focus, that is about to change as they will have all the flagship devices from HTC, Samsung and Nokia it looks like now.

1. Samsung ATIV S looks very impressive in the build quality department, completely wrapped in metal other than the screen it looks like. Very solid phone according to all the websites out there who had a hands on with it. This should put aside any build quality issues when complaining about Samsungs phones. The ATIV will be my second choice though

2. Nokia 920...Pure love, phone looks great. I have never had a Nokia phone but they have always been regarding as the best for reception I guess. This and there design is seemingly different from everyone elses. The phone just looks fresh and with WP8, i think they will have a HUGE winner here once it hits all the carriers in a month or two. The camera I am curious about as its being touted as the next best thing out there. This will be my first choice of WP8.

muy picante

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
If iphone5 will be same as leaked, i will take lumia 920 - to me it seems more balanced from design point of view. If apple will surprise me - I will surely buy new one, after jailbreak offcourse.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Windows Phone is HORRIBLE!

I'll give you a simple example, WP fans are asking Microsoft for a notification centre, which means that as a UI paradigm, WP has failed, because tiles are supposed to be the notifiers.

Next, Apple specifically changed the switches in iOS from square to oval because human deals with oval shapes easier than squares... WP is all square.

The colours... or the lack of them, such a monotonous OS. iOS' colours are done with intelligence, it's obvious that lots of thought went into the UI colours. WP? Nothing.

The icons look like they were designed in MSPaint.

The OS does not appeal to users, they advertise it over and over, the hardware is great, but people just don't want to use it.

WP lacks applications, no one wants to bother with it unless Microsoft pays them.

Bottomline: If you think iOS is boring, you've got a surprise coming with WP, you'll be bored with it in less than a week and then you'll crawl back to the iPhone... like a bird on it's belly.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816

I'll give you a simple example, WP fans are asking Microsoft for a notification centre, which means that as a UI paradigm, WP has failed, because tiles are supposed to be the notifiers.

Next, Apple specifically changed the switches in iOS from square to oval because human deals with oval shapes easier than squares... WP is all square.

The colours... or the lack of them, such a monotonous OS. iOS' colours are done with intelligence, it's obvious that lots of thought went into the UI colours. WP? Nothing.

The OS does not appeal to users, they advertise it over and over, the hardware is great, but people just don't want to use it.

WP lacks applications, no one wants to bother with it unless Microsoft pays them.

Bottomline: If you think iOS is boring, you've got a surprise coming with WP, you'll be bored with it in less than a week and then you'll crawl back to the iPhone... like a bird on it's belly.

iOS also has some issues, particularly with all the skeumorphism. Windows phone also doesn't look that bad, but the lack of apps is a deal breaker. Windows mobile although does look a tad bit too monochrome

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010

There are issues (dont know enough about the OS), but I liked the design and looks of the OS when I played with my friend's Lumia. The phone itself looks really nice, kind of like a bigger iPod nano. love the colors you can get the phone in. Wish :apple: would add some colors to the iPhone.

Last edited:

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana

Believe it or not some of us do like WP. I really enjoy WP7 and am looking forward to WP8. I am very interested to see how WP performs on the same hardware as the latest androids.

As far as which phone to choose, WP8 hasn't been completely revealed yet, along with the next iphone, so why not wait a bit until we know all the ins and outs of both.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
The lumia 920 is a beautiful phone, but it won't have many apps to use at the beginning. Also Windows Phone has more exclusive Lumia apps. Nokia Music alone would sway me toward a Lumia.

Currently I would say:

iPhone 5/6 > Lumia 920 > Samsung Ativ S

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
The lumia 920 is a beautiful phone, but it won't have many apps to use at the beginning. Also Windows Phone has more exclusive Lumia apps. Nokia Music alone would sway me toward a Lumia.

If WP7 apps are compatible to WP8 then you start with over 100,000 to chose from.

Also Windows Phone has more exclusive Lumia apps. Nokia Music alone would sway me toward a Lumia.

The Nokia free navigation plus the free maps alone would sway me toward a Lumia.[/QUOTE]

but the lack of apps is a deal breaker.

WP8 ain't out yet. WP7 had over 100,000 apps in the Marketplace in June.

I did setup a Lumia 800 (WP7) for a friend. I installed Facebook, Whatsapp, Tango and a few more of the well known apps. It was all there.

Free offline Navi, plus free maps for 100+ countries is nice too.

Marketplace is also more free, you can get apps from other countries easily. With iTunes you are stuck with one countries store only - and can't even get free apps from other regions. One of the big iTunes annoyances.

Last edited:

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
if wp7 apps are compatible to wp8 then you start with over 100,000 to chose from.

The nokia free navigation plus the free maps alone would sway me toward a lumia.

Wp8 ain't out yet. Wp7 had over 100,000 apps in the marketplace in june.

I did setup a lumia 800 (wp7) for a friend. I installed facebook, whatsapp, tango and a few more of the well known apps. It was all there.

Free offline navi, plus free maps for 100+ countries is nice too.

Marketplace is also more free, you can get apps from other countries easily. With itunes you are stuck with one countries store only - and can't even get free apps from other regions. One of the big itunes annoyances.

100,000 < 625,000

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Windows Phone isn't even worth considering yet, to be honest.

After what they did with Windows Phone 7 users, nobody in their right mind would go with WP again.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
100,000 < 625,000

Either number is more then I need or more then I can install on one device. What I actually wanted to say, the number of apps after a certain number is pointless. You find what you need for any device.

Windows Phone isn't even worth considering yet, to be honest.

After what they did with Windows Phone 7 users, nobody in their right mind would go with WP again.

What they did? Can only say that the Lumia 800 is great and works perfectly well.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
What they did? Can only say that the Lumia 800 is great and works perfectly well.
Microsoft dumped a load of pain on every Windows Phone 7.5 buyer this year. Anybody who bought a phone up until the first WP8 phone is sold this year will NOT be able to upgrade their phone to WP8. Every single Windows Phone user right now can't go past v7.X.

Since that announcement, WP7 users have been dumping their phones on Ebay and Craigslist like crazy. I saw a listing on the XDA marketplace for a Lumia 900 selling for $205 today.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Anybody who bought a phone up until the first WP8 phone is sold this year will NOT be able to upgrade their phone to WP8. Every single Windows Phone user right now can't go past v7.X.

When I bought the 800 I knew it can't run WP8. 7.5 runs very smooth. OK, the only thing I miss a screenshot function, but that wasn't a deal breaker.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'll see what the iPhone 5 offers on wednesday and consider my options.

The Nokia Lumia 920 is on my radar as a potential plan B.

I think Windows Phone 8 has the chops to be a contender.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Windows 8 looks like one of those games made for 3 year olds.....the old thing going for it is all these office suits and xbox IMO.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Either number is more then I need or more then I can install on one device. What I actually wanted to say, the number of apps after a certain number is pointless. You find what you need for any device.

Please use your common sense. More apps from the app store means a wider variety of choices. If there was only one color to choose from to paint your house, would you be more contempt as opposed to many more to choose from? More choices = better. If people generally have 50 apps on their device, does it make sense that the app store should only have 50 apps? NO!

epicfailguy2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I don't think that 50x duplicates of the same fart or cat app on the app store makes the variety of apps wider alongside the marketing numbers. 100.000 apps is far enough to have about every function you need imo and WP apps are very very well designed because they follow a strict UI unity chart that's even tighter than on iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.