Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
I noticed that besides SN, there is UPC number beneath the small barcode beside "UPC".

Is the UPC number eligible to be used as another kind of identification for iPod touch besides SN (assuming that UPC numbers are specific for each SN of an iPod touch)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
UPCs are the same for ever product of the same type. Thus, all 64GB 4G iPod Touches have the same UPC.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Nope, should be the same for that specific config. which is why serial numbers are also used, no reason to be redundant otherwise ;)

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Well, if the UPC barcodes are the same for each type of iPods, what about the barcode beneath the SN.

A local Apple Service Provider told me that somehow the barcode does not match the SN. It happened when I brought my iPod to be repaired since it had an awful battery life. He said that some of the insides doesn't belong to my iPod. Apparently, my iPod touch with the SN was an unit which had been put into service by someone else and the guy get a replacement iPod with another SN. So, how could I've purchased a troublesome unit ?

He asked me to show him the Support Profile to make sure that it's really mine. I can't register the SN to the profile because it had been registered to other AppleID since the time of the purchase. Therefore, I showed him the purchase receipt but he said that even a receipt could be a bogus one.

I thought UPC number would be specific for each iPod so it would be able to be used as another basis of identification. What should I do in this situation ?

I guess I might've been ripped off by the store who sold me this iPod.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Who sold you the device?

My guess is that you bought a broken unit that was resold as new and that the serial number on the box label was faked. I'd guess that you did not buy it from an Apple authorized reseller.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Who sold you the device?

My guess is that you bought a broken unit that was resold as new and that the serial number on the box label was faked. I'd guess that you did not buy it from an Apple authorized reseller.

Well, I bought the unit from a well-known computer store in my country. Most of my friends bought their apple products (including iMacs and macbooks) there without any hassle, so I had no suspicion before going to the store.

I saw myself that the box was still in white paper encasing the acrylic box and the seal was in mint condition (the seal on top had the "open" grey marking). The bottom of the box had the sticker pasted on the inner white cardbox on which the SN and Part Number was printed. The technician at the store unsealed it in front of me and activated it for me.

I've watched a couple of unboxing videos from youtube before purchasing, so I believed that I knew how should a fresh ipod packaging looks like.

Could someone actually repacked an used iPod touch with the new seal ? I mean, how could somebody actually get hold of Apple iPod touch box seal ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.