Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Weird problem, all works fine, except when i shut the laptop off and close the lid, it turns back on in few seconds!

Runs OSX 10.8.1 (clean install no other SW) - all software updates installed.

When i don't close the lid, it stays turned off.

Sleep mode works fine when i close and open the lid while the system is running.

* tested it even more, as i start closing the lid, it automatically turns one when the lid is about 10mm from fully closed.

???

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Essentially the sleep mechanism is based upon magnets so when the lid closes it detects the magnet and puts it to sleep. In your case however looks like the polarity has been reversed. Go to Apple and tell them to polarize it. They will know what to do.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Essentially the sleep mechanism is based upon magnets so when the lid closes it detects the magnet and puts it to sleep. In your case however looks like the polarity has been reversed. Go to Apple and tell them to polarize it. They will know what to do.

I'm aware of the magnets for sleep/closed lid detection. Sleep mode works as it should when the laptops is turned ON. how can that cause problems and turning the laptop ON again when it's OFF ?

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
An update:

i ran a calibration cycle on the battery. full charge - discharge - charge (with proper wait time).

then tried SMC reset again. now it seems working fine ! :)

i tried SMC reset before with no luck, the battery cycle and SMC after helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.