Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floydts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Florida
I am trying to use Messages on my iMac (Mountain Lion OS). When friend try to use Messages on their computer to call my Messages (ichat) account, it automatically opens a Facetime connection on both computers. Need to use Messages so we can share files.

What is going on here? Thanks for replies.

floydts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Florida
No one else has this problem? Am I imagining this? Or is this not the right place to address this issue? Just wondering.

floydts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Florida
Cannot initiate iMessages session - Facetime opens

The situation is When my friend tries to contact me using iMessages, Facetime session opens up. We don't want to use FaceTime.

We cleared all the ichat, messages, FaceTime prefs from library and restarted messages.

Made sure apple id user is correct on friend's computer. Account enabled.

We want to be able to share screen and share files like in the old days with ichat. We cannot.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Maybe this quote from the messages documentation will help.

You can share screens using AIM (including me.com and Mac.com), Jabber, Google Talk, and Bonjour. You can’t share screens using iMessage or Yahoo!.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Yep, need to be using AIM or Jabber for that, and while your AppleID used to set up as an AIM account, with the introduction of iMessages that changed. Try setting it up as an AIM account, and just using your AppleID information.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.