PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions from a server newbie

Kaji
Sep 9, 2012, 01:31 AM
Small family business where everyone runs OS X, about a half-dozen machines total. We decided to set up OS X Server so we could centralize resources like contacts and calendars, as well as to keep files everyone is working with. I've got a background dealing with web hosting, so I thought I would more or less know what I'm doing, but now that I've got it set up, I'm about a foot over my head. Got a couple questions to help me get my bearings; any help is appreciated!

Big starting issue here: Since turning on Server, it seems that every folder on my machine down to /Users has become a shared folder. Is there a simple way to restrict this to specific folders on the computer?

Setting up a VPN at server.[insert name].private, and I've been able to access it from the server itself and a Leopard box on the network, but an Air running ML that was also on the same network returned an error that stated the server didn't exist. What should I look at to try and fix the visibility issue?

Thanks for the help!

alain651
Sep 9, 2012, 07:49 AM
You need to set up and create your User & Group name and give then access to the share folders, this will fix your problems...

Also some good information to read is:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/the-server-simplified-a-power-users-guide-to-os-x-server/

also lynda.com on apple server video... its an excellent learning tools.

you should get a proper Domain name so you can post your website, setup DNS and have proper VPN... using local name is very limited

Hope this can help

Emilio G
Sep 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
The way I got my feet wet with Lion Server and transitioned to ML Server was to go to YouTube and checkout videos by a guy named Todd Olthoff.

His videos cover every service of Server and they run about 10 to 15 minutes each. They are AWESOME.

I would recommend starting your Server from scratch and go along with him in setting it up.

If you have any other questions, simply ask. Good luck!