Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drguitarum2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I like the idea of iMessage. I have unlimited texting so that part of it isn't too important to me but I like the integration of chats and how it can send pictures more quickly and heck, I like blue more than green.

But iMessage will be the absolute death of me! Here's an example:
I was iMessaging my girlfriend from my PHONE (with my phone number) to her PHONE (with her phone number, no emails involved). Everything was fine. Conversation was showing up perfectly on my iPad too (although out of order. Thing that makes me mad #1). She sent me a picture. This appeared as a NEW iMessage thread from her@appleid.com (thing that makes me mad #2). I added her email address to her contact, still two threads. I deleted both threads, deleting the history (thing that makes me mad #3) and am now waiting to see what happens. On my iPad, everything that was from her email never showed up in that conversation, only the phone number stuff.

To me this is all unacceptable per what iMessage is advertised to do. I've waste HOURS of my time online trying to figure out iMessage and tried every setting possible on all my devices and all her devices. I will bet money that as soon as I "have it figured out", I will get a second thread from the same person, or she will, or they won't sync between devices.

What's the point of such a feature if it's supposed to provide seamless integration between iOS devices and allow you to send via internet instead of cell network?

To add to it all, I often work in an area with barely an Edge signal. iMessage will NOT go through at all when this is the case. That's fine, but why the heck won't it automatically send as SMS? It fails, puts a red dot next to it, which I have to manually press, select "send as text" and it sends no problem. Seems to me thats the point of the "automatically send as sms" option if your iMessage fails. That feature has never ever worked even once for me.

Anyone else have frustrations with iMessage and just given up and turned it off?

----------

I might also add that when I am in an "Edge" area and my girlfriend (who isn't too tech-savvy) messages my email address inadvertently, I don't get ANY texts from her. She will text me for up to a week and never get a reply because I never received them due to slow internet connection. That to me is also unacceptable.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I gave up on it a long time ago. I'll give it another try when they integrate phone numbers with Apple IDs. But for now it's really not worth it for me since I have unlimited texting and standard SMS is more reliable than iMessage.

Appleseeds

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2012
Nope. I love it and never have had any issue with it. Works perfectly and in sync with all my iOS devices and Mac.

ankurshr

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Halifax, NS
Try changing the following setting in both yours and your girlfriend's iPhones:
Settings -> Messages -> Receive At -> Apple ID

This might fix some of your worries.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Try changing the following setting in both yours and your girlfriend's iPhones:
Settings -> Messages -> Receive At -> Apple ID

This might fix some of your worries.
Until iOS 6 comes out and allows iPads to receive iMessages sent to a telephone number, that's what I've done.

I've had maybe 10 (out of a zillion) iMessages arrive out of order on my iPad/Mac.

No other problems.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I never give up.

It's been buggy for me too. However I've simply chosen to ignore it and wait until Apple gets it debugged.

I have other alternatives that are very reliable solutions. They are filling my needs quite nicely.

adamlee

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
I love it but there are certain issues that make it rather frustrating to use. Texting through imessage works well but photos are a pain in the rear end. I'm sure we are all excited for iOS6

pyropringle

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Has the OP found any solutions now that iOs 6 is out? I had been having this same problem.

My girlfriend and I would be sending iMessages back and forth using our phones (over our phone numbers). I would receive these on the messages app on my macbook as well. But as soon as I tried replying to her on my macbook, it would open a new message thread on her phone, since it was coming from my email now and not my phone number. She would get confused, and complain she didnt know which one to reply to.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Has the OP found any solutions now that iOs 6 is out? I had been having this same problem.

My girlfriend and I would be sending iMessages back and forth using our phones (over our phone numbers). I would receive these on the messages app on my macbook as well. But as soon as I tried replying to her on my macbook, it would open a new message thread on her phone, since it was coming from my email now and not my phone number. She would get confused, and complain she didnt know which one to reply to.
This is fixed as of iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.2. You absolutely must have iOS 6 installed on your phone in addition to OS X 10.8.2 on your computer - it isn't enough to just have OS X 10.8.2. Once they're both installed, the computer will prompt you to associate your phone number with it (as well as your iPad, if you have one running iOS 6). At that point, the phone number becomes your default "caller ID" for messages. I've tested this out and it seems to work perfectly so far.

drguitarum2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I noticed when I installed iOS 6 this morning that it wanted to associate my Apple ID and phone number together. Haven't gotten a chance to test anything yet. Busy at work! My iPad should be updating at home as I speak so I'll get to test it tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions yall.

Chrisw37

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
iMessage is screwing up with me on a 4s and iPad with iOS 6. I sent my wife a text yesterday to her 4S with the iPad and got her response. Today she sent a text and it only showed up on the iPad and not my phone. I did a test with the phone and then it would show up on which ever device sent the initial message or reply. Has anyone had this issue? Still can't get it to work.

drguitarum2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
iMessage is screwing up with me on a 4s and iPad with iOS 6. I sent my wife a text yesterday to her 4S with the iPad and got her response. Today she sent a text and it only showed up on the iPad and not my phone. I did a test with the phone and then it would show up on which ever device sent the initial message or reply. Has anyone had this issue? Still can't get it to work.

It's been messing up for me too with ios 6. My fiance and I each updated to ios 6 last night and all day today I was texting her at her phone number and she never received a single one. She was texting my phone number in the same thread we've used for a long time and I never got a single one of those. If I text her email address and vice versa, we get it fine. That defeats the purpose. Everyone HAS my phone number. No one has my email address nor am I going to tell everyone in my phone to message me there, thats retarded. She and I both have iMessage "tied" to Apple ID and phone number in the new settings and "from" is set to our phone numbers. If I initiate a message to her phone number, it doesn't turn blue and doesn't recognize that she has iMessage. It DOES turn blue if I message her email address but I'm not going to text message someones email address.

Anyone else still hate iMessage? I turned mine off and Apple lost some of my support for their inability to do something simple.

Chrisw37

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
I just got off the phone with apple care and the lady on the other end says " That is the strangest thing I have heard, you should never have that problem" 2 minutes later she comes back and tells me I am using iChat that is the issue. I explain to her that I am not using that program and she says "I think it is a glitch in your devices." I turned everything off and reset the device and now all the texts now come to my phone instead her device. Grrrr:mad:

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
It's been messing up for me too with ios 6. My fiance and I each updated to ios 6 last night and all day today I was texting her at her phone number and she never received a single one. She was texting my phone number in the same thread we've used for a long time and I never got a single one of those. If I text her email address and vice versa, we get it fine. That defeats the purpose. Everyone HAS my phone number. No one has my email address nor am I going to tell everyone in my phone to message me there, thats retarded. She and I both have iMessage "tied" to Apple ID and phone number in the new settings and "from" is set to our phone numbers. If I initiate a message to her phone number, it doesn't turn blue and doesn't recognize that she has iMessage. It DOES turn blue if I message her email address but I'm not going to text message someones email address.

Anyone else still hate iMessage? I turned mine off and Apple lost some of my support for their inability to do something simple.
It is pretty simple, but it's not fool-proof yet. I think it'll be much better once we're past the transition stage.

Case in point, I changed my Apple ID email address today, which meant that I had to go through all three devices (computer, iPhone, iPad) and change the ID's. In the process, my computer and iPad lost the ability to associate with the phone number, and reverted back to email addresses. I sent a message from my computer to my wife's phone number, and it appeared as being from the email address; even after I re-associated the phone number with my computer, messages sent from the computer continued to appear as being from the email address. We had to delete the conversation thread. Messaging after that appeared from the phone number, and has been fine since.

seanpercival01

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
There are certain issues that make it rather frustrating to use. Texting through imessage works well but photos are a pain in the rear end. I'm sure we are all excited for iOS6....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.