PDA

View Full Version : Using an iBook as a desktop

Steadmuffin
Aug 13, 2005, 07:15 PM
Hey all. I just have a simple question. I just got my 1.33 ghz 12" iBook last week, and will be using it as my desktop, as well as a portable for school. I didn't think about this before ordering it, but I'm either going to have to leave it plugged in for extended periods of time, or be contantly discharging and recharging the battery while using it as a desktop. Is it bad to leave an iBook plugged in to the power adapter even after it's fully charged? Will this harm battery life in some way? Over-heat the power adapter or battery?

Thanks a lot for any input you guys (and girls) have.

mad jew
Aug 13, 2005, 07:21 PM
Leave it plugged in, it'll be fine. :)

Apple's battery page. (http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html)

cleo
Aug 13, 2005, 07:34 PM
I've been doing this very thing for years and have never had any trouble leaving it plugged in. Enjoy!

mjstew33
Aug 13, 2005, 07:44 PM
I've used my iBook as a desktop (what i'm currently using) since the screen broke.. if u'd like to know more about what happened search for "my BRAND NEW iBook... It's gone :("
You'll be able to find it in Macintosh Computers

Hope that helps...

here's the link to that thread link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=142585)

CubaTBird
Aug 13, 2005, 08:58 PM
yeah ever since i got my ibook in june of 04' i have left it plugged into the wall no problem.. in fact i should probably run the battery down soon.. they say once a month is good enough? :confused: anyway but yeah, i still get around 4 hours plus of battery life which i find quite swell :D

dadio2002
Aug 13, 2005, 10:06 PM
I would think any type of notebook computer wouldn't be well developed if it harms the battery to leave it plugged in.

Like everyone else said, Its fine to leave it plugged in.

Chrispy
Aug 13, 2005, 10:50 PM
Yep keep that thing plugged in it will be fine. Just be sure to run the battery down once every one or two months to recalibrate it. Back in the stone age you had to be careful with batteries but now batteries are more intelligent and not as easily confused by being plugged in a lot.