PDA

View Full Version : G3 10.3 install wont update

MaxHeap
Sep 9, 2012, 08:02 PM
I have a B&W G3 that I just put 10.3 on and it wont automatically software update. It says all software is up to date. I've reinstalled it several times, so that cant be it. Any ideas?

Intell
Sep 9, 2012, 08:21 PM
Have you tried manually downloading the update and installing it? Which update is it not installing?

MaxHeap
Sep 9, 2012, 08:42 PM
Have you tried manually downloading the update and installing it? Which update is it not installing?

I had 10.3 installed on another G3 and it went through and installed several updates and the 10.3.9 combo. This one always says no updates are available. I can manually download 10.3.9 and install, but nothing else updates even after I did that (iMovie, etc).

Ariii
Sep 9, 2012, 08:59 PM
I had 10.3 installed on another G3 and it went through and installed several updates and the 10.3.9 combo. This one always says no updates are available. I can manually download 10.3.9 and install, but nothing else updates even after I did that (iMovie, etc).

Which version of 10.3 is on your G3?

EDIT: Nevermind, I misunderstood your question. Sorry.

tom vilsack
Sep 10, 2012, 01:15 AM
Same thing happened to me while trying to update 10.3 on a imac G4 800...update runs but show nothing.

DrakkenWar
Sep 10, 2012, 01:59 AM
I know it has been suggested before, but no one has said if they had any success with applying the combo update manually. I know I had this issue a few years back with my DA/533. After wiping the drives and installing Panther, I had no way to push up to 10.3.9. Grabbing the update from apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2464

This is an older link, so your use may vary, but I can attest to the fact that each time I had to archive and reinstall, it worked for me.

doctormark77
Sep 10, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'm also trying to update an iBook G3 running panther. I grabbed the combo update manually and stumbled upon this link...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5405
So no more automagic updates for anything less than tiger.

I've tried to grab as much as I can so here is what I've gotten so far...

Here's java QuickTime and the combo update all on one page.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22415?viewlocale=en_US

Security Updates...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
If you go to the bottom of the page you can see links to older date ranges, such as...
Apple security updates (15-Jan-2008 to 03-Dec-2009)
Apple security updates (25-Jan-2005 to 21-Dec-2007)
Apple security updates (03-Oct-2003 to 11-Jan-2005)
Then I'm searching the downloads section for security update on these lists that pertains to OS X 10.3.9.

Maybe someone else can chime in, am I downloading more security updates than what I need to?

*edit* after going through the lists, it looks like most of the updates include the older ones, the file sizes progressively gets bigger. I'm going to install the latest update and all of the updates that were not said to be included in other packages. Ill report back afterwards.

MaxHeap
Sep 10, 2012, 07:05 PM
I'm also trying to update an iBook G3 running panther. I grabbed the combo update manually and stumbled upon this link...

They are trying really hard to get rid of us! Thanks for the links and verifying that I'm not crazy, since I would have updated another machine on 10.3 around the time they made it obsolete.

tayloralmond
Sep 10, 2012, 07:34 PM

I guess this day was bound to come eventually. Given Apple's track record, I'm surprised they provided vintage system updates for this long...especially OS 9, seeing as it was "laid to rest" over 10 years ago. I wrote a short article about it on MyMacCollection to help spread the word.

Nermal
Sep 10, 2012, 07:41 PM
Given Apple's track record, I'm surprised they provided vintage system updates for this long...especially OS 9

On the other hand, there can't have been too many people hitting the update server and therefore wouldn't be putting much strain on it. I wonder whether it's simply a case of it breaking and Apple not bothering to fix it.

I'm not at home at the moment; does anyone know whether it's possible to get a list of installed updates under OS 9? I'd like to make a backup CD with the full set of updates in case I ever need to reinstall. Some of them are obvious like the 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updates, but I also recall something to the effect of "Disc Burning Update" which makes my FireWire DVD drive work, and I'm sure that I've installed other updates on there too!

tom vilsack
Sep 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
DM77...nice find.

ps: speaking of panther...anyone have a good browser?

-safari ver is way to old
-tenfourfox is a no go
-camino is older ver and some pages get script errors
-classilla (if i could run mac os of this imac i would)
-opera,like camino it has it's moments
-icab also gets errors ect

so any good ideas?

MaxHeap
Sep 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
*edit* after going through the lists, it looks like most of the updates include the older ones, the file sizes progressively gets bigger. I'm going to install the latest update and all of the updates that were not said to be included in other packages. Ill report back afterwards.

What did you find out on the updates? I think we should make this the one stop shopping for links for 10.3 once we figure out all the needed updates.

Also, since Tenfourkit is out for browsing, wonder how hard it would be to port to 10.3?

doctormark77
Sep 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
I've been swamped at work but I've got a couple of days off, I was a little hasty and didn't document what I loaded but I am going to do the same thing to an iMac g4 so I will document that. I'm also going to load a Quicksilver with tiger so I will document that for when the time comes for tiger. I'm currently in school for c++ so after i soak that up I'll pick up objective c. My goal is to dev for our platform, but thats a pipe dream at the moment. I'll get it done though! Maybe when we get it all documented we can pass it to skinniezinho and add it to the sticky.

doctormark77
Sep 16, 2012, 12:26 AM
What did you find out on the updates? I think we should make this the one stop shopping for links for 10.3 once we figure out all the needed updates.

Also, since Tenfourkit is out for browsing, wonder how hard it would be to port to 10.3?

I've got my list at the bottom of my post. As I take more classes and get more versed in programming in general I'd like to poke around with porting a browser. I'm no were near capable of doing that right now though.

DM77...nice find.

ps: speaking of panther...anyone have a good browser?

-safari ver is way to old
-tenfourfox is a no go
-camino is older ver and some pages get script errors
-classilla (if i could run mac os of this imac i would)
-opera,like camino it has it's moments
-icab also gets errors ect

so any good ideas?

Thanks Tom! I'm using camino currently, I've disabled java and flash as the versions of flash and java panther can use are pretty dated. I'm worried about their security and overall stability. All I really do on the machines running Panther is visit this forum and download updates lol.

I guess this day was bound to come eventually. Given Apple's track record, I'm surprised they provided vintage system updates for this long...especially OS 9, seeing as it was "laid to rest" over 10 years ago. I wrote a short article about it on MyMacCollection to help spread the word.

I just read your article. I like your blog! Definitely bookmarked.

They are trying really hard to get rid of us! Thanks for the links and verifying that I'm not crazy, since I would have updated another machine on 10.3 around the time they made it obsolete.

No prob! It had me scratching my head too.

Ok I've upgraded and patched a fresh Panther install and a fresh Tiger install. The Panther list is a result of digging through apple downloads and loading the updates manually. As you all know Tiger can still use software update so the Tiger list is 100% solid. I had some odd issues with some Panther updates, a 2006 security update and Java for OS X 10.3 Update 5 to be specific. Anywho here it goes.

Panther
10.3.9 Combo Update
Security Update 2005-005
Security Update 2005-006
Security Update 2005-007
The 2006 security updates all the way to the 2007 security updates seem to start including previous updates, such as 2006-004 including 2006-003. Security Update 2006-005 appeared to be the one exception to this, it would not let me install it though.
Security Update 2007-008
Airport 4.1 Update (Lets you join WPA protected wireless networks.)
Java Update 1.4.2 Update 2
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Java_Update_1_4_2_Update_2
Quicktime 7.4
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL142

Tiger
Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 Release 2
10.4.11 Update
DVD Player 4.6
j2se 5.0 release 4
x11 update 2006
migration and dvd/cd sharing update
quicktime 7.6.4
security update 2009-005
java for mac osx 10.4 release 5
safari 4.1.3
java for mac osx 10.4 release 6
java for mac osx 10.4 release 7
java for mac osx 10.4 release 8
java for mac osx 10.4 release 9

I hope this helps! I'll come back and post links, I just wanted to share what I've got so far.