Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emtrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Weekly Photo Contest - September 9th - September 16th (Theme: Numbers)

Subject - Numbers

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Really hope I'm doing this right. The theme this week is Numbers, which I think is very open to interpretation-- literal, figurative, demonstrative-- and which I didn't see in the archives somewhere. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Getting older every year...

-9.jpg

emtrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
This week's contest is now over. Great entries from everyone! I'll post winners tomorrow.

emtrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
The winner is AlexH and "Roll it".

There's a lot to like about this picture. I think the simplicity of its design-- the focus on lone dice with three sides visible, everything else out of focus-- spoke to me. The theme was given form as a small cube that was the very embodiment of "numbers". But what really sealed the deal was the lighting… especially the shadow of the die that was produced. It gave the photo a unique atmosphere. Furthermore, the contrast between the dark background and the white board extended the theme of the die, as did the choice to go with a B&W picture at all (which allowed the lighting to really shine). Without the lighting, the photo would have fallen flat. So kudos!

Second place is iJohn.8.80 and "Numbers".

This is another one that has an elegantly straightforward design but what I love about this shot is that, not only do you have fifteen numbers all front and center, but you have the various colors of the balls making the photo pop. The use of depth of field also gave the triangle/rack of balls a direction that would have been completely absent had the focus been on one of the center balls. Great job!

Finally, in third place is Bartlindon.

I like this shot because, while the focus is on the "1" (and those mouthwatering cherries), the attention is on the child who is experiencing what will be the first of many. So you not only have the literal 1 in the picture, but the promise of more numbers (birthdays) to follow. It's the optimism of an unwritten future wrapped up with literal cherries! Had the adults been lit up, you would have had competing faces drawing away from the child and it would have detracted from the shot… but the fact is they weren't. It's a really nice shot and I think it was a wonderful move to keep the attention solely on the child and the import of the birthday. Nice job!

A few thoughts on the runners-up (in order of posting)

Melizard and "Black Flies 2": I liked this picture and thought it had good use of depth of field. It always makes me suddenly itch, like I can feel them swarming around me.

cambookpro: Love the colors here! I think birthdays are a fertile ground for number themed pics, but I think an actual number to anchor the concept would have helped.

Sideonecincy: That's a great clock face and reminds me of some of the stained glass deals my grandparents used to own. I go back and forth on the sliver of night sky in the upper-left corner-- on the one hand it anchors the time-of-day as evening and contributes to the atmosphere of the shot. On the other, though, it's a distracting burst of color that competes with the clock face for my attention. Either more sky to make it a bigger part of the composition or less so that the attention is entirely on the clock face. I don't know, like I said, I go back and forth on it. But I do love the subject and the angle!

NZed and Homework: great use of the theme to not only focus on the numbers on a calculator, but throw that scary calculus book into the mix, as well! I like the angle a lot.

Keleko: I really like the subjects here and the omnipresence of numbers. Old, worn down machines like this are always fun to see and photograph. The only thing that would make the shot better, IMHO, is more dynamic framing of the shot ala NZed. They're both just kind of there and the shot feels like it's missing something in the upper right corner. Getting in closer to the keys or just slightly angling the shot I think would have helped. Still a nice picture, though!

georgeinnj: Great splash of color and framing for the price sign.

jodelli: Nice shot! I would love to get up close to those tigers. I like the nested use of numbers-- the crowds, seats, scoreboard, ads… Ultimately, though, the ads compete with each other for your attention and I find myself unsure of where my attention should be drawn.

milbournosphere: This is a really nice shot, great atmosphere! Would have been better (for the contest, anyway) if the odometers were in focus rather than the steering wheel, but still a great shot.

greenkitty2000: I like how your attention is drawn to the numbers on the remote, I would only suggest a more dynamic angle to help.

Great job all around! But, AlexH is the winner and now has 48 hours to select the new theme!

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Congratulations to all, there were some really nice shots and subjects this week. A great range of thoughts and resulting photo styles as well. :cool:

AlexH, I love your almost "Hitchcockesque" lighting for that shot, it really makes the shot for me too.

BartLindon, I have to echo what emtrey said entirely. Love the soft focus on the little ones face, it adds to the innocence and potential for me of what's to be for them in life.

NZed, your shot gave me a minor heart attack, our eldest boy is doing his senior year at the moment, and is preparing for his final exams right now, he's studying at the Australian school of maths and science, my heart went out to you with that topic!

Keleko, I love the subjects in your shot and the use of b&w for them, as emtrey said, different point of view would have made all the difference though.

Sideonecincy, I'd have cropped out the sky also, just leaving a nice curve of the building in the upper left corner of the shot echoing the clock shape.

Melizard, cambookpro, georgeinnj, jodelli, milbournosphere and greenkitty2000, I liked the quirkiness and fun of your shots.

Thanks for the feedback emtrey, it's fantastic when someone sees a shot as you intended it, especially as a newbie! Simplicity is slowly becoming my new mantra... :)

Last edited:

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Great shots this week, everyone! Thanks for the very kind words, emtrey (and ijohn), I'm honored.

New contest coming very soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.