Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
How come when I download icons (in .sit files) when I extract them using StuffIt the resulting folders are empty? Yet when I restart OSX then the files show up. Is there a way to refresh the folders without restarting?

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I had the same problem after I upgraded to tiger, though even getting the latest version of stuffit didn't help, but someone suggested in another forum to goto preferences, click on 'Destination' and change 'Create Surrounding Folder' to 'Always'. That fixed the problem for me at least. Hopefully that will help you too.

Also you said you were restarting everytime you wanted to see the files that were extracted. They are actually there just invisible, you can always make a copy of the newly extracted folder and it should show the contents in the copy, though hopefully the above hint will make it so you don't have to do this.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
tag said:
I had the same problem after I upgraded to tiger, though even getting the latest version of stuffit didn't help, but someone suggested in another forum to goto preferences, click on 'Destination' and change 'Create Surrounding Folder' to 'Always'. That fixed the problem for me at least. Hopefully that will help you too.

Also you said you were restarting everytime you wanted to see the files that were extracted. They are actually there just invisible, you can always make a copy of the newly extracted folder and it should show the contents in the copy, though hopefully the above hint will make it so you don't have to do this.

This is a new iBook which came with Tiger. I have the latest version of StuffIt. In any event your suggestion fixed the problem.

Thanks a lot.
:)

ghostee

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Villa Park, IL
I believe the problem has something to do with the .ds_store file created when the archive is extracted. An alternative way of getting files to show up is to open terminal, navigate to the folder, and delete the .ds_store file.

Glad the problem is already fixed though, so you can pretty much disregard the above. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.