Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jponeill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I have an apple TV (2nd Gen) in my living room and already use it to stream music and other content located on my iMac to my home cinema system. It works really well.

However, I'm now wanting to also stream music to my bedroom. I already have a mini stereo system in the bedroom, but no way to stream music from the iMac/Apple TV to it. Is there any component or system I can buy that will easily do this? I'm willing to buy any component that I can place in bedroom to allow this, or even replace the bedroom stereo with a new one with this capability integrated. I'm hoping to avoid buying a new 'base station' and use the Apple TV.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

John

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Your best bet is to add either another Apple TV or an AirPort Express in your bedroom. You could also go for an AirPlay enabled hi-fi or speaker system but this will probably end up costing more.

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
I have an apple TV (2nd Gen) in my living room and already use it to stream music and other content located on my iMac to my home cinema system. It works really well.

However, I'm now wanting to also stream music to my bedroom. I already have a mini stereo system in the bedroom, but no way to stream music from the iMac/Apple TV to it. Is there any component or system I can buy that will easily do this? I'm willing to buy any component that I can place in bedroom to allow this, or even replace the bedroom stereo with a new one with this capability integrated. I'm hoping to avoid buying a new 'base station' and use the Apple TV.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

John

To add to the others. If you got an express and attached it to your room speakers this will work, however controlling it you will have to either be A) at your computer or b) have an ipod touch/ipad/iphone. It is rumored that the next IOS release for the apple tv will allow you to actually stream to multiple airplay devices which means you could now control your bedroom speakers from your tv..

jponeill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Thanks. So, just to be clear, if I get an airport express unit and it sits in my bedroom, I'll be able to stream music to it and use my iphone to control it?

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Thanks. So, just to be clear, if I get an airport express unit and it sits in my bedroom, I'll be able to stream music to it and use my iphone to control it?

yes in three forms
1)off your iphone directly via airplay
2) via homesharing from your itunes library using the remote APP on your iphone
3) directly from your computer using airplay and your itunes library

4) - when atv gets update hopefully youll be able to do what you can do on 3 with your computer - essentially us the atv to find your room speakers and stream to them

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL

Yep, "Home Sharing"

Pick your music on your iPhone, select appropriate Airplay device and voila!!!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Alternatively to the Apple-centric answers above, if you can find a way to run wires from where your :apple:TV is located into that bedroom, you can just use a cheap splitter to "share" the audio through that wire to the bedroom system.

There are also cheaper (than Airport Express) wireless audio transmitters. One plugs in near your :apple:TV (with stereo "in" jacks), the other near the bedroom stereo (with stereo "out" jacks), and they basically do the pseudo-equivalent job of running physical wires. There are lots of these available and they can often be found in the "bargin bins", "open box", etc of local stores as well as Ebay, Amazon, etc.

Both of these solutions are aimed at extending what you play in the :apple:TV room to the bedroom. If you would ever want to play different things (one thing via :apple:TV and something else in that bedroom), airport express and/or a second :apple:TV can be a great way to go. If you live alone, this is probably not important to you. If you have roommates or family, it's easy to imagine the scenario where others will have the :apple:TV occupied while you might want to listen to some music in the other room.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.