PDA

View Full Version : (ibook) How to maintain internet connection while lid is closed ?

gizmo_pony
Aug 14, 2005, 12:28 AM
i wonder how to maintain the internet connection (adsl) when i close the lid and my ibook at sleep ?

munkle
Aug 14, 2005, 01:38 AM
If your iBook is put to sleep you won't be able to stay connected to the internet.

Why would you want to be connected when your computer is asleep?

gizmo_pony
Aug 14, 2005, 02:01 AM
If your iBook is put to sleep you won't be able to stay connected to the internet.

Why would you want to be connected when your computer is asleep?

i am a heavy downloader ... i want to close the lid while my it downloading ...
:)

mad jew
Aug 14, 2005, 02:04 AM
There's a hack somewhere out there which will let you close the lid of an iBook without it sleeping but it's not recommended since a lot of the heat generated by the hard drive, the GPU and the CPU is dissipated through the keyboard.

If an iBook is sleeping then I think it'll only supply power to the RAM so you wouldn't be able to sleep and download.

Sorry, but I think the best option is to just leave the lid open. :o

persianpunisher
Aug 14, 2005, 02:09 AM
DAMN, i wanted to do the same thing. Can I shut off the screen and leave the computer running?

mad jew
Aug 14, 2005, 02:15 AM
Turn the screen brightness settings down to lowest in either the System Preferences or using the keyboard shortcuts (I forget which F~ keys they are). This is pretty strongly recommended so as to conserve power and potential screen life. :)

munkle
Aug 14, 2005, 02:20 AM
Like MadJew said, dimming the screen might be your best bet.

i don't know if it applies to iBooks but I can use my PB in clamshell mode (lid closed) by attaching an external keyboard/monitor. Not really recommended though, as these are pretty hot little things.

mad jew
Aug 14, 2005, 02:23 AM
i don't know if it applies to iBooks but I can use my PB in clamshell mode (lid closed) by attaching an external keyboard/monitor.

The PowerBooks were designed with clamshelling in mind (is that even a word :p ) whereas the iBooks were not. The PowerBooks have different heat dissipation techniques/routes so it's much less of a problem. I would never use clamshell mode on my iBook.

gizmo_pony
Aug 14, 2005, 02:30 AM
thanks for all answers ... maybe i should just open up the lcd and turn down the brightness ... :rolleyes:

munkle
Aug 14, 2005, 02:35 AM
thanks for all answers ... maybe i should just open up the lcd and turn down the brightness ... :rolleyes:
Sometimes the simples solutions are the best... :)

The PowerBooks were designed with clamshelling in mind (is that even a word :p ) whereas the iBooks were not. The PowerBooks have different heat dissipation techniques/routes so it's much less of a problem. I would never use clamshell mode on my iBook.
If clamshelling isn't a word, it dang well should be! :p

gizmo_pony
Aug 14, 2005, 02:38 AM
got one quick question about safari ...

how to refresh all the tabs simultaneously ?

thank you

mad jew
Aug 14, 2005, 02:40 AM
This is just disappointing! Hopefully it'll all be fixed in 10.4.3... :p

mad jew
Aug 14, 2005, 02:41 AM
how to refresh all the tabs simultaneously ?

CONTROL-CLICK on a tab and select Reload All Tabs. :)

munkle
Aug 14, 2005, 02:44 AM
This is just disappointing! Hopefully it'll all be fixed in 10.4.3... :p
:D
OPTION-CLICK on a tab and select Reload All Tabs. :)
CTRL-CLICK non?

mad jew
Aug 14, 2005, 02:45 AM
CTRL-CLICK non?

Oui! Err... Mon mal. :confused: :o :(