View Full Version : Speakrs for ibook ~50-60 bucks

Decahedron
Aug 14, 2005, 12:34 AM
i searched first 5 pages, no help.
help.
k :)

mad jew
Aug 14, 2005, 12:35 AM
What's the question? Where did you search? Are you looking for good speakers to go with the iBook for around $50-$60? :)

Decahedron
Aug 14, 2005, 01:03 AM
i was trying to be unclear :(

id like speakrs for the ibook at a price limit of abouat 60 dollars before i purcahse some crazy speaker set in the future.
can anyone recommend some to me?

Project
Aug 14, 2005, 07:00 AM
Im in the same situation as you, but could probably afford up to around $100.. however, I need them to be able to fit into the AirPort Express so I can use AirTunes. Does anybody know what type of cable is needed to plug into the Express?

Bibulous
Aug 14, 2005, 08:03 AM
I was also looking for a set of speakers on the cheap, and found the Harmon Audio outlet store on ebay - link (http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio)
Seems like most of the auctions are 1 day, so if your patient you may be able to get a good deal.

I won a set of the JBL Duet for $25 shipped, apple sells these for $49 plus shipping, amazon for $35 plus shipping. While mine are refurbished, they came in a retail box with all the paperwork and are like new. So far they sound pretty good for low volume desktop speakers, would not want to set them up across the room though.

scarlco
Aug 14, 2005, 10:00 AM
I was very impressed with my set of Logitech Z3's (I've since upgraded to a surround system by Logitech... the z5500). They sounded great, and I picked 'em up on sale for about $60 (they retail for $80). According to their web site, they have a version called the Z3i - pure white.

Highly recommended.

AstrosFan
Aug 14, 2005, 10:13 AM
i was trying to be unclear :(

id like speakrs for the ibook at a price limit of abouat 60 dollars before i purcahse some crazy speaker set in the future.
can anyone recommend some to me?

Do you want the speakers to be portable? Or are you planning on using them primarily at a desk?
If you're not looking for mobility, you might consider the JBL Creature II speakers.
You can find them here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001DQ5YG/qid=1124032058/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5946351-8145716?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846) at amazon for $62 - you may even find them cheaper somewhere else.
I use them with my iMac and have been very happy with their sound.

Good luck!

thumb
Aug 14, 2005, 10:42 AM
These (http://www.bestspeakerdeals.com/store/category.cgi?category=bgd_spk_mul&item=c1swzzzzz&type=store) are in my opinion the best possible speakers (sound-wise) for $50 (or even $100). Cambridge soundworks equipment is excellent. I own these, and use them with AEX just as you are looking for.

they however are not very "stylized". Just three black boxes with lots of cords running between them. I find them best if placed behind the scenes...

Decahedron
Aug 14, 2005, 11:01 AM
the plan is to keep them at home, headphones for on the go.

AstrosFan
Aug 14, 2005, 02:27 PM
I have had experience with the JBL Creatures (obviously) as well as Logitech. They both sound very good.
Unfortunately, I don't have personal experience with Cambridge Soundworks, but thumb certainly gives those speakers a high rating.

You would probably be best-served if you see/hear the speakers yourself.
I don't know what stores you have locally, but quickly looking at websites, it seems that Best Buy carries the Logitech speakers & I have seen the JBL Creatures previously at the Apple store.

Good luck!

ebook
Aug 14, 2005, 03:50 PM
I'm in about the same boat as you except these will be for my iMac. I found this deal on dealmac.com and it seems pretty good. These speakers were already mentioned once on this thread.

Logitech Z3i (http://dealmac.com/deals/Logitech-Z-3-i-Speaker-System-for-37-shipped-after-rebate/93428.html)

Project
Aug 14, 2005, 04:05 PM
Do them JBLs provide a rich sound? I hate the tinny sounds that usually come from most PC speakers.

iEdd
Aug 14, 2005, 04:18 PM
Im in the same situation as you, but could probably afford up to around $100.. however, I need them to be able to fit into the AirPort Express so I can use AirTunes. Does anybody know what type of cable is needed to plug into the Express?

Powered speakers with a 3.5mm (1/8") plug will work in any laptop and A-express. So NOT apple pro speakers... Which I got for our G5, needed a Griffin iFire adaptor.

Bibulous
Aug 15, 2005, 08:55 PM
Do them JBLs provide a rich sound? I hate the tinny sounds that usually come from most PC speakers.

I would say no, they are tinny like all 2 speaker systems. They do work good for desktops music and system sounds, just wish they were shorter.

BurtonCCC
Aug 16, 2005, 02:04 PM
Definitely check out the Harman Audio store on eBay. I got a refurbished set of Creature speakers for about $50 and they are absolutely perfect. Also, make sure you don't try to hard to win the auction. I got mine so cheap because I actually lost the auction. Harman automatically gives you a second chance offer of whatever your losing bid was, so if it's not too low, you might even get them cheaper than the winning bidder. Enjoy.

Daniel