Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ancilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Hi all,

On my phone (Android), I have an app that automatically changes the volume when headphones are plugged in.

Is there anything similar for my Macbook Air (plug in headphones -> automatically decrease volume)?

Thanks!

liya1201

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
It happened automatically in my MacBook Pro (both early 2008 and mid-2012) without any third-party app installed. In other words, the volume can be set differently between internal speaker and headphones and my MBP remembers the different settings.

Hi all,

On my phone (Android), I have an app that automatically changes the volume when headphones are plugged in.

Is there anything similar for my Macbook Air (plug in headphones -> automatically decrease volume)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi all,

Thanks!
Macs have two volume settings: one for the internal speakers, and one for headphones/external speakers. Just plug in the headphones and adjust the volume to your liking. Now unplug and adjust the internal speakers to your liking. Your Mac will remember your settings.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Airplay??? Isn't that always maxed?? Then the volume is set on the Airplay device(car, boombox etc..) you are using..

Nope. I'm talking about when you access your AirPlay speaker by hold the Option key and adjust volumn on the menu bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.