PDA

View Full Version : Which music data is accessible by apps?

3x3is9
Sep 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hi, I'm just starting out programming. I have a million ideas for apps in my head (who doesn't?), but the one I want to make the most is this: Smart Playlists on iPhone. I know there is an app out there already, but it's not nearly what I want.

The only concern I have is if Apple doesn't give access to enough information about the music. I know there was one music-genre game that created the levels on-the-fly based on the songs, but they couldn't publish to the App Store because Apple didn't allow access to the bits of the song.

I tried searching for this information, but couldn't find anything about it.

What are some of the major limitations Apple enforces about accessing the music files? I assume you can access Artist, Title, and Album, but what about Genre, Rating, Play Count, Last Played, Date Added, etc? Can you access Playlists created in iTunes? Are there any other issues that might come up?

Thanks

Kashsystems
Sep 11, 2012, 09:20 AM
Hi, I'm just starting out programming. I have a million ideas for apps in my head (who doesn't?), but the one I want to make the most is this: Smart Playlists on iPhone. I know there is an app out there already, but it's not nearly what I want.

The only concern I have is if Apple doesn't give access to enough information about the music. I know there was one music-genre game that created the levels on-the-fly based on the songs, but they couldn't publish to the App Store because Apple didn't allow access to the bits of the song.

I tried searching for this information, but couldn't find anything about it.

What are some of the major limitations Apple enforces about accessing the music files? I assume you can access Artist, Title, and Album, but what about Genre, Rating, Play Count, Last Played, Date Added, etc? Can you access Playlists created in iTunes? Are there any other issues that might come up?

Thanks

I would go to the developer documentation and look through Media Player Framework, there is for example MPMediaPlaylist (https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/MediaPlayer/Reference/MPMediaPlaylist_ClassReference/Reference/Reference.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008217).

dejo
Sep 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
iPod Library Access Programming Guide (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Audio/Conceptual/iPodLibraryAccess_Guide/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008765)