PDA

View Full Version : Air 13 2012 questions to users

wassal43
Sep 11, 2012, 12:02 PM
gentlemen

i m planning to buy the new 2012 mac book air

but i have a question that hesitate me for a while

how hot it got under-normal user ?

the other thing is the screen what is the difference between air screen and pro screen ?

dbdynsty25
Sep 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
Does get "slightly" warm on the bottom when just doing normal video and web based stuff, but nothing uncomfortable. And screen wise, it's the same technology as the "pro" so it's pretty damn good. Unless you're talking retina which destroys the Air from a clarity and viewing angle standpoint.

wassal43
Sep 11, 2012, 12:42 PM
Does get "slightly" warm on the bottom when just doing normal video and web based stuff, but nothing uncomfortable. And screen wise, it's the same technology as the "pro" so it's pretty damn good. Unless you're talking retina which destroys the Air from a clarity and viewing angle standpoint.

thanks for your reply bro

i mean normal pro . but i heard that the air's screen is much better specially in glare and brightness

i am really in dilemma between air or pro 13

so temperature is not a matter with the air i mean not like the pro

tiwizard
Sep 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
i mean normal pro . but i heard that the air's screen is much better specially in glare and brightness

i am really in dilemma between air or pro 13

so temperature is not a matter with the air i mean not like the pro

Yeah, it does have less glare, but there still is some glare on the screen. The Air also has a higher resolution, which is a big plus. It's pretty disappointing Apple hasn't upgraded the Pro's screen to the Air's resolution.

If you want my opinion, if you are going to get a 13 inch Apple laptop, do *not* get the 13 inch Pro unless you specifically need Ethernet and the Optical Drive built into the computer (or a lot of storage space and don't want an external drive). The 13 inch Air is pretty powerful, especially with the upgraded RAM.

By all means, get the 15 inch Pro/Retina if you want a bigger laptop, however.

MFL2012
Sep 11, 2012, 12:55 PM
Even using Handbrake, I find my Air to be warm, definitely not hot. I too had a tough time deciding between Air or Pro, but the MBA is an amazingly powerful machine. You really can't go wrong with either, though I am very happy with my choice.

Spoonz
Sep 11, 2012, 01:17 PM
I've got the 2012 base model (128GB SSD/4GB RAM) and these are my temperatures at the moment - I'm running quite a few tabs in Chrome, Terminal, Mail, Pages, Spotify, Transmit and iTunes:

http://i.imgur.com/X3o4V.png

saotomefirst
Sep 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
I too was in doubt between a 13'' MBP and a MBA. I think the best way to find out which one is better for you is to answer these questions:

- will this be your main machine (eg. this will be more powerful than your other computer(s))?
- do you need HDD space for programs/Windows?
- do you intent to keep your machine more at home than carrying it to places? (like taking the notebook with you for college/work just once or twice a week)
- can you live with the 1 kg difference in weigh between the models? (sorry, I forgot how to convert kgs to pounds...)
- do you plan on upgrading your RAM/HDD in the future?

if you answer more 'yes' than 'no' than you should get the PRO. I chose the Pro model and I'm quite happy with my choice - yes, MBA is faster to load stuff but once things load the MBP's higher clock makes up for it. Plus, I upgraded my RAM to 8GB and to my surprise I got myself free 512 MB shared vide memory - woot!

And about heating, I use this 13'' MBP to play games now and then. It does get quite warm but even on these extreme conditions it's not going to harm you if that's your concern. For internet browsing , though, it's pretty cool - much more than I thought it'd be.

@Spoonz - how did you get such data? I searched everywhere for a hardware monitor for the Mac but couldn't find one...

wassal43
Sep 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
How amazing you are guys

love you all

thanks

tiwizard
Sep 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
@Spoonz - how did you get such data? I searched everywhere for a hardware monitor for the Mac but couldn't find one...

Have you tried iStat Menus (http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/)? I think there's a free version (that doesn't sit in your menu bar) as well.

Blackberryroid
Sep 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
The MacBook Air is just as hot as the Pro. It just goes hotter faster. It's not bad on it's hottest state, but who ever puts their laptop in their lap, anyway?

saotomefirst
Sep 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
Have you tried iStat Menus (http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/)? I think there's a free version (that doesn't sit in your menu bar) as well.

Indeed, worked like a charm!

Though I'm really looking for something that looked more or less like the System monitor found in Ubuntu - Gnome interface - that shows these infos at the top bar (something that just sits somewhere you can clearly see no matter where you are, so you can figure out that your computer is slow because of either network/HDD loading.)

Still, this will do for now. Thx man :D

jbzcar
Sep 11, 2012, 11:44 PM

I <3 iStat Menus. :D

tiwizard
Sep 12, 2012, 12:24 AM
I <3 iStat Menus. :D

Yeah, it's one of the apps that I bought a long time ago and still use :)

Indeed, worked like a charm!

Though I'm really looking for something that looked more or less like the System monitor found in Ubuntu - Gnome interface - that shows these infos at the top bar (something that just sits somewhere you can clearly see no matter where you are, so you can figure out that your computer is slow because of either network/HDD loading.)

Still, this will do for now. Thx man :D

If you want something on your desktop, you may also want to try something like Geektool. It's a little bit complicated to setup, but seems like what you're looking for based on my short Google search for the Ubuntu System Monitor (never used Ubuntu Desktop before, only servers :p)

fleawannabe
Sep 12, 2012, 01:21 AM
gentlemen

i m planning to buy the new 2012 mac book air

but i have a question that hesitate me for a while

how hot it got under-normal user ?

the other thing is the screen what is the difference between air screen and pro screen ?

I went through the same dilemma and I chose the MBP. The 3 mains factors for me was storage, expandability and portability. I found that the MBPs expandability out weight the MBAs portability. Also to get the storage I needed in a MBA would have cost me a way too much.

As far as screens go the MBA has a better resolution but the MBP has better colors.