PDA

View Full Version : Storage Requirements - 30+ miniDV Tapes

VanMac
Aug 14, 2005, 04:14 PM
Hey All.

So, I will soon be in the process of pulling my videos from tape, and dumping to hard drive of some sort so I can start to create some movies.

I have 33 miniDV tapes full, and more as time goes on. As I only have a 12" ibook with 40GB drive, I'm going to need more storage ( I knew this going into purchase).

I imported one whole move, and it took 13GB of space!! Do you guys typically pull all your movie content off of tape and store to disk? If so, I'm looking at 650GB to support 50 miniDV tapes.

I've been looking at the Lacie d2 Extreme, or something like that. I would like to have firewire 800 for when I get my PowerMac :)

So, any comments on amount of storage I should get, and make of drive would be appreciated. Not too concerned with price, as long as I'm getting what I pay for.

Thanks in advance.

CanadaRAM
Aug 14, 2005, 04:23 PM
However much you think you're going to need, get double. ;)

You can do some rough editing on import -- if there's 10 minutes that are obviously not keepers, then don't import them.

At this quantity of data you might consider an external drive solution with swappable drive bays, so you can add more space by swapping in and out relatively inexpensive 250 Gb raw drives. Have a look at Wiebetech http://www.wiebetech.com/products/traydockextreme.php

WinterMute
Aug 14, 2005, 04:26 PM
It depends what you want to do with the footage once you've dumped it off the tape, if you intend to edit it into a different order, then I'm afraid you will need to use the HD route, and an FW800 drive is a good idea (the LaCie's are good). If you simply want the footage off the tapes but aren't bothered about editing, then use iDVD in "one shot" mode to dump each tape directly to DVD.

DeSnousa
Aug 14, 2005, 04:31 PM
Or you could just put the tapes for the one edit, once complete get rid of the excess footage. This way the excess footage is backup on your DV tapes, and the smallest amount of hardrive space is used. Therefore you could get away with just one external hardrive. If you don't mind spending get a 500GB cause thats still alot of footage plus surplus for the future :D

BenJolene
Aug 14, 2005, 06:14 PM
Don't think of it in terms of tapes, think of it in terms of hours.

If you're digitizing your footage at DV resolution, the conversion is:
1 hour = 12 Gb

Then calculate how much storage space you need, providing that you should leave about 10% of your drive free.

VanMac
Aug 14, 2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

I will want to be doing some editing, so looks like I will need the HD space.

Couple of questions:
1. Can external firewire drives be chained together? So, could I get a LaCie d2 Extreme 300 GB drive for now, and then get another when it fills up? Is there any performance degradation in chaining together (if possible).

2. When editing a movie with iMovie, or similar products, does it make copies of the clips you are assembling into your movie. Example, if I throw 5 clips into a movie, and then trim stuff out of clips, add effects, etc, does it make copies of the original clips, or is it just assembling data that is used in conjunction with original clips?

Thanks for replies. Very new to this editing stuff, so excuse my ignorance.

BenJolene
Aug 14, 2005, 06:54 PM
1. Can external firewire drives be chained together? So, could I get a LaCie d2 Extreme 300 GB drive for now, and then get another when it fills up? Is there any performance degradation in chaining together (if possible).

You can "daisy-chain" drives and they will work fine. As a side note, I would caution against buying LaCies. I've never worked with a LaCie that hasn't failed after 2 years or less.

2. When editing a movie with iMovie, or similar products, does it make copies of the clips you are assembling into your movie. Example, if I throw 5 clips into a movie, and then trim stuff out of clips, add effects, etc, does it make copies of the original clips, or is it just assembling data that is used in conjunction with original clips?

I've never worked with iMovie, just Final Cut. But I would assume iMovie functions the same as Final Cut, meaning your original clips will stay intact and not be "canabalized." The progam is only manipulating the data, not the media, hence why it is important to store your media in a separate location like you are planning.

Very new to this editing stuff, so excuse my ignorance.

No need to apologize. Have fun!

crachoar
Aug 18, 2005, 03:52 PM
Remember - you not only need to store the raw data - but you also need to render it all out.

My advice to you?

Have at least two externals:

-One for raw footage - directly imported - untouched
-One for edited / Final versions of those movies

The third, I would say - as a backup - on top of:

-Backing finished projects up to tape
-Storing finished projects onto DVDs

Seriously - back things up, keep things completely organized.

You have no idea how much it sucks to have a deadline, and you have 10 different cuts of a movie on one disk.

Also, keep in mind - relying on one huge disk is dangerous.

Larger HDD's have a tendency to fail - moreso than smaller capacity drives.

Good luck to you.