Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Hello. I just got an Apple TV and I have a question about movie/tv purchases.

If I buy a movie (not rent) does the movie get downloaded to my computer and stored on my hard drive or does it stream? I'd like to make the move to get away from physical media but I don't want to purchase terabytes worth of storage or the movies I buy. I'd really like it if there was just a running list of the movies I purchased and when clicked, they would just stream, just like OnDemand cable services.

Thanks. :)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hello. I just got an Apple TV and I have a question about movie/tv purchases.

If I buy a movie (not rent) does the movie get downloaded to my computer and stored on my hard drive or does it stream? I'd like to make the move to get away from physical media but I don't want to purchase terabytes worth of storage or the movies I buy. I'd really like it if there was just a running list of the movies I purchased and when clicked, they would just stream, just like OnDemand cable services.

Thanks. :)

It can be both downloaded and streamed right from Apple's server, assuming you have an account allowing for the latter, which is country-specific - it was some 1-2 months ago that Apple added support to some (not all!) national iTunes stores also allowing for it. Before that, it was only available for the US iTunes store.

If you don't (because you live in a country where redownloading / streaming is still not allowed), you can only download (and only once).

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
It can be both downloaded and streamed right from Apple's server, assuming you have an account allowing for the latter, which is country-specific - it was some 1-2 months ago that Apple added support to some (not all!) national iTunes stores also allowing for it. Before that, it was only available for the US iTunes store.

If you don't (because you live in a country where redownloading / streaming is still not allowed), you can only download (and only once).

I'm in Colorado.

So what you're saying is that I can JUST stream iTunes video content? If so, is there a specific setting to ensure that the content doesn't download (assuming that download is a default setting)?

Thanks for the response. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.