Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
As an owner of every iPhone model released, I must admit that I do find myself ogling other people's non-iPhones more and more these days. The bigger screens are nice. I think a taller iPhone 5 will be somewhat underwhelming.

I've toyed with breaking out and getting a different phone. Every time I've picked up a Samsung Android phone, I find the UI kind of corny and unintuitive, choppy, especially in the scrolling/zooming department, and a little cheap feeling in the hand. My father in law has a Moto Droid and I feel pretty much the same way about that.

Are the Lumia phones any better? The interface seems much nicer, but their software upgrade paths seem unreliable. Original Lumia owners couldn't upgrade to Win8 if I recall. Android upgrades also seem to require a whole new phone more often than not.

Is there a phone out there that has the smoothness of the iPhone, the build quality, ease/intuitiveness of use, and more than 1 generation of upgradeability?

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
All the newer android phones on the market are smooth, easy to use/intuitive and have upgrade eligibility. Now form factor is another thing. Just have to sift through the various models and figure out which one works best for you.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
As an owner of every iPhone model released, I must admit that I do find myself ogling other people's non-iPhones more and more these days. The bigger screens are nice. I think a taller iPhone 5 will be somewhat underwhelming.

I've toyed with breaking out and getting a different phone. Every time I've picked up a Samsung Android phone, I find the UI kind of corny and unintuitive, choppy, especially in the scrolling/zooming department, and a little cheap feeling in the hand. My father in law has a Moto Droid and I feel pretty much the same way about that.

Are the Lumia phones any better? The interface seems much nicer, but their software upgrade paths seem unreliable. Original Lumia owners couldn't upgrade to Win8 if I recall. Android upgrades also seem to require a whole new phone more often than not.

Is there a phone out there that has the smoothness of the iPhone, the build quality, ease/intuitiveness of use, and more than 1 generation of upgradeability?

Goophone i5. You'll have to learn Chinese though. :D

Goophone-i5.jpg

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
In terms of smoothness, upgrades and support, the closest you'll get is the Galaxy Nexus.

In terms of UI, just install an MIUI ROM as MIUI clearly takes inspiration from ios.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

Android phones that run Icecream Sandwich and below with a Manufacturer skin like Touchwiz, Sense or Motoblur will lag scrolling about etc.

Id go for a device with 4.1 "Jellybean". Try to go for a Nexus, default Jellybean has no lag, stutter or slowdown. Windows Phones are also very smooth navigating around. Id wait for the new wave of Windows Phone 8's to come out though, this was a big change to Microsoft, moving from the CE Kernal to NT.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Android phones that run Icecream Sandwich and below with a Manufacturer skin like Touchwiz, Sense or Motoblur will lag scrolling about etc.

Id go for a device with 4.1 "Jellybean". Try to go for a Nexus, default Jellybean has no lag, stutter or slowdown. Windows Phones are also very smooth navigating around. Id wait for the new wave of Windows Phone 8's to come out though, this was a big change to Microsoft, moving from the CE Kernal to NT.

You know, all of us Android toting, S3 using guys and gals on Android 4.0.4 will gladly show you just how smooth and fast things really are. :p

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
You know, all of us Android toting, S3 using guys and gals on Android 4.0.4 will gladly show you just how smooth and fast things really are. :p

Ive used an S3 on ICS and while scrolling between homescreens was smooth, pinching, zooming and scrolling in web browser and settings menus caused it to stutter for me. Also everytime i hit the homescreen the icons on the homescreen would take 2-3 seconds to appear.

However on my own Android device running Default Jellybean theres no lag, no stutter, no delay, and I believe the Nexus 7 is weaker than the GS3. My friend also flashed some "SuperNexus" Jellybean ROM onto his GS3, and without falling for the marketing speel, it's as smooth as butter :D

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
android phones that run icecream sandwich and below with a manufacturer skin like touchwiz, sense or motoblur will lag scrolling about etc.

Id go for a device with 4.1 "jellybean". Try to go for a nexus, default jellybean has no lag, stutter or slowdown. Windows phones are also very smooth navigating around. Id wait for the new wave of windows phone 8's to come out though, this was a big change to microsoft, moving from the ce kernal to nt.

qft.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Exactly, I'll show him a sense rom that will out scroll and out smoothness (reaching 4 words here) any ios device on the block.

Sometimes rooting and ROM'ing (word?) just aren't an option for people who BYOD for work. My organization is NIST-certified, and I'm pretty sure I'd be gambling with my job if I wiped the approved OS of the device. Just isn't worth the risk. So in the end, people like me need a top notch device right out of the box.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

You will feel the same way about any non-iPhone. The reason is that you are used to an iPhone and any non-iPhone is just different. As an Android user, I have the same feeling whenever I use an iPhone. It feels corny and unintuitive.

As for the smoothness, newer Android phones are much better than older ones. The latest version of Android called Jellybean greatly improves the smoothness of even the latest phones. So far, only a small portion of phones have the latest version. Many of the newest phones are due to get it within the next few months.

My friend's Galaxy Nexus is the smoothest Android phone I know. He put JB on it. Most Nexus phones will be the ones that get the latest version of the OS earlier than any others. The Nexus phones are also likely to be the most upgradable of all Android phones. The Galaxy Nexus came out late last year. There has been one new Nexus phone that comes out approximately once a year. The next one is probably going to come out in the next few months.

As for ease of use and build quality, that is just going to be subjective. You'll have to just judge for yourself.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Ive used an S3 on ICS and while scrolling between homescreens was smooth, pinching, zooming and scrolling in web browser and settings menus caused it to stutter for me. Also everytime i hit the homescreen the icons on the homescreen would take 2-3 seconds to appear.

However on my own Android device running Default Jellybean theres no lag, no stutter, no delay, and I believe the Nexus 7 is weaker than the GS3. My friend also flashed some "SuperNexus" Jellybean ROM onto his GS3, and without falling for the marketing speel, it's as smooth as butter :D

I have no problems at all with the smoothness of ICS on the GS3. I don't experience any stuttering. Could be an app that is causing this.

About the Homescreen, it's a known issue that the Homescreen takes a sec to redraw. Doesn't happen most of the time, happens randomly. There is a simply fix for this I've seen in XDA, but I never tried it cause it doesn't bother me.

Can I ask, did the ROM your friend flashed include Touchwiz? I'm still trying to decide if I should try a ROM without Touchwiz. I'm already rootedt, but still on stock ICS.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I have no problems at all with the smoothness of ICS on the GS3. I don't experience any stuttering. Could be an app that is causing this.

About the Homescreen, it's a known issue that the Homescreen takes a sec to redraw. Doesn't happen most of the time, happens randomly. There is a simply fix for this I've seen in XDA, but I never tried it cause it doesn't bother me.

Can I ask, did the ROM your friend flashed include Touchwiz? I'm still trying to decide if I should try a ROM without Touchwiz. I'm already rootedt, but still on stock ICS.

No it was pure JellyBean, not one bit of Touchwiz, it was called SuperNexus I believe.

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009

Windows Phone in general is very like iOS, that is a closed and stable OS. Manufacturers can't "skin" (aka **** up) the interface like on Android and desktop Windows.

I think the reason the WP7 phones didn't get the WP8 upgrade is because they switched the base of the OS from the 100 year old Windows CE to Windows NT (yeah I know NT is actually older than CE but more modern and capable ofc).

If Windows Phone is a great OS then the Lumias is about the hardware. I recommend you keep you keep your current iPhone (4S I guess?) and wait for the second wave of WP8 Lumias.

Last edited:

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I would reiterate what Stuntman06 said. I am a Galaxy Nexus owner on Verizon and have been since the first day it came out. The reason I got the Nexus over other Android phones is that it is the pure Google experience.

SIDENOTE: For the Verizon version, this isn't 100% true as there are two Verizon system apps and no Google Wallet app, but these can be worked around. You can install Wallet and disable the Verizon apps without rooting the phone.

It has a 720p screen, LTE, and Android 4.0 aka ICS. It can be upgraded to 4.1 aka Jellybean. These operating systems represent a HUGE leap forward from previous Android OSes and are equal, but different than iOS. It is smooth and snappy (especially Jellybean) and very customizable. It is also cheap now that it is almost a year old. You can get a 32GB model at Verizon for $99 w/ 2 year contract.

The downside of the phone is the below average camera and battery life. I don't take pictures so I don't care about the camera. The battery life is okay if you can charge it at work. I use one at my work and one at my house so it is usually always charged. Also, everyone and their mother has a standard USB to USB mini cable lying around the house so it is easy to plug it into a computer to charge. Or if they have an Android phone, you can just use that because again, they all use the same USB to USB mini now.

The Nexus gets upgrades in OS extremely fast and if it is rooted, you can flash any testing builds as soon as they are available. For instance, Verizon hasn't rolled out the Jellybean upgrade, but I flashed in a leaked, testing version. It works marvelously. It adds a voice assistant faster and more aesthetically pleasing than Siri and makes the phone feel even slicker than ICS as well as minor tweaks to animations and the camera app. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I know. The point I am getting at is get an Android with Jellybean. All that Android is missing out on is the App Store. Google Play has a lot of great apps, but it is missing out on a ton of cool games. No Ascension app makes me sad. It would be so great on the bigger screen.

My advice would be to wait until the Lumia 920 is out and put it against the Nexus and see which OS you like better. If you like the WP 8.0, go with the Lumia. If you like Jellybean, either get the Nexus, the S3, Razr Maxx, or wait for a new Nexus phone (no rumors or leaks yet). Then learn about rooting and flashing. Try to have fun taking advantage of what Android lets you do. Try to experiment and keep an open mind. For instance, I've never owned an iOS device. I've always had an Android phone. Soon, I will get an iPad for my fiance (she's been wanting a 10" tablet), but I'm also getting it to fuss around with it and learn what I am missing out on.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.