Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigredsixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
I just got my Powerbook 15" a few days ago. LOVE IT! Been using Macs for about 10 years or so at my work, first time Ive owned one. But has anyone had any problems with the SuperDrives...or any drives for that matter. When I put discs in, it tends to spit them back at me sometimes...and when the drive accepts the disc it seems fairly loud. Is this normal? Are you supposed to put in in halfway and then let the drive pull it...or push it all the way? Ive tried both.

Help. I want to know if I should take it to an apple store or not.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
bigredsixer said:
But has anyone had any problems with the SuperDrives...or any drives for that matter. When I put discs in, it tends to spit them back at me sometimes...and when the drive accepts the disc it seems fairly loud. Is this normal? Are you supposed to put in in halfway and then let the drive pull it...or push it all the way? Ive tried both.

Help. I want to know if I should take it to an apple store or not.

First of all, congratulations on your new purchase! These PBs are sweet!
To answer your question, I haven't had any problems with my SD - when reading/burning discs, the drive does spin somewhat loudly, but not unbearable.
I haven't had any problems with it spitting out discs, so I'm not sure what that's about. I generally put the disc in a little over halfway and then the computer 'sucks' it in at that point.

bigredsixer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
AstrosFan said:
First of all, congratulations on your new purchase! These PBs are sweet!
To answer your question, I haven't had any problems with my SD - when reading/burning discs, the drive does spin somewhat loudly, but not unbearable.
I haven't had any problems with it spitting out discs, so I'm not sure what that's about. I generally put the disc in a little over halfway and then the computer 'sucks' it in at that point.

I read a few other people with this same problem. They ended up getting their SDs replaced and it fixed it. I probably got a bad one. Usable, but paying that kind of money for a PB Im taking mine to an apple store tomorrow.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Hello.

I have a SD on my PB, and I think I've burned more DVDs, than CDs and I've only made 2 coasters.

But those 2 coasters were with generic wholesale DVDs. If you buy the Sony/Maxell or other known brand, It works just fine.

I bought a 50 pack of maxells, and all have worked, but they're only 4X... The 2 coasters were when attempting to burn at 8X...

I know people have been complaining about the whole "Its not 8X as advertised", but really, this is my first DVD burner ever, so I don't know what I'm missing. So 4X is fine for me... I guess :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.