PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes Can't Turn Off / Adjust Keyboard Lighting

jason.siegel
Sep 12, 2012, 10:42 AM
When I'm in full lighting, often I find that I can't adjust or turn off my keyboard lighting. When I click one of the lighting buttons, there is a "no" (crossed out circle) symbol below the grayed-out lighting icon.

Any ideas what's going on? Thanks.

dbdynsty25
Sep 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Goto the Apple in the top left corner > system preferences > keyboard and then uncheck the automatically adjust keyboard brightness.

jason.siegel
Sep 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
That does work, thanks, although I don't understand why that would be causing the problem unless the light sensor is broken. If I'm in full light, shouldn't it turn off?

dbdynsty25
Sep 12, 2012, 11:29 AM
That does work, thanks, although I don't understand why that would be causing the problem unless the light sensor is broken. If I'm in full light, shouldn't it turn off?

I'd think so...but all light sensors seem to suck in all devices, so I never use auto-brightness at all.

Miguel Cunha
Sep 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
When I'm in full lighting, often I find that I can't adjust or turn off my keyboard lighting. When I click one of the lighting buttons, there is a "no" (crossed out circle) symbol below the grayed-out lighting icon.

Any ideas what's going on? Thanks.

Sometimes that happens to me in several macs (iMac, MacBook Pro).

In mosts cases, a restart is enough, propvided that as sson as you see the the desktop you hit the light buttons.

When that doens't work, I run Disk Utility or other disk maintenance optimization application like this (http://alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html), booting externally, or this (http://www.northernsoftworks.com/mountainlioncachecleaner.html), and try to repair permissions, rebuild directory or clear unecessary files on your system and restart again.

Also, check if your computer isn't running low on RAM, overly stuffed with startup items or HDD isn't almost full.

I hope this helps.

007bond
Sep 17, 2012, 12:26 AM
I thought this was by design, but I could be wrong. To my understanding, you're only allowed to adjust the brightness if it is dark.