PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Microsoft Documents/outlook/exchange??

werk2play
Sep 12, 2012, 11:42 AM
Im working with a business that wants to go mobile with their office work using ipads and their iphones. Right now they are using microsoft exchange to access everything. However, as you all know, microsoft doesnt play well with others. A key thing that I am looking for is to be able to access documents that are saved to a cloud by multiple users. Any help would be much appreciated.

tigres
Sep 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
Dropbox.

takeshi74
Sep 13, 2012, 12:03 AM
A key thing that I am looking for is to be able to access documents that are saved to a cloud by multiple users.
Access or edit? Either way there are a number of cloud based options.

cryingrobot
Sep 13, 2012, 04:10 AM
For serious editing like track changes and compare docs, I think your only options are Office2 HD or something like Cloudon which is too slow. Might as well do RDP.

EDIT: This is based on pretty extensive research about a month ago but MS is rumored to be releasing their office suite for tablet in Oct. They have a web app suite but it apparently has serious issues with the Ipad and, in any case, is crippleware and missing the best features. Its probably only a matter of time before Google docs incorporate editing tools like track changes and I imagine its patent issues that are stopping people from doing this for their word processor software. Somehow Offfice2 HD does it.

werk2play
Sep 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
-cryingrobot: I appreciate the educated answer. I too have looked into this extensively and could not find an alternative program to Microsoft Outlook/documents for businesses. Perhaps its about time for another company to jump on this

rhett7660
Sep 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
Question, are you accessing items via secure vpn? Are you looking to access items outside your network?

The reason I ask, is there are some companies that have cutoff dropbox etc since you can pretty much put anything and bring anything onto the network. This causes security problems.

If you are just looking to edit documents and you don't care where the documents reside then I would say dropbox or another cloud like service. There are a couple really good programs to edit documents and save etc. However if you are looking for version control that window closes as I don't know to many that do version control.

Another option might be a sharepoint site, as you can setup version control and checking in/out of documents etc.

Can I ask, what issues you are having with MS exhange?

cfs
Sep 20, 2012, 12:38 PM
Access or edit? Either way there are a number of cloud based options.

How about the new Google Drive app?