Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Finally a new Touch!!!
What do you think?

''The new Touch will, however, pack the iPhone 4S' supefast A5 processor for mobile gaming prowess, and, more importantly, the iPhone 5's 4-inch widescreen retina display. This thing will be lovely for pocketable movies.
The camera has a 5MP sensor, backside illumination, f/2.5 apeture and all kinds of other goodies.
There's also a new button called an iPod touch loop that pops out when you touch it. - Pretty pointless now that we know what its for!!!
Facetime HD camera, 720p, face detection. All the stuff you'd expect from the front-facing cam.
Also gets the 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi bump
Siri is also a new feature coming to the new Touch and we can expect to see it in colours; Black, White, Blue, Yellow and Red which comes with the same colour wrist strap to connect to the Loop.
The iPod will also come with AirPlay Mirroring on your iPod touch, though! Which is nice, gonna pair great with that wristband!!!''

I know what I think, I'm getting it!!!
:) :) :)

Last edited:

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
It looks really nice! But I'm tired of having one... I had the 2nd and 4th gen., and it always makes me sad seeing how it always falls behind the iPhone in terms of features! So this time I'm getting the iPhone 5 :)

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Fantastic update can't wait to get my hands on one! IPS display to boot.

Last edited:

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Looks great but the big question is how much RAM is in this thing because if it still only has 256 MB of RAM it is going to suck with is slow and crashing. I would think it has 512 MB of RAM or more because of the 1080p video recording and Siri service but I will not be getting one until I know how much RAM is in this thing.

Also love how it will come in different colors. Too bad no purple color.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Finally...

A long overdue overhaul. Very nice. The iPod touch is really an iPad micro now. They will sell a boatload of them running up to Christmas - a fantastic introduction to the Apple ecosystem for kids and adults alike.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
If it has the RAM I will be getting one around Christmas time when they have deals on them and when they release cases and screen protectors for it which should be out by December.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Very impressed. This has me wanting to sell my pristine 64GB 4G iPod Touch and 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 w/bad ESN to get a 64GB model.

Since there is no 128 GB model, I'm going to look into replacing the battery on my 3G model.

I have really no justifiable use for most of the features introduced since the 3G 64gig model (camera, Siri, new processor, bigger screen).

battlekid

macrumors regular
Not very interesting. It might be worth buying if it has 1GB of RAM and the "lightning" to dock adapter doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The GPU/CPU is nerfed (but better than the previous gen), there was no mention of if the screen finally has IPS, no GPS was added, the colors are somewhat ugly, the strap they're now including looks flimsy and useless.

At least they finally gave it a decent camera.

THEAnonymous

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Considering the lackluster update from iPhone 4S > iPhone 5, I was pretty impressed with this iPod Touch refresh. Apart from the missing calling function, this thing is pretty much on par with the iPhone 4 (if not a touch above)...not too shabby, IMO.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
c'mon Apple

The new iPod Touch looks great - but c'mon Apple, still only 64 GB? I have been waiting years for an iPod Touch with 128 GB or more. I hate having to maintain subsets of my music. Yes, I know I can buy an iPod Classic but I'm way over that spin wheel technology. Disappointed, again.

battlekid

macrumors regular
Hmm. The processor is identical to the 4S's processor, so it's only a generation behind.

And at least it has siri.

The tech specs page says it has the oleophobic coating and IPS, so that's good.

Still no magnetic sensor, still no GPS. Oh well.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I just realized something. I have imported my large CD collection into my iTunes and have only purchased a relatively small number of songs from Apple/iTunes. Does this mean Apple has a skewed view of me as a customer? If you were to look at just my purchased from Apple music, 64 GB of storage would be overkill for my needs. But factor in my imported music and it's not enough to fit everything I own. Does Apple know how many songs we have in our iTunes libraries?

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Disappointed, unless it has 1gb of ram I probably will not buy. I don't see a use for Siri and the camera on my touch I hardly use at all, maybe a few pictures a year.

What I do is run a ton of apps on my touch and listen to music, and I really don't want to drop $300 on another touch that does the same thing I already have. What I want is drastically improved batter life and more ram, I want my apps to run smoothly without crashing, because as of now on my 4th gen touch the apps that I want to use barely run and do nothing but crash and it's very frustrating, and I don't want to have to charge twice a day just so I can get through the day.

crono3

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
Glad they FINALLY added some decent features to the Touch, but my #1 want of 128gb didn't happen. I'll probably get one, as my now-3-year-old Touch is getting slower & slower by the day, but I'll still have all the hassle and annoyance of figuring out what to take off every time I want to add something :(

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
The new iPod Touch looks great - but c'mon Apple, still only 64 GB? I have been waiting years for an iPod Touch with 128 GB or more. I hate having to maintain subsets of my music. Yes, I know I can buy an iPod Classic but I'm way over that spin wheel technology. Disappointed, again.

Very sad banana here too about the lack of a 128GB.
I'm sure that there is room under this new hood for the extra storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.