Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkytwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Hi, I have established that using a Windows keyboard on Mac is not a goer so I am using a Mac Keyboard (I am running dual boot). Is there a way of telling windows I am using a Mac layout or do I need to have two keyboards?

Ben

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
The Command key corresponds to the Windows key.

That's it, other than that, they work identically regardless of OS.

funkytwig

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
The Command key corresponds to the Windows key.

That's it, other than that, they work identically regardless of OS.

not quite true. There are several keys that od not work and some that are reversed (i.e. @ and "). Part of this is because the Mac keyboard has additional keys (i.e. \ is an additional key).

It kind of works but when using applications on windows that have a lot of keyboard shortcuts (i.e. Premiere) its a real pain the the arse;).

Ben

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
not quite true. There are several keys that od not work and some that are reversed (i.e. @ and "). Part of this is because the Mac keyboard has additional keys (i.e. \ is an additional key).

It kind of works but when using applications on windows that have a lot of keyboard shortcuts (i.e. Premiere) its a real pain the the arse;).

Ben

What language keyboard are you using? this is not true with the US English keyboard.

You can fix this in windows however by re-mapping the keys in windows.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I use my Windows keyboard on my mac with a KVM. I just switch thinking of shortcuts when I switch to the Mac. It is not much of a pain.

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Just google around a bit and you can install a modified version of BootCamp that only includes the keyboard drivers ... The build in my a sig is a PC, running windows only, using an apple keyboard

All the OSX style volume changing and eject animations work ... and all the keys are properly mapped

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.