Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
Hi everyone,

If this is a dumb question, please forgive me.

I intend to purchase the first generation Macintel PowerBook (at this point I'm just hoping they keep the anodized aluminum--love it! :)) Anyway, I was wondering... what problems may one encounter when purchasing a first generation product? Are problems with reliability, compatibility with software, etc. to be expected?

One more thing... by all means, speculate here if you want... but based on your knowledge of previous Apple trends, would you say that the new PB's would be more expensive, less expensive, or about the same price as their current PB's?

Just wanted to know what I was getting into. Thanks for your help! :)

-John

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
JohnEZ said:
what problems may one encounter when purchasing a first generation product?

Waiting for them to come out! We don't have any CLEAR indication when the Intel based Powerbooks will be released. We don't know the specs or features of those systems.

I expect that the Intel based Powerbooks will be a bit cheaper than current PowerPC Powerbooks.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
You know what I would do? When the new Intel PowerBooks are released, I'd buy a (barely) used PPC PB. They'll be selling for *cheap* and are undoubtedly going to be more reliable than their Intel counterparts. Use it for a year or two to allow for the kinks to be worked out. Then go all in on a new MacIntel.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
tfaz1 said:
You know what I would do? When the new Intel PowerBooks are released, I'd buy a (barely) used PPC PB. They'll be selling for *cheap* and are undoubtedly going to be more reliable than their Intel counterparts. Use it for a year or two to allow for the kinks to be worked out. Then go all in on a new MacIntel.

Yea I think that is what I would do too - but instead of buying a used PPC PB, i would just keep my sony vaio.

I hope the aluminum is black though. LOL. I've been pushing for black anodized aluminum all over the forums :p

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
iEric said:
I hope the aluminum is black though. LOL. I've been pushing for black anodized aluminum all over the forums :p

LOL That is one thing I've been hoping they won't do! I like the cases just the way they are. If they have to be redesigned, I would really like for them to stay the same anodized aluminum. :) Now, if they made black an option... that's a different story. ;)

Regarding buying a slightly used PB... I'm a little reluctant to buy anything used. Had a few bad experiences with used things.. but it's always something to consider. The thing is that I planned to upgrade a few things on the PB that can't be done after the sale. But we'll see what happens :)

Thanks again,
John

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Make sure you get the one that includes as much cool stuff as you can afford....

OK, seriously:

- may be heat issues
- if there is a form factor change it may take them a while to work out screen and keyboard quality
- if they change the metal there may be strength issues

But man, I'm looking forward to seeing what they are going to do with all the designs. I'd love to see a black anodised aluminium PowerBook, with a brighter, possibly higher definition screen, sans those awful shiny coatings, a 13.3" widescreen model to replace the 12" which would then have feature parity with the other larger models - it would be an awesome machine if it arrives.

I'm eagerly anticipating seeing the new specs when they arise, I don't think they will use any of Intel's current processors so any speculation is pretty much null and void until we know exactly how well the chips perform - hopefully with a much longer battery life and cooler operation to put and end to the InfertilityBook stories.....

I also cannot wait to see how well Apple and the other companies have implemented the software side - I'd love to be able to show off OS X to a Windows user, the only real difference being the software and blow them away with OS X's speed and power.

Back on specs, I think it would be a good idea for Apple to beef up the specs on the PowerBooks so they can ramp up the specs and abilities of the iBook, not being able to natively run 2 displays is a bit of a copout when every other laptop I've seen (both at, above and below the iBook's price tag) can do it. I don't mind if it's VGA only and the PowerBook keeps the DVI out, I just think that all laptops should be able to run a second separate display. It would be a godsend for students trying to do a presentation and actually be able to use Keynote/Powerpoint's presenter tools.

OK, gone way off topic here but oh well.

I think it would hurt Apple's image to bump up prices on the IntelBook considering the perceived ability for the switch to Intel to bring lower priced chips. I would imagine they would offer the new portables at the same price if not a smidgen lower.

But, we will all have to wait a bit longer. Intel machines (what type we do not know as Steve did not say in the WWDC keynote despite what many people think they heard) will be shipping by the middle of next year. All this means is that Apple could announce models shipping the week before the conference. Or they could come out at MWSF in January although I doubt this as software could be a little light on the ground in universal binary form - if they did come out this soon there would be a fair few people whinging about performance because all their software would be running in Rosetta.

There's a lot to figure out yet but I'm very excited to see how it goes, my next Mac will probably be a rev b. PowerBook with a nice widescreen and a ton of hard drive space and extra RAM. It sure will be nice to be speccing out a Mac for real again.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I bought a rev a Powerbook 5300/100cs from Apple back in 1995. First PowerPC laptop they ever sold. The Internet stack sucked, and the thing would crash constantly. And those were the evil times when one crash brought down your whole computer. I used Suns at work and was like "this is how Apple builds computers?". Within a year and a half I had literally thrown it in the trash and bought a Dell running Win 95. I bought it for the OS! There's some irony for your ass. Eventually the twin towers that were the Powerbook G4 and OSX came to pass, and I returned from the darkside. But Apple build quality has gone through good times and bad times - and no matter what any zealout tells you, it can go south again.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
It has been said, but I will reiterate. It could be a while! I don't think PBs are going to be the first of the line to be updated, could be years.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
well you are talking all new hardware (new proc, mobo, video, probably screen, ect, ect...) Who knows what will happen with the first rev of a new machine, just make sure to get applecare, and realize that all your old PPC apps are going to be running with emulation till the new versions come out.

oh yeah, and have fun waiting, it may be as long as up to two years before you see such a machine....

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
lopresmb said:
...realize that all your old PPC apps are going to be running with emulation till the new versions come out.

oh yeah, and have fun waiting, it may be as long as up to two years before you see such a machine....

Well, that's the wonderful thing. I have no PPC Apps, because I'm running Windows. The Powerbook would be my first Mac... which is why it makes sense to wait for it. I won't be re-buying the applications I would already have if I bought a PPC PowerBook.

Waiting isn't a problem. It means I save more for it, which means I could get one that's fully loaded. And who knows when they'll make one? I think they need to distance the PowerBook line from the iBook line, so the new PB could in fact be closer than we think, with the iBook update later. :)

-John

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Just look at the history of the new G5 iMac.

When it was first released it certainly had the "wow" factor, but you really had to purchase a BTO, upgrading the RAM & HD and adding Bluetooth plus an airport card to get a decent machine. In addition problems were identified early on with fan noise being a particular issue.

Now you can walk in to any Apple store and purchase a perfectly acceptably specified iMac at a great price, with some confidence that you'll have a problem free machine.

Personally, I'd wait for at least the second iteration of the forthcoming portable MacTel's before buying in.

Vanilla

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
always safer to wait for a Rev B of anything... i like the idea of buying used ppc powerbook

also, we have no idea how long of a wait it will be- at least a year

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
It is difficult to determine whether the "Rev A" theory is largely a result of a substantial number of failed products or MacRumors members' paranoia. While Rev B products must surely be "better" than Rev A, that does not imply that the Rev A products are bad. Sometimes when you read "Stay away from Rev A!" it makes it seem as though the thing is a piece of crap that is going to explode. I doubt that is the case.

From personal experience, my Rev A 12" PowerBook may run hot, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying it.

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
Thanks for that about RevA PowerBooks. It's what I plan on :)

Jesse, frankly, I can wait. If it really doesn't come for two years, I'll get a Mini :) But I'm definitely getting a First Gen PB. :)

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Personally, I think it is always better to wait until rev. b, but I am not sure that I am going to be able to stop myself from buying the first day the Yonah PowerBooks are available. I know that my 1.25GHz G4 PB could easily hold me over until rev b., but I have always been an early adopter. I just can't help myself.

If you can wait for rev b, do it. Too many new components to go off without a hitch.

Hickman

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
If you want one - get one!

Every supermarket is able to build a Intel Notebook - with that many years in expirience and the Sony Vaio Engineers on board - what can go wrong?

And if it does - you have one year warranty. If a new machine sucks then usually in the beginning.

my 2 cents

BTW - they will be released on WWDC 2006 , just fyi

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Freg3000 said:
It is difficult to determine whether the "Rev A" theory is largely a result of a substantial number of failed products or MacRumors members' paranoia. While Rev B products must surely be "better" than Rev A, that does not imply that the Rev A products are bad. Sometimes when you read "Stay away from Rev A!" it makes it seem as though the thing is a piece of crap that is going to explode. I doubt that is the case.

From personal experience, my Rev A 12" PowerBook may run hot, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying it.

Exactly - look at the iMacs! Current Rev B is reported having heat problems!

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
If I feel like I need an upgrade when they're announced, I'll buy. I trust Apple. If its a lemon, I trust it will get replaced/upgraded.

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
njmac said:
If I feel like I need an upgrade when they're announced, I'll buy. I trust Apple. If its a lemon, I trust it will get replaced/upgraded.

Exactly. And, I have an Apple Store and another Authorized Reseller relatively close. I'll go there and test it out and see it in person before buying so I'll know what kind of product it is :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.