Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

area5x1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Fool me once, shame on you Apple, fool me twice shame on me.

The 4th gen iPod Touch, while having a high resolution screen, has appalling viewing angles. Does anyone know if this is the same with the new iPod Touch?

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
There is a full black bar on the top of the rear iPhone.

I believe the iPod Touch only has a small oval on the right hand side which is used for Wifi reception.

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/features/

oh wow...that huge black top bar on the iPhone 5 is for Wifi? so i'm guessing b/c they made the phone thinner they had to place the antenna externally? i don't get it...i thought the metal band around the iPhone was for ALL radio reception (voice, data, and wifi).

yeah, it's the small oval i was talking about for the iPod Touch. so that's the antenna for the iPod Touch? why couldn't they keep the designs consistent? the oval looks extremely misplaced

silversun

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Good to know that Ipod touch 5 have IPS display...then the screen should be on par with the iPhone

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
Overall, I thought this was an amazing upgrade to the iPod Touch. Perhaps this is due to the fact that there wasn't an upgrade last year.

Other than GPS/Cellular capabilities, the only differences I could find when comparing the iPod Touch and iPhone tech specification pages side by side was that the iPod has the A5 instead of A6 processor and a 5mp versus 8mp camera.

And yes, it's very expensive. But if you consider that it's completely non-subsidized, unlike the carriers who heavily subsidize the iPhone, maybe $299 isn't so bad. I would like to know the component costs involved.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I was also thinking about the same question as the OP, I find my 4th gen iPod touch unusable because of the appalling viewing angles and color shifting. Although I will not rule out the possibility of binning, I guess IPS should guarantee a baseline quality across these screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.