Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Holy CRAP.. 44 lobsters in 12 minutes?

Every 5 years or so I head home to New England to celebrate my birthday with some lobsters. I', 6'6" and weigh 270lbs. I can't eat more then two 2.5lbs lobsters. Scratch that, I don't WANT to eat more then 5 lbs of lobster! Achh.. the smell. <shudder>

I heard it caused sterility. And kitten deaths.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
wdlove said:
I was [there] on the 13th.
Were you competing, wdlove, or just a spectator? :D

I've never tried lobster, although I'd like to sometime if I had someone to show me the tricks. Your basic fried catfish filet I can handle, but lobster takes a little more work. ;)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Lyle said:
It's not the lobster itself that causes the cancer, it's that lobsters are notorious chain-smokers and so you have to deal with the second-hand smoke issue.

So true.. so very true. Nasty chain-smoking cockroaches of the seas, they are...

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
oh god lobster bisque, my favorite food in the whole wide world. *drools*

and uh, yay gluttony! i hate eating contests, they're morally bankrupt.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
From the title alone, I was going to ask if the competitive lobsters were eating hotdogs and whether they were wearing bibs. :p

I don't think I could eat much but it would certainly be wonderful to try. As far as lobster meat causing cancer, I've never heard any evidence that it's any worse than eating red meat and I've seen plenty of studies toward that. Good for anyone who wants to win a contest. :D

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Lacero said:
Lobster meat (if you can call it 'meat') causes cancer.

everything causes cancer. theres a story on cnn about how Lance Armstrong says the US should spend more on fighting cancer, anyway in the article it mentions....

Cancer is a leading cause of death in the United States. According to the American Cancer Society, nearly half of all U.S. men and about a third of women will develop cancer in their lifetimes.

thats crazy, i have a 50-50 chance of getting cancer already, i'll eat what i want... i just dont like seafood anyway haha ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Lyle said:
Were you competing, wdlove, or just a spectator? :D

I've never tried lobster, although I'd like to sometime if I had someone to show me the tricks. Your basic fried catfish filet I can handle, but lobster takes a little more work. ;)

Sorry, I corrected my incomplete sentence. :eek:

I wasn't at the event. Just found out about it and thought I would share.

My wife and I had Lobster Saturday evening though. The 1 1/2 pound Lobster was plenty for me.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Lacero said:
Lobster meat (if you can call it 'meat') causes cancer.

Oh Jesus Christ. EVERYTHING causes cancer these days. Cell phones, water, air, lobster, crack, anal sex, raspberries, blueberries, dingleberries, skateboarding, chocolate, eggs, milk, sunlight, TV's, video games, smoking, bathing, eating, sleeping, running, anal sex, coffee, drugs, pepsi, donuts, dinner, lunch, breakfast, sounds, radiation and anal sex. Let's all get over it.

And, instead of having EATING competitions, where we waste food on glutonous, fat ass people, why don't we give that food to those who do not have it. America glorifies this eating competition thing, yet fails to feed its own people who are jobless and starving to death?

Good God this country's [expletive deleted] up.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
wdlove said:
Competitive Lobster eating...

Am I the only one that finds these eating, or to put it more accurately, over-eating competions downright gross?

Can you imagine sleeping in the same room that night of one of these people that enter these competitions? Just the thought is enough to gross me out :eek:

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
finite resources should not be consumed in eating contests, it is no wonder there are no longer lobsters as big as they used to be, that is why i am all for hot dog eating contests their are plenty of lips and a**holes to go around :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Lobster is very easy to eat. I can easily eat more than 1 or 2 lobsters like some of you can.

However, it is a bit gross. I'd never avoid it just because it (supposedly) causes cancer. I mean, eggs were deemed good for you once. Then they were deemed bad for you, and now they're good for you again. I don't know what they are now.

Bananas cause cancer. Living in Colorado......higher risk of cancer. I think that lots of things are found to cause cancer because time passes as these tests are done, and as time passes, the chances of you having gotten some form of cancer has increased. Maybe the factor is just age, and that people start to get all sorts of weird cancers as they live longer.

Onizuka said:
Oh Jesus Christ. EVERYTHING causes cancer these days. Cell phones, water, air, lobster, crack, anal sex, raspberries, blueberries, dingleberries, skateboarding, chocolate, eggs, milk, sunlight, TV's, video games, smoking, bathing, eating, sleeping, running, anal sex, coffee, drugs, pepsi, donuts, dinner, lunch, breakfast, sounds, radiation and anal sex. Let's all get over it.

So you must have all sorts of different cancers. Am I right? Huh? Hey?

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
yellow said:
You know, I have been proven to be surprisingly carcinogen free..

You may be carcinogen free but your body does have cancer cells in it at this time. The only difference between you and someone that has cancer is your bodies self defence mechanisms are currently functioning correctly.

The number of things that cause cancer are quite low, the number of things that can trip your immune system up are quite high. These are carcinogens.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
mj_1903 said:
You may be carcinogen free but your body does have cancer cells in it at this time. The only difference between you and someone that has cancer is your bodies self defence mechanisms are currently functioning correctly.

Thanks Doc, I was being facetious. :)

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
yikes... with all of the over-farming of lobster that goes on in the northeast, i'm surprised that they do this...

as for the cancer, lobster, like crabs here in dc/maryland- are bottom feeders. they eat all the crap and gunk that settle on the bottom of the bay/ocean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.