Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickosbad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Hi All

Hope someone can help me, I currently have my iMac holding all of my iTunes content on an external HDD

I have just got my new Macbook Air and rather than fill the 128GB drive with duplicates of my music I was hoping to use a combination of itunes cloud and or match to do the following

Can I have ALL of my library visible in iTunes on my MBA WITHOUT actually having it located on the drive (like iTunes Match does on the iPhone) and if I want to listen to a song simply download it?

If so can it then be easily removed from the Air without deleting it from the library??

Cheers

Nick

nickosbad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
can you then simply delete them from your mac without deleting them from your match database?

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
can you then simply delete them from your mac without deleting them from your match database?

Yes, no problem in deleting the files. However: do not check the option to also delete from iCloud!

Another option, if you are using both computers around the home, is to share the library from the iMac (with itunes home sharing), and listen to the music on the macbook air that way.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Can I have ALL of my library visible in iTunes on my MBA WITHOUT actually having it located on the drive (like iTunes Match does on the iPhone) and if I want to listen to a song simply download it?

That actually happens automatically. It will show _all_ your music, and when you try to play it, that one song is downloaded automatically. If you think there's more music than you wanted on your MBA, you can delete songs in iTunes, just read whatever warnings come very carefully and make sure you don't delete the songs in the cloud!

Yes, no problem in deleting the files. However: do not check the option to also delete from iCloud!
That deserves a bold.

nickosbad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Cool, thanks guys.................one more question though before i drop £22 on iTunes Match

If I turn it on on my iMac then it will "match" all of my locally stored music in the cloud.......I can then download it to my MBA and iPad whenver I want.......but.......can I then turn it off on my iMac so that that one just uses the local content rather than download everything?

Basically by set-up would ideally look like this:

iMac: Accesses content from the HDD
MBA, iPad, iPhone: Accesses content from the cloud

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
If it's already on your hard drive then it won't re-download every time you play it, it will always default to the file that is already in place. I would suggest leaving it on all the time on that machine, that way your matched library in the cloud will be kept up to date and you won't have to remember to turn it on and re-run the match/upload process every time you add new music to your iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.