PDA

View Full Version : Isn't the new Nano great?

LostSoul80
Sep 13, 2012, 05:35 AM
It's very portable, offers a decent storage option (16 GB) and the screen seems perfect to browse songs. Not to mention it's 149$. Isn't that just great? It also has FM radio. I love it.

iproductsuser
Sep 13, 2012, 05:37 AM
I think the nano lost it's place and IMO, it's too big. I bought the previous gen nano with the built in clip and it's the perfect size for clipping on my gym shorts for working out and/or running. I didn't see a built in clip on the new nano and the size just seems too big almost like they are trying to make it a mini iPod touch. I think if you want that experience, buy the touch but the nano (IMO) should have remained very small with built in clip. JMHO.:apple:

Zedsdead185
Sep 13, 2012, 05:40 AM
It's very portable, offers a decent storage option (16 GB) and the screen seems perfect to browse songs. Not to mention it's 149$. Isn't that just great? It also has FM radio. I love it.

I really can't tell if your being serious or not... Especially with your choice of profile picture.....:p

----------

I think the nano lost it's place and IMO, it's too big. I bought the previous gen nano with the built in clip and it's the perfect size for clipping on my gym shorts for working out and/or running. I didn't see a built in clip on the new nano and the size just seems too big almost like they are trying to make it a mini iPod touch. I think if you want that experience, buy the touch but the nano (IMO) should have remained very small with built in clip. JMHO.:apple:

I think your right. To be honest, I can see them dropping the whole ipod line on the next update and just releasing a small portable ipod (taking the place of the ipod shuffle and ipod nano) and a larger more storage based iPod with app functionality (taking the place of the ipod classic and ipod touch).

LostSoul80
Sep 13, 2012, 05:45 AM
I'm serious. Look at this hands on
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=m-feedu&v=vazlu9G4Qq0

It's quite small and very thin. It reminds me of the 2nd gen Nano, but the screen makes it incredibly easy to browse songs.
I would rather buy a Shuffle instead of a prev gen Nano, honestly.

DJTaurus
Sep 13, 2012, 05:54 AM
How we are supposed to train/run without a clip......? :(

LostSoul80
Sep 13, 2012, 06:19 AM

There are accessories that you can use with it, just like all the previos gen Nano (except for the 6th).
Besides, you can still buy a new shuffle if that's all you need. I figured this Nano would fit in my pocket nicely.

floling
Sep 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
...lack of wifi.
would be a perfect tiny browser ..
but everybody justs craves for the 4 inch display..

madsilencerr
Sep 13, 2012, 08:31 AM
Yes, it is beautiful!

webslinger85
Sep 13, 2012, 08:35 AM
How we are supposed to train/run without a clip......? :( I'm sure case companies will quickly come out with belt clip and arm band solutions. Or pick up a 6th gen before they disappear.

People are acting like the new nano is such a disappointment. Personally I never used the clip on my 6th gen, and if anything, I found it more annoying

If people don't like it, don't buy it, Apple isn't putting a gun to your head.

AlphaHumanus
Sep 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
There are accessories that you can use with it

I'm sure case companies will quickly come out with belt clip and arm band solutions.

People are acting like the new nano is such a disappointment. Personally I never used the clip on my 6th gen, and if anything, I found it more annoying

Just seems dumb to remove one of the big advantages, the clip.

I'm not saying the change was horrific, but it was "such a disappointment" to me. It's apples product to take in whatever direction they choose, but your (webslinger) acting like people shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion on this. A lot of us wanted a more integrated nano, with more usability for workouts and physical activity. IMO, they gave an entire niche the cold shoulder. The new nano is a loss for me.

Also, I know I don't have to buy one, thanks for letting me know.:rolleyes: Point being is that I was ready to, until the reveal. Saved me some $$.

tonyshaker
Sep 13, 2012, 11:14 AM
To be very honest I think the new nano looks like a cheap china made ipod it looks kind of fake and the way they have designed the icons round still icons bluetooth isn't a big deal they should have included it last year than leaving the iPod line untouched with out any upgrades to it.

To be honest i think apple have lost it with the iPod line.:(

Hexiii
Sep 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
To be very honest I think the new nano looks like a cheap china made ipod it looks kind of fake and the way they have designed the icons round still icons bluetooth isn't a big deal they should have included it last year than leaving the iPod line untouched with out any upgrades to it.

Yeah, it looks to me like it was quickly made in last two months. The UI (and I don't mean just the circular icons), the design and the colours are not good either, maybe even worse than the 3rd gen colours.

The iPod update just doesn't seem Apple like, where did the simplicity go?

AT101ET
Sep 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
I quite like it but would prefer a touch. I may pick one up on ebay at one stage though.

myrtlebee
Sep 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
The best iPod nano was the 5th generation. That should have been the (at least) 2-year design, not the 6th gen or this thing. It's gaudy - no new features, just bringing back video they eliminated 2 years before - and I don't even think they allow you to change the background. I really wish the iPod Touch wasn't so damn expensive - could they really not just scrap the 4th gen and have an 8 or 16 GB new iPod Touch start at $199? At first, I didn't like those either - I still don't like the colored ones, but the black and white models are growing on me. Well, except that stupid "Loop" button- that will never grow on me, it's just gimmicky.

dXTC
Sep 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
The best iPod nano was the 5th generation. That should have been the (at least) 2-year design, not the 6th gen or this thing. It's gaudy - no new features, just bringing back video they eliminated 2 years before - and I don't even think they allow you to change the background.

I agree with you on the 5th gen; I'm still rockin' mine, and probably will until they fall apart.

That said, I appreciate the return to form in the 7th gen, in regards to general shape and video playback. The resemblance to the 2nd gen's profile (from an edge-on perspective) is not lost on me either. I can't say I'm a fan of the white bezel, nor of the softened colors as shown in the promo photos. I'll have to reserve my judgment on those aspects until I see the actual product in person.

tigress666
Sep 13, 2012, 02:43 PM
Nanos are all so different you are going to get strong opinions which ones people like best (For example I strongly disagree with the poster above me, I really disliked the 5th gen. I wish I hadn't sold my 3rd gen. But it now resides in my car as the car's dedicated ipod). I'm laughing at this thread cause when the 6th gen was introduced there was a lot of gnashing of teeth about how it lost features.

Now there is gnashing of teeth (which I will say I agree with as the 6th gen was one of my favorite nanos) about the change. But, I already have a 6th gen myself and I guess if it breaks I'll just buy a used one off of craigslist.

My personal problem, I hate the stick form. I don't understand why people like it so much (I actually expected people to be yaying at the bringing back of the more stick like form). I like the more square ones, they fit in your pocket better. And I love the clip myself (Though honestly I don't find it clips hard enough so I stopped trusting it so I guess it's not so useful :(. The idea was great though).

The only thing I disliked about the 6th gen was the battery life (cause it's so small).

Yeah, I'm not big on the change, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who liked the 6th gen (cause I was one of hte few defending it when they introduced it, I loved the idea from when they first introduced it!) but I just won't buy it and hopefully some point they'll come up with something better. It's not like I need a new nano anyways, they didn't even increase the storage space and I don't need more at the moment so it really doesn't affect me. Hell, if there's enough whining that people liked the watch like ipod maybe they'll bring something similar back (maybe with better battery life).

I do wish what they did was replace the shuffle with the 6th gen and maybe introduce this new nano. Best of both worlds for people who liked both and the shuffle really has gotten really stale (for one thing it just doesn't fit much music at all!). The 6th gen nano is a two year old design now, I don't see why they can't just bump it down to the shuffle price (maybe even just increase the shuffle price a little).

kaielement
Sep 13, 2012, 02:50 PM
I'm sure case companies will quickly come out with belt clip and arm band solutions. Or pick up a 6th gen before they disappear.

I use the clip all the time...

ericrwalker
Sep 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
I'm serious. Look at this hands on
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=m-feedu&v=vazlu9G4Qq0

It's quite small and very thin. It reminds me of the 2nd gen Nano, but the screen makes it incredibly easy to browse songs.

vazlu9G4Qq0

Scrapula
Sep 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
How to attach while lifting weights or running? Arm bands don't work for me when I'm lifting, I have a heart rate monitor strap across my chest, the monitor/watch on my wrist, so the best place would be to clip on my shirt. Maybe I could Velcro the nano to a small chip-clip?

I like the looks of the new nano a lot. Couldn't care less about FM radio or Nike+, just would like larger capacity than a shuffle. Maybe the didn't increase the capacity of the shuffle to try and move people like me to the nano.

jafingi
Sep 13, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hmmm.. I'll have to see it in real life before deciding.

Honestly, in The Verge's hands-on video, it looks like a cheap chinese knock-off :confused:

But gonna try it in store when it's available :)

TheGenerous
Sep 13, 2012, 04:48 PM

Any Cowon is a better option IMHO. These Korean players have better sound.

6GenNANO
Sep 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
I said this once before, but I will say it again! I am really, really upset about this new Nano! I was excited that I would be able to use a nano as a watch with bluetooth capabilites at the gym! Having the controls on my wrist while connected wirelessly to my bluetooth headset is something I was looking forward too, and apple just crushed that dream yesterday. How in the hell am I am going to use this long nano as an easy accessible watch/mp3 player now at the gym? Why does apple ignore the people who workout? Why cant Apple release a sport nano? which is the 6th gen with bluetooth?

haruki
Sep 13, 2012, 08:03 PM
I'm really happy the nano has gone back to the rectangle shape instead of the awkward square. That's more Creative Tech than Apple.

The iPod is too big while the nano is the perfect size (with screen).

mateo124
Sep 13, 2012, 08:24 PM

Like seriously wtf? I think all they should have added was bluetooth to the 6th gen Nano and maybe a battery life increase. It was PERFECT in size and I LOVE using it as a watch. I was so looking foward to being able to read text messages on it after I received them on my iPhone but they just decide to go and make it bigger. Thanks, but no thanks Apple

ftaok
Sep 13, 2012, 08:25 PM
I said this once before, but I will say it again! I am really, really upset about this new Nano! I was excited that I would be able to use a nano as a watch with bluetooth capabilites at the gym! Having the controls on my wrist while connected wirelessly to my bluetooth headset is something I was looking forward too, and apple just crushed that dream yesterday. How in the hell am I am going to use this long nano as an easy accessible watch/mp3 player now at the gym? Why does apple ignore the people who workout? Why cant Apple release a sport nano? which is the 6th gen with bluetooth?
You could get a small 30-pin bluetooth transmitter. There's several that work perfectly with the nano6G.

What I want is a small bluetooth transmitter that connects to the headphone jack. I need the 30-pin for my Nike+ receiver. Now that the 30-pin is effectively discontinued, I doubt Nike would be working on an integrated Nike+ receiver/Bluetooth transmitter.

dag-nab-it.

Davy.Shalom
Sep 13, 2012, 09:28 PM

I think it looks cheap too. When Steve Jobs was introducing the iPod Nano 6g, and he showed the 5g with the clickwheel removed and just the screen, I thought that was going to be the new nano. I don't really like this design. In terms of functionality, I think it's better than the 6th gen nano. I used a 6th gen nano and I wasn't able to control it because of the sweat on my hands. I think for the gym, the shuffle is a far superior choice. Plus, if you're lifting heavy dumbbells, and it happens to come off your pants/shirt/(insert article of clothing) as you set down or drop the dumbbell, the cost of replacing it is very small.

----------

The best iPod nano was the 5th generation. That should have been the (at least) 2-year design, not the 6th gen or this thing. It's gaudy - no new features, just bringing back video they eliminated 2 years before - and I don't even think they allow you to change the background. I really wish the iPod Touch wasn't so damn expensive - could they really not just scrap the 4th gen and have an 8 or 16 GB new iPod Touch start at $199? At first, I didn't like those either - I still don't like the colored ones, but the black and white models are growing on me. Well, except that stupid "Loop" button- that will never grow on me, it's just gimmicky.

iPod touch mini!

mgipe
Sep 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
But only 16GB! Couldn't they at least add a 32GB option?

Davy.Shalom
Sep 13, 2012, 11:59 PM
But only 16GB! Couldn't they at least add a 32GB option?

Nope, the marginal cost exceeded the marginal benefit. They're hoping that if you want a 32 gb player you'll either get a touch or an iphone.

LostSoul80
Sep 14, 2012, 04:40 AM
Another hands on:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjj_WorKDs

I don't really think it looks cheap at all. Instead, it looks like it's well built.
It has a multi touch screen, which should make it very easy to browse through songs. It's designed to be a music player, not a gaming platform, web browser or other, and I like that idea, thus the dumbed down OS. Which makes complete sense to me. Such a small display wouldn't allow much, but they added support to photos and videos too.
Basing on my use, it would be the perfect player for me.

Jessica Lares
Sep 14, 2012, 05:06 AM
I think it's great, pre-ordered one in blue. Probably will end up with all the colors in one point as this is my favorite design ever for the nano. I think this is the start of them adding more space to future models. I think the shuffle is nearing its EOL.

Abstract
Sep 14, 2012, 05:24 AM
The only good thing about this is that the 6th gen Nano may be discounted.

seong
Sep 14, 2012, 06:15 AM
The only good thing about this is that the 6th gen Nano may be discounted.

lol same thought process here :D
waiting for the straps (like Lunatik) to be discounted as well!

Abstract
Sep 14, 2012, 06:49 AM
lol same thought process here :D
waiting for the straps (like Lunatik) to be discounted as well!

Well some of these iPod Nano watchstrap companies now have no reason to exist, so perhaps you can just buy their entire company. :p

iSee
Sep 14, 2012, 07:13 AM
How to attach while lifting weights or running? Arm bands don't work for me when I'm lifting, I have a heart rate monitor strap across my chest, the monitor/watch on my wrist, so the best place would be to clip on my shirt. Maybe I could Velcro the nano to a small chip-clip?

I like the looks of the new nano a lot. Couldn't care less about FM radio or Nike+, just would like larger capacity than a shuffle. Maybe the didn't increase the capacity of the shuffle to try and move people like me to the nano.

Bluetooth... You're supposed to stick it in a pocket (or sock or where ever) and listen using Bluetooth headphones. I guess Apple doesn't think you want to control it much while working out. Of course, 3rd-party clips will be available shortly.

seong
Sep 14, 2012, 08:10 AM
Well some of these iPod Nano watchstrap companies now have no reason to exist, so perhaps you can just buy their entire company. :p

LOLOLOLOL, hangent thought of THAT!!!!!:rolleyes::p:p

notjustjay
Sep 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
Bluetooth... You're supposed to stick it in a pocket (or sock or where ever) and listen using Bluetooth headphones. I guess Apple doesn't think you want to control it much while working out. Of course, 3rd-party clips will be available shortly.

Well, my Bluetooth headphones have volume and track controls built into them, so controlling the iPod while it's in a pocket is not a problem.

I really like the idea of having one of these new nanos in my car. My only wish is that if it had wifi then it could automatically download music as I buy it from iTunes. I have that feature enabled on my iPhone and iPad (and of course iTunes on my Mac) and it's really handy that I can buy an album in one place and automagically have it show up on my other devices.

Huge125
Sep 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
Like seriously wtf? I think all they should have added was bluetooth to the 6th gen Nano and maybe a battery life increase. It was PERFECT in size and I LOVE using it as a watch. I was so looking foward to being able to read text messages on it after I received them on my iPhone but they just decide to go and make it bigger. Thanks, but no thanks Apple

Agree, and I thought that was the direction they were moving towards especially since it appears they embraced the watch concept by offering different faces on the last update. I mean they have to have technical abilities to add BT to the smaller form factor and make it connect to an iPhone. I just don't understand why they didnt.

Swing and a miss. I think they are testing the waters to see just how many different iPods Apple fans are willing to buy. As someone else mentioned, I bet the current design is gone in a year and they move back the smaller design and eliminate the shuffle.

iSee
Sep 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
Well, my Bluetooth headphones have volume and track controls built into them, so controlling the iPod while it's in a pocket is not a problem.

I really like the idea of having one of these new nanos in my car. My only wish is that if it had wifi then it could automatically download music as I buy it from iTunes. I have that feature enabled on my iPhone and iPad (and of course iTunes on my Mac) and it's really handy that I can buy an album in one place and automagically have it show up on my other devices.

They all pretty much have basic controls but they all pretty much suck, too (IMO). But im happy with the new nano. Personally, I'd prefer no cords to native controls.

tctony
Sep 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
It would be perfect to replace my iPod classic if it had more storage.

Jessica Lares
Sep 14, 2012, 02:18 PM
Well, here's a theory, and only based on what's out there... A lot of people have issues with the LiveView and Sony Smartwatch disconnecting. Maybe they prototyped the bluetooth nano with the watch form factor and it didn't meet their standards because it had the same issue as those other products.

I would have loved the wireless iTunes syncing too.

MacFather
Sep 14, 2012, 03:42 PM
http://media.gdgt.com/img/products/470/a37w/a37w-640.jpg

awful white plastic strip on the back for bluetooth connection. Steve would have never allowed this.

Dark Void
Sep 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
Considering one of these possibly in the near future. Interface looks okay, the icons are kind of ugly in my opinion. It looks like a nice form factor though and the size is nice.

I have a 160GB iPod Classic. Is there even a market for that if I wanted to sell it? Haha, like who even wants that? I love the design of it and the interface but it makes so much noise and the like. It's also much more capacity than I actually need.

limonade
Sep 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
Image (http://media.gdgt.com/img/products/470/a37w/a37w-640.jpg)

awful white plastic strip on the back for bluetooth connection. Steve would have never allowed this.

I agree with you. The new iPod nano is such a shame.

http://www.techmag.fr/wp-content/images/ipod-nano-4g.jpg

This generation looked way better.

kaielement
Sep 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
No Pink what a shame my favorite color lol.... Hope My 6th gen Nano last for ever.

tctony
Sep 15, 2012, 01:01 AM
Considering one of these possibly in the near future. Interface looks okay, the icons are kind of ugly in my opinion. It looks like a nice form factor though and the size is nice.

I have a 160GB iPod Classic. Is there even a market for that if I wanted to sell it? Haha, like who even wants that? I love the design of it and the interface but it makes so much noise and the like. It's also much more capacity than I actually need.

I've been trimming down my library. But I would still love one of these in a 64 GB flavor to replace my 120 GB iPod classic. The software is really painful to use after having the touch interface.

iLLUMI
Sep 15, 2012, 02:28 AM
Even though the iPod Nano has experienced (or still is experiencing) much of an identity crisis, previous generations have all been very stylish and cool.

I agree with previous posts that the 7th gen is somewhat of a cheap looking thing that doesn't seem to conform to Apples high standards. Those brightly colored, rounded icons and color matched background look horrible. Can I say "Yuk!" right here... The icons kinda look like M&M's. I wonder if this will give anyone the urge to want to shake the device up and down to see if the icons rattle around. :p

....but, having said that the Slate version does look nice. However those icons still look bad on this one.

As for watching videos, isn't the screen a little too small?
I think I would be more interested in having simple game apps to play with than watching video.

Still no WiFi. That would have made it possible to directly download podcasts and tunes from the iTunes store.
Wireless syncing with iTunes would have been nice too. For example, if you're someone that likes to leave your Nano connected up in the car, then you could simply start iTunes on your Mac or PC, sync to your Nano then add/remove tunes, update playlists etc remotely. No more unplugging from the car then connecting to your computer and all that rigamarole every time.
Oh well, maybe next generation... ??

If someone finds a way to JB this device and update the icons and background then I might be happy to buy one.

The Nano is still a good 'car-pod' (an iPod you can simply load up with tunes and just leave in your car). The previous gen of the Nano with its clip became my 'gym-pod'. All we need now is one that is water proof and that can be my 'jacuzzi pod' ... kidding of course.... :p

So to answer the question, maybe not "great", but different. Again if it can be JB'n it might become great. Add WiFi and it would become awesome!!! :D

Technarchy
Sep 15, 2012, 03:25 AM
I'm still rockin a 3rd gen iPod Nano, which replaced a 1st gen that was stolen from my car.

I think Apple made the right choice with the 7th gen. The larger screen will make for a better touch experience and manipulation on the move.

Also, it's actually smaller than the just about every previous nano made.

Looks good too

http://images.apple.com/au/ipod-nano/images/bump/slate.png

My 3rd gen wont die however, so I can't justify replacing it.

cube
Sep 15, 2012, 03:37 AM
- Where is the camera?
- Where are the 32GB?
- The only acceptable colors are graphite and silver, but dual tone is still ugly, maybe OK in silver.

jodelli
Sep 15, 2012, 03:38 AM
Nanos are all so different you are going to get strong opinions which ones people like best...

...I like the more square ones, they fit in your pocket better. And I love the clip myself...

...I do wish what they did was replace the shuffle with the 6th gen and maybe introduce this new nano. Best of both worlds for people who liked both and the shuffle really has gotten really stale (for one thing it just doesn't fit much music at all!). The 6th gen nano is a two year old design now, I don't see why they can't just bump it down to the shuffle price (maybe even just increase the shuffle price a little).

I think you're right. To be honest, I can see them dropping the whole ipod line on the next update and just releasing a small portable ipod (taking the place of the ipod shuffle and ipod nano) and a larger more storage based iPod with app functionality (taking the place of the ipod classic and ipod touch).

I honestly believe that this where Apple is headed. It makes perfect sense to merge the two micro pods into one entry level device, especially as the tech costs keep dropping.

This is in fact what I did, have a shuffle and a 5th g Nano at the same time.
Just not really fond of the tiny 6th g screen.

iEvolution
Sep 15, 2012, 08:04 AM
I would be excited for it if there was finally a capacity update (even if it were something weird like 24gb), we're still stuck in 2008.

Dont like the faded colors either, only two that look decent is silver and black.

I think they would look better with a black front instead of white, the white just looks off with this years colors.

Only positive is that the battery life is FINALLY improved, but I bet blue tooth sucks the battery dry quickly.

hellothere231
Sep 15, 2012, 09:06 AM
Probably not gonna get it. It looks a lot like an ipod touch. I have a ipod touch, so i don't need this. Looks like it's straight out of a concept video on youtube though. :D But why dosen't the ipod nano 7g have a camera? The ipod nano 5g had one (i think). So why not put it on the ipod nano 7g?

Dark Void
Sep 15, 2012, 09:11 AM
I've been trimming down my library. But I would still love one of these in a 64 GB flavor to replace my 120 GB iPod classic. The software is really painful to use after having the touch interface.

It's not so bad, click-wheel is nice.

LostSoul80
Sep 15, 2012, 11:36 AM
- Where is the camera?
- Where are the 32GB?
- The only acceptable colors are graphite and silver, but dual tone is still ugly, maybe OK in silver.

I don't get the point of having yet another camera. Isn't your smartphone/tablet/camera/dSLR enough? Why would I want a camera, a crappy quality one because of the size of the player, in my music player? Because yes, it's a music player.

I'm pretty happy with 16 GB for everyday use, and consider I have a lossless library. Thing is, I don't usually listen to 1000s of songs everytime.

As for the color, that's really subjective. I still haven't chosen one. :)

cube
Sep 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
I don't get the point of having yet another camera. Isn't your smartphone/tablet/camera/dSLR enough? Why would I want a camera, a crappy quality one because of the size of the player, in my music player? Because yes, it's a music player.

I'm pretty happy with 16 GB for everyday use, and consider I have a lossless library. Thing is, I don't usually listen to 1000s of songs everytime.

As for the color, that's really subjective. I still haven't chosen one. :)

I have a 16GB 5th gen which has a camera, so the new one is a downgrade.

I would have bought the reduced functionality 6th gen if it had been a storage upgrade, as 16GB is not enough.

If you look around a bit, you will find many people saying the white+pastel iPods are horrible.

Berek
Sep 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
By removing the belt clip they removed the best part about the nano. I don't want an arm band and I dont want a belt or case to put it in while I'm running or working out. Get a last gen nano while you can.

LostSoul80
Sep 15, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have a 16GB 5th gen which has a camera, so the new one is a downgrade.

I would have bought the reduced functionality 6th gen if it had been a storage upgrade, as 16GB is not enough.

If you look around a bit, you will find many people saying the white+pastel iPods are horrible.

Of course, if the only factor you consider is the camera, then sure, the new Nano is a downgrade. But apparently you're missing the multitouch screen (which I think is going to deliver a great performance in browsing songs) and bluetooth capability, along with new colors.
As for the color, why should I care about what some people think? It doesn't affect my personal taste at all. I like the new colors.

cube
Sep 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
Of course, if the only factor you consider is the camera, then sure, the new Nano is a downgrade. But apparently you're missing the multitouch screen (which I think is going to deliver a great performance in browsing songs) and bluetooth capability, along with new colors.
As for the color, why should I care about what some people think? It doesn't affect my personal taste at all. I like the new colors.

I don't care about the bigger multitouch screen.

The point about the colour is that you said it is 'subjective', but many people agree on this, although you may not. If many people don't like it, it is objectively a FAIL, as the point is to sell as many as possible.

Previous generations enticed you to collect all colours. And some people will find silver and black boring, so they will get nothing.

LostSoul80
Sep 15, 2012, 02:10 PM
The point about the colour is that you said it is 'subjective', but many people agree on this, although you may not. If many people don't like it, it is objectively a FAIL, as the point is to sell as many as possible.

Can you specify what you mean by saying "many people"? Have you conducted a study, written a paper or a research on the matter? If so, how come you have done it before the product has even been released? :confused:

Also, I stated it is subjective in that everyone is free to like a colour over the others.

cube
Sep 15, 2012, 02:13 PM
Can you specify what you mean by saying "many people"? Have you conducted a study, written a paper or a research on the matter? If so, how come you have done it before the product has even been released? :confused:

Also, I stated it is subjective in that everyone is free to like a colour over the others.

Just look on twitter how many people are calling the new iPods "ugly", "horrible", "disgusting", "fail".

adildacoolset
Sep 15, 2012, 04:07 PM
Steve would have never allowed this.

And what if he did???

ftaok
Sep 15, 2012, 04:24 PM
Just look on twitter how many people are calling the new iPods "ugly", "horrible", "disgusting", "fail".

And how many of these people on Twitter have actually seen a 7G nano in person?

My typical reaction to Apple products shown at a Keynote or Special Event is "meh". But then I see the products in person and my opinion changes. I remember having negative reactions to the 3G and 6G nanos, but then I saw them in person and I changed my opinion 180deg.

KeepCalmPeople
Sep 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
It seems almost everybody thinks the new nano is missing one feature that would make it perfect:
For some it's wi-fi and wireless music downloads from iCloud.
For some it's a bigger capacity.
For some it's a camera.
For some it's the clip from the 6th gen.
For me it's GPS, instead of the crappy and highly inaccurate Nike+ setup.

I think if had all those features it would be essentially a smaller iPod touch but without the ability to install apps.
Sure would be a fantastic workout and running device though.

6GenNANO
Sep 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
By removing the belt clip they removed the best part about the nano. I don't want an arm band and I dont want a belt or case to put it in while I'm running or working out. Get a last gen nano while you can.

I agree 1,000,000%

My dream nano would be 6gen form factor with clip, sweat resistant, bluetooth, and with GPS.

However, I have the feeling that Apple is going to release a sport watch with all 6 gen features + bluetooth down the road, and that's why they killed the 6g nano and nano watches now.

Ariii
Sep 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
I love how this Nano looks. Once they introduce a camera again, it will be perfect. But this UI is ugly, it would be so much nicer to have one that's less like iOS, and it makes no sense that there's no choice of wallpaper. Somebody should make something like RockBox, since it clearly is capable of doing more than Apple's letting it do. It looks so much better without the clip IMO.

seong
Sep 15, 2012, 09:39 PM
Every thing is great on the new iPod nano. But..... I WANT MY IWATCH! :(
It would have been great if Tim popped out of nowhere, saying "But.. there is one more thing...,' *looks at his watch* *tap and hold for two seconds* "Siri, remind me to buy bread at the grocery store.' That could have been SICK!

Regardless of my fantasy, yes, the new nano is great. :cool:

mpetrides
Sep 15, 2012, 09:42 PM
Personally I'm delighted that they brought back the mint green color that was first introduced in the square nano. Bluetooth is the ne thing my earlier nanos lacked that I really have a need for--I listen to audio books while hiking.

The last gen nano was great to use as a watch--until it went belly up from the bumps and bruises sustained while wearing it. I literally went through 3 in two years (two purchased, one a warranty replacement), whereas older nanos have lasted years.

cube
Sep 16, 2012, 05:27 AM
And how many of these people on Twitter have actually seen a 7G nano in person?

My typical reaction to Apple products shown at a Keynote or Special Event is "meh". But then I see the products in person and my opinion changes. I remember having negative reactions to the 3G and 6G nanos, but then I saw them in person and I changed my opinion 180deg.

You don't need to see these in person to recognise them as Japanese Miami Vice Baby Woman Sneaker iPods.

ftaok
Sep 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
You don't need to see these in person to recognise them as Japanese Miami Vice Baby Woman Sneaker iPods.

What the heck does that even mean? Anyways, I'll wait until I see them in person to pass judgement. Doesn't matter anyways, I'm probably not buying one ... perhaps I'll stock up on reduced price 6G's.

notjustjay
Sep 17, 2012, 11:24 AM
It seems almost everybody thinks the new nano is missing one feature that would make it perfect:

And I think you'll find that from a business and marketing standpoint, this is exactly what they were planning to achieve.

wacomme
Sep 17, 2012, 01:10 PM

That's what I did. I bought the last gen nano for my wife. Too bad, since I waited to see the new nano. My wife wants to use the nano at the gym. The new one lacks a clip and is too big. I like the bluetooth, but oh well. It's a music player. If I wanted the other stuff I'd be looking at the Touch.

----------

I agree 1,000,000%

My dream nano would be 6gen form factor with clip, sweat resistant, bluetooth, and with GPS.

Yes. That would be wonderful.

Davy.Shalom
Sep 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
And I think you'll find that from a business and marketing standpoint, this is exactly what they were planning to achieve.

Exactly. Then they can release the 8th gen nano with "so many new and innovative features." Apple wouldn't release a nano with everything you want, because then you wouldn't buy the next one.

yly3
Sep 20, 2012, 04:19 AM

Agreed. I actually thought it was some AllView cheap 13$ mp3 player the first time I saw it.

decafjava
Sep 20, 2012, 07:54 AM

Well I like it-might actually get it.

Blackberryroid
Sep 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
I still prefer the 5th Generation. It is the best.

tigress666
Sep 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
Personally I'm delighted that they brought back the mint green color that was first introduced in the square nano. Bluetooth is the ne thing my earlier nanos lacked that I really have a need for--I listen to audio books while hiking.

The last gen nano was great to use as a watch--until it went belly up from the bumps and bruises sustained while wearing it. I literally went through 3 in two years (two purchased, one a warranty replacement), whereas older nanos have lasted years.

Funny mine has lasted two years and it has been pulled off my jeans a few times and dragged (overenthusiastic dog.. it has the scratches from the first time to prove it). Or dropped or even flung. It seems to have weathered all of that fine.

coachingguy
Sep 20, 2012, 06:26 PM
Wow, I'm shocked how many people here loved the square nano. I hated it! I'm still using the 1st nano and 5th... What was the point of square screen that was so small you couldn't really see anything on it. I agree, I thought the watch idea was neat... But I never met anyone who wore it as a watch.

This harkens back to the original idea behind the Nano in the 1st place. I predict it will sell big time. Small, useable screen, good battery life, nice options, good storage.

"...My oh my, where oh where will I clip it?" Really?

Coachingguy

ManicMarc
Sep 21, 2012, 06:26 AM
I don't see a point in the Nano (other than for small kids too young for an iPod Touch/iPhone). Runners / Gym users have the shuffle, everyone else has the iPod Touch. It doesn't even support iTunes Match (no WiFi).

Pointless. The Classic at least has massive capacity (great for keeping in the car).

Sorry Nano.

rapaleeman
Sep 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
I don't see a point in the Nano (other than for small kids too young for an iPod Touch/iPhone). Runners / Gym users have the shuffle, everyone else has the iPod Touch. It doesn't even support iTunes Match (no WiFi).

Pointless. The Classic at least has massive capacity (great for keeping in the car).

Sorry Nano.

That's kind of my thoughts too.

I'm curious as to who this device was designed for. What was their target market?

The older Nanos really existed due to the high price of the standard iPods and their hard drive based storage along with emerging technology of MP3 players as a market segment. Now that MP3 players, even the iPod Touches, aren't really that expensive in the scheme of things, and that MP3 players are a dime a dozen now, who really needs one of these.

Sure a few people are on board to update older devices but what is this devices true purpose? There are so many other devices that fill the role of MP3 player better and those that want an iPhone style device have the iTouch which his also a small and great music playing device (meaning it is an MP3 player). Then there is the iPad which is also a music player as well.

It seems to me that Apple just didn't want to kill this line like they essentially have done with the Classic since it would take another several skus off their product line. In reality though, it seems like this device just exists to take up shelf space.

Say what you want about the Nano 6G being a bastardization of the 5G iPod Nano, but at least it had a reason for existing in the market place. That clip along with the storage size and the prices were a great value to a lot of people. This device not so much.

Cloysterpeteuk
Sep 22, 2012, 06:21 AM
This will be my first Nano purchase since the 1st gen model, I just want a small light mp3 player that looks good and that I don't even feel in my pocket.q

This model with lovely screen for albumn art, Bluetooth for speakers when at home, new earphones and more importantly great battery life means this model is perfect for me.

iPod touch would be a pointless purchase for me, loads more expensive and I already have an iPhone and iPad which can do all the same things. Whereas the Nano will be used in situations where I don't want a bigger iPhone with me - out for a run or I want to chill out to some tunes when walking the dog and not be disturbed by incoming texts, calls, notificications etc.

Younger bro is buying one also, his old touch just broke and he wants one of these as he never bothered with apps on the touch, just used it solely for music.

karlwig
Sep 23, 2012, 12:11 PM
They should have put antennas and a micro-sim tray in it and called it the iPhone nano.

I would actually buy that -- great for days when you want a lighter phone to take with you.

macnerd93
Sep 23, 2012, 01:01 PM
seems like Apple are neglecting one of the very things what saved them. Please god don't neglect the Mac thats all I ask. :D

Qgirl
Sep 24, 2012, 12:32 AM
Runners / Gym users have the shuffle, everyone else has the iPod Touch.

People keep saying that, but though the Shuffle is certainly super convenient at the gym, it's also TINY (I'm talking capacity, not physical size). You have to be constantly changing your playlists on it, because pretty quickly you can't add anything new. And you can not reasonably use it for audiobooks or even podcasts. Having something like the 16 gb Nano that you can clip to your clothes like a Shuffle but it holds all your stuff ... priceless. This new one will have to go in a pocket. I don't always have pockets.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
I doubt Nike would be working on an integrated Nike+ receiver/Bluetooth transmitter.

Why not? That's the way most of their stuff seems to work now. I don't think that will be too far off...

ftaok
Sep 24, 2012, 09:18 AM
Why not? That's the way most of their stuff seems to work now. I don't think that will be too far off...

I was referring to Nike making a new transmitter that includes BT and the Nike+ protocols with a 30-pin connector. This would be for the nano6G (and older devices).

Since the 30-pin connector is effectively discontinued, I doubt Nike would be working on any hardware that uses 30-pin.

Anyway, I don't think Nike would be making any more stand-alone transmitters as all of the new devices have BT built-in, so they would likely allow for the hardware guys to use the Nike+ protocol (which uses the same frequencies as BT). This would be like how the iPod touch and iPhone can access the Nike+ footpod.

PinkyMacGodess
Sep 24, 2012, 09:26 AM
So far I think that the best iPod for runners and gym animals was the stick 3G Shuffle. No display, simple, just a switch and a hole for the headphones. For skiing, the display didn't freeze, for outdoor stuff, I clip it to my hat for mowing and other general maintenance. Then they went back to the brick with buttons. Downgrade...

I loved the original squarish 3G Nano too. I have three around here somewhere. They worked with the Nike+ and were small enough, although they needed a clip very badly. My original clip case for them broke and I haven't been able to find a replacement. Not a fan of the 6G Nano.

----------

I was referring to Nike making a new transmitter that includes BT and the Nike+ protocols with a 30-pin connector. This would be for the nano6G (and older devices).

Since the 30-pin connector is effectively discontinued, I doubt Nike would be working on any hardware that uses 30-pin.

Anyway, I don't think Nike would be making any more stand-alone transmitters as all of the new devices have BT built-in, so they would likely allow for the hardware guys to use the Nike+ protocol (which uses the same frequencies as BT). This would be like how the iPod touch and iPhone can access the Nike+ footpod.

Sorry I misunderstood... I would think that the older dock is a done deal at this point. Is the pod Bluetooth? I wasn't aware and assumed it was something else, although it would make sense if it were. The chest strap isn't Bluetooth though because Polar has their own frequency range they work with.

I'm still pissed Nike+ dropped their wrist controller. That was so cool product. It made it so easy to control the iPod playback... But technology marches on I guess... :(

Braniff747SP
Oct 10, 2012, 10:52 PM
Its nice, but I like the sixth generation more for my uses. I clip it on to my sleeping bag when I go camping... The battery life is fantastic; when I'm at long-term camps, it gets through without recharging without a problem.

This new one just seems to big for that use. Also, I'm curious--how does that bigger display impact battery life?

RyanG
Oct 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
Its nice, but I like the sixth generation more for my uses. I clip it on to my sleeping bag when I go camping... The battery life is fantastic; when I'm at long-term camps, it gets through without recharging without a problem.

This new one just seems to big for that use. Also, I'm curious--how does that bigger display impact battery life?

Did you even read the tech specs for the new nano?

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Music playback time: Up to 30 hours when fully charged
Video playback time: Up to 3.5 hours when fully charged

Braniff747SP
Oct 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
Did you even read the tech specs for the new nano?

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Music playback time: Up to 30 hours when fully charged
Video playback time: Up to 3.5 hours when fully charged

30 hours? That's pretty good. I'll need to check how much the sixth generation's battery life is.

ftaok
Oct 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
Sorry I misunderstood... I would think that the older dock is a done deal at this point. Is the pod Bluetooth? I wasn't aware and assumed it was something else, although it would make sense if it were. The chest strap isn't Bluetooth though because Polar has their own frequency range they work with.

I'm still pissed Nike+ dropped their wrist controller. That was so cool product. It made it so easy to control the iPod playback... But technology marches on I guess... :(
The Nike+ footpod works on the same frequency as Bluetooth, but it's proprietary. iPhones and iPod touches can use the footpod since they have BT reciever and I guess Nike gives them the "codes" to translate the signals.

Anyways, it looks like the 7G nano can utilize the Nike+ footpod. Woohoo! It can also send signals to a BT headphone and receive signals to a BT HR strap while communicating with the footpod. This is huge, but a part of me wishes they added these features to the 6G nano form factor.

jacoder
Oct 12, 2012, 11:47 PM
Yeap, it is great!!! :D

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8194/8081730932_d70eab61af.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081730932/)
iPod Nano (RED) 7th Generation (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081730932/) by Tohru にゃん (http://www.flickr.com/people/tohru/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8196/8081740455_35df779bbc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081740455/)
iPod Nano (RED) 7th Generation (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081740455/) by Tohru にゃん (http://www.flickr.com/people/tohru/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8471/8081739075_39f18aee3f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081739075/)
iPod Nano (RED) 7th Generation (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081739075/) by Tohru にゃん (http://www.flickr.com/people/tohru/), on Flickr

Compare with iPhone 5:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8081737943_72bf3fc8d4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081737943/)
iPod Nano vs iPhone 5 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081737943/) by Tohru にゃん (http://www.flickr.com/people/tohru/), on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8056/8081736473_bb3c4da21b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081736473/)
iPod Nano vs iPhone 5 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tohru/8081736473/) by Tohru にゃん (http://www.flickr.com/people/tohru/), on Flickr

lshaner
Oct 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
No it isn't great.

Please allow me to enumerate the ways that is is a dud:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1467573

batmangorden
Oct 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
Battery life was terrible on the last nano, don't know if it was cause how small the nano was, but yeah, terrible battery life. At times the battery only lasted around 4 hours. And that was lightly turning the screen on to change songs every once and a while.

Anyone gave the new nano's battery a test run?

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
It's interesting that the Touch and the Nano got so close in functionality there for a while, and then drifted apart again... I can't see the Nano really working well for me. I've still got the earlier Nano, and am still getting used to it...

Carlanga
Oct 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Battery life was terrible on the last nano, don't know if it was cause how small the nano was, but yeah, terrible battery life. At times the battery only lasted around 4 hours. And that was lightly turning the screen on to change songs every once and a while.

The 6G nano has given me very good battery life and still does, way more than 4 hours.

Jessica Lares
Oct 13, 2012, 06:20 PM
Found a place to dock it! :D

http://jessicalares.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IMG_20121013_180216.jpg

dba415
Oct 13, 2012, 09:15 PM
Does anyone still buy the shuffle? There are a bunch of cheap MP3 players better and lower priced if you are in the price range.

racoop
Oct 14, 2012, 12:04 AM
Does anyone still buy the shuffle? There are a bunch of cheap MP3 players better and lower priced if you are in the price range.

You're not a runner, are you?

Ivabign
Oct 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
I know it is silly, but I liked that the 5th generation had a speaker - I KNOW it wasn't worth a damn - but I can't tell you how many times I watched Family Guy at a school function when it would have been difficult (appearance-wise) to have sported headphones.

TacticalDesire
Oct 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
For those with large hands and/or long fingers, the 6th gen nano was a pain to use and the 7th gen is a godsend.

Guacamole
Oct 16, 2012, 03:53 PM
The reason I would like to get a nano is for when I want to listen to music on my long journey by bus and I don't want to waste my iPhones battery listening to music because the battery on my iphone doesn't last long and I'd rather save it

LizKat
Oct 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
I'm happy that my 7th gen red nano has shipped!

Even so, I won't be handing my square orange 6th gen nano on to someone else. Love the square look, and the shuffle-like clip, the watch faces and the radio. It's one of my all time favorites, along with the 2nd gen nanos. Hope the 7th gen one ends up in that short list too.

dazz87
Oct 17, 2012, 05:43 PM

Well just got the new nano today from amazon. Charged it for about 2 hrs before using it. Cant really tell for sure if its full charge. But battery life sucks..... Got about 2 hrs so far and it looks like I have about 50% left. connect to my ClarityHD bluetooth speaker for the past 2 hrs. Apple stating 30 hrs is bs maybe for headphone, but on bluetooth connection its not great at all.......

musicpenguy
Oct 17, 2012, 06:24 PM
iLounge tested it and found an impressive 9 hours and 30 minutes of Bluetooth streaming and around 35 hours of wired headphones - I'd say give it a full charge first or run it down all the way then charge it up - the battery is good in my personal testing as well.

matt550
Oct 18, 2012, 05:43 AM
I love the nano. The FM radio is awesome, I use it at work almost daily, I use the nano in the car instead of my iPhone.

yly3
Oct 18, 2012, 10:32 AM
No it's not great..nor bad. It's just different, but I prefer the 6th gen.
I can't believe after so many replies, nobody mentioned about audio quality and battery life so far.
According to the Macworld review, the audio quality is almost non-perceptable vs the last year model, something like 10-15% better so maybe not worth it. Battery life seems a bit better, but I really wanted 32GB version so much that I would have even bought it.

Sure, it may have been too small for some, but for a music player, once you get used to it, you cannot go back (at least too easy). I simply do not like the whitel..maybe if it was some black or grey it would have been better looking.

Like somebody said earlier, it feels like they changed it just for the sake of change.

Tsuchiya
Oct 18, 2012, 12:05 PM
Edit: perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh. If you need an iPod for the gym or something then it isn't a bad option. Otherwise it's a tad underwhelming, especially when you consider the price (a Kindle Fire costs the same amount and a 4th generation iPod Touch with loads more functionality costs only another 10-20.

Bluetooth is fine, but WiFi would have been even better for Airplay/streaming purposes. It feels like a stop-gap product between the 6th gen and whatever Apple comes up with next time.

sno1man
Oct 18, 2012, 04:39 PM
Edit: perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh. If you need an iPod for the gym or something then it isn't a bad option. Otherwise it's a tad underwhelming, especially when you consider the price (a Kindle Fire costs the same amount and a 4th generation iPod Touch with loads more functionality costs only another 10-20.

I think I'd feel a bit awkward (and look a bit like Flava-Flav) if i went running with kindle fire strapped to chest.....

Really the touch is a more valid comparison, the nano is a small music player primarily with usable but not great video in a pinch

Tsuchiya
Oct 18, 2012, 05:37 PM
I think I'd feel a bit awkward (and look a bit like Flava-Flav) if i went running with kindle fire strapped to chest.....

Really the touch is a more valid comparison, the nano is a small music player primarily with usable but not great video in a pinch

When you say it like that...:p

Sorry, I should have explained my reasoning in my post. I was considering the nano strictly from a value for money angle. As small portable music players go, it does the job (though again WiFi would've been great...), but for 129 it's a little lacking.

I brought my little sister the new nano for her birthday yesterday. She's delighted with it, but I can't help but think that there are better options in that price range. An iPod touch which is much more capable or even the Kindle fire.

For the record, I asked her today if she wanted an iPod touch instead, but she was positive that she is happy with the nano. *shrug*

sno1man
Oct 18, 2012, 05:46 PM
When you say it like that...:p

I'm glad you got the humor as it was intended. :o

I'm conflicted: I ordered a touch sight unseen and when it arrived it was all scuffed out of the box. I went to exchange it and neither Apple store near me had any touch's to swap so i got my money back.

In the interim, the rumors of the iPad mini started to get real. I'm thinking now about a nano for running and perhaps a mini for the stuff I would have used the touch for (apps, games, ereader)

Jessica Lares
Oct 18, 2012, 08:15 PM
I carry around a Kindle Fire all the time, love it. However, it's not enough space for my music. The problem with these tablets, smartphones, and iPod Touch is the app ecosystem. The apps take too much space. So while the Nano costs less and does less, it takes care of the problem of not having the space for music, podcasts, and iTunes U content - ESPECIALLY the iTunes U content as most of it takes 1GB per file! :eek:

dazz87
Oct 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
iLounge tested it and found an impressive 9 hours and 30 minutes of Bluetooth streaming and around 35 hours of wired headphones - I'd say give it a full charge first or run it down all the way then charge it up - the battery is good in my personal testing as well.

Yeah on my 2nd day I was getting about 7-9 hrs on bluetooth. Just wondering for all you new nano owner, how do you know when the nano is at 100% charge? On the battery icon it looks the same if you just plugged it in for 10 mins vs plugged in fr 4 hours. :confused:

Jessica Lares
Oct 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
Just wondering for all you new nano owner, how do you know when the nano is at 100% charge? On the battery icon it looks the same if you just plugged it in for 10 mins vs plugged in fr 4 hours. :confused:

It'll change from a lightning bolt to a plug on the icon.

darknessangel
Oct 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
I really wanted to buy the 7th gen today but the Nike+ functionality is severely crippled for me. I use a watch remote which now only works inside the app and then the powersong and feedback don't work. Also the connection was rather intermittent. I would really recommend more the 6th gen.

7th gen looks and feels sexy ... but is a real dud.

dazz87
Oct 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
It'll change from a lightning bolt to a plug on the icon.

thanks.:)

iLLUMI
Oct 22, 2012, 05:54 AM
Just had a look at them today, hands on at the Apple store, and they look so much nicer in real life than in all the photos etc.
All colors actually look great, even with the white front.
I wasnt planning on buying one however they are just so cool. :cool:
There have been reviews saying that the display isnt as good as the other ipods however I was impressed by the quality of the demo videos.

I think the handful of CONS that people keep pointing out are outweighed by the PROS.
I'll be getting one for sure!!

If anything, the 7th gen Nano makes a great carPod.
The 6th gen Nano makes a great gymPod.
:)

mcdj
Oct 23, 2012, 12:17 AM
To me, the 6th generation Nano was a nearly perfect a distillation of everything Apple has ever produced from a design and UI perspective. When I think of products that embody all that is Apple, the 6th gen Nano is up there with the aluminum Mac Mini, the unibody MacBook, the iPhone 4S and 5, and the iPad 3.

iLLUMI
Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
Just watched a review on YouTube where the guy reversed the colours of the buttons/icons ( changed to the negative ) by double clicking the home button. I have to say that the reversed colours look so much nicer. :cool:

Dark Void
Oct 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
Just returned mine after using it for a few days. Not to be that guy in the thread, just want to list some things I found with it to possibly help any other users out.

The battery life was quite bad. Perhaps my expectations were high coming from an iPod Classic but I was seeing around a 50% capacity loss after only a couple of hours of usage. If you use the any of the menu features (i.e. if you don't just let it play audio song after song without any interjection) then the battery life takes a huge hit over time.

Touch screen is overly sensitive in my opinion. I have never owned an Apple touchscreen product prior to this so if you are in the same boat then be cautious. The screen is small for a touchscreen to begin with, and if an eyelash falls on it you'll end up changing the song, fast-forwarding through the next, and open up the Radio application at the same time.

Although it's evident prior to purchase (as are some points above such as the small form factor of the device) the placement of the headphone port really sinks in after owning it. It's just weird to have it on the bottom, and it's quite annoying really.

It looks like a great product and for some it probably is but personally I would recommend just getting a 4th generation 16GB iPod Touch for $199 instead of the new iPod Nano. It's not worth the $149 in my opinion. Sorry if this is a harsh write-up, not trying to bash the product, just be cautious and hopefully some information can be gathered from this post in order to avoid a return like I have to now go through.

Good luck everyone.

milo
Oct 25, 2012, 04:49 PM
Got one a couple weeks ago and it vastly exceeded my expectations. Screen and interface look great, it's tiny and the build quality feels as high as any other apple product I've used. I'm even impressed by the new lightning connector. I can see why some would want the clip, but I don't miss it at all.

Definitely a product that needs to be experienced in person and actually used, a lot of doubters are going to change their minds.

Ffosse
Nov 5, 2012, 10:27 AM
I love mine - it's the first player I've had that can be used without even turning the screen on - just by using the buttons on the side, playlists/folders can be browsed and selected.. or I can just use the buttons on my iems.

Of course, if I ever decide to turn the screen on it has full touchscreen controls also.

Scott66
Nov 5, 2012, 02:55 PM

I liked being able to play video and record video on the 5th gen. Also having the speaker let you listen to voice without headphones. It is my favorite of the nanos

kockgunner
Nov 6, 2012, 12:24 PM
On my silver iPod nano there is interlacing on the edge of the screen that look like the teeth of a comb. I have the same issue with my iPhone 5 and I'm really disappointed. Usually Apple's screens are really good and never disappointed me but this year they seem to be using another manufacturer.

Also, the iPod nano seems a bit slow. There was once where it showed the Apple logo after quitting from settings. It's like the whole device had to restart. Also, waking the device especially with the home button is really slow sometimes.

Grinspoon
Nov 9, 2012, 09:11 PM
I don't like my new Nano.

I could get into the lack of apps, lack of wifi. Bad UI, lack of customization for UI.

However end of the day, I think it's just awkward. I didn't like the last generation nano at first. However I ended up really enjoying it. This has actually gotten worse the more i've used it.

This one is even worse for accidentally changing tracks, and doing all sorts of things you didn't intend. I still can't figure out while changing the volume sometimes changes tracks. It sometimes goes to random tracks. And yes shake to shuffle is off.

Plugging it into docks, now sometimes you have to manually switch it back to ear phones?

Even the touch screen can be crap. The amount of times i go to swipe the cover away and it moves across and snaps back.

The control buttons on the side are awful and tiny.

There's just something off about the whole layout and design.

Mak47
Nov 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
I picked one up after I bumped into the display at Best Buy. I'd been wanting to try out the Earpods and needed another lightning cable for my iPad mini, but had also been considering a nano or shuffle for when I work out. I've been using my iPhone, but it's a bit heavy for the pockets of gym shorts. Plus, using it there is just an invitation to break it.

Anyhow, I did the math, figuring I'd be spending $50 on the Earpods and cable, it wasn't a dumb idea to just get it all with the nano.

I really like it. There's nothing cheap about it. Anodized aluminum case that matches the iPhone 5, iPod touch and ipad mini, glass display that should be scratch resistant and it weighs nothing.

It should be noted that it looks much bigger in pictures than it really is. The old one would've been great for a smart watch kind of thing, but I can't imagine navigating it while walking my dog. This one can be operated comfortably with one hand while my other is busy holding a leash.

iLLUMI
Dec 2, 2012, 11:06 PM
For anyone in Australia looking at getting one, Office Works have them for $149. That's $20 cheaper than the RRP.
Not sure how long this will last.
:cool:

Alex225
Dec 3, 2012, 05:24 AM
My first iPod was a 6th gen Nano and I loved it, great capacity and a perfect size for a shirt pocket on a commute to work.

Sadly the power/track skip button on the top has given up on me and only just allows you to turn the thing on so it's be relegated to sitting on the the doc in the kitchen.

I have the new Nano on the way and I'm really looking forward to it. I find the iphone 4 and 5 just too bulky and even the new Nano is plenty slim enough for a shirt or trouser pocket. The lack of clip isn't much of an issue as I never clipped the old one to anything, although have my Shuffle for that.

I'm rather a fan of the new one but if my 6th hadn't played up I wouldn't be itching to replace it with the 7th.

samanthas
Dec 3, 2012, 07:16 PM
On my silver iPod nano there is interlacing on the edge of the screen that look like the teeth of a comb. I have the same issue with my iPhone 5 and I'm really disappointed. Usually Apple's screens are really good and never disappointed me but this year they seem to be using another manufacturer.

Also, the iPod nano seems a bit slow. There was once where it showed the Apple logo after quitting from settings. It's like the whole device had to restart. Also, waking the device especially with the home button is really slow sometimes.

I have horizontal lines that seem to fade in and out. None of the stores around here have them on display and so it's hard to tell if this is just the screen or an issue.

braddick
Dec 6, 2012, 06:52 AM
I do wish I could listen to the radio feature without headphones, but instead through a bluetooth, such as a Jawbone.

Jessica Lares
Dec 6, 2012, 07:54 AM
I do wish I could listen to the radio feature without headphones, but instead through a bluetooth, such as a Jawbone.

My theory is that it's due to the battery life. Bluetooth takes a good chunk, and then the radio takes even a lot more (huge difference when you just listen to music on the iPod, versus a radio station on the radio app). They don't make a good pair. I use the radio feature a lot, but my battery doesn't last very long because of it.

76ShovelHead
Dec 6, 2012, 08:29 AM
My first iPod was a 6th gen Nano and I loved it, great capacity and a perfect size for a shirt pocket on a commute to work.

Sadly the power/track skip button on the top has given up on me and only just allows you to turn the thing on so it's be relegated to sitting on the the doc in the kitchen.

I have the new Nano on the way and I'm really looking forward to it. I find the iphone 4 and 5 just too bulky and even the new Nano is plenty slim enough for a shirt or trouser pocket. The lack of clip isn't much of an issue as I never clipped the old one to anything, although have my Shuffle for that.

I'm rather a fan of the new one but if my 6th hadn't played up I wouldn't be itching to replace it with the 7th.

I talked my mom into getting my sister a pink 6th gen, which arrived yesterday and she loves it. It was especially compelling to buy since she just bought a gym membership. I thought the functionality of the clip would be perfect.

Grinspoon
Dec 6, 2012, 06:33 PM
Some time has passed and I still don't really like this nano at all.

It's just annoying and awkward.

Honestly i figured out that double and triple clicking the middle of the volume changes the track.. However as the controls are so tiny and I'm a adult. You're always accidentally doing it while trying to change the volume.

I also swear it just randomly changes tracks sometime. Yes shake to shuffle is off.

It's still awkward. With the latest itunes update, I think I might be done with ipods. it's now just at a point where they're making things worse.

Alex225
Dec 8, 2012, 11:58 AM
I talked my mom into getting my sister a pink 6th gen, which arrived yesterday and she loves it. It was especially compelling to buy since she just bought a gym membership. I thought the functionality of the clip would be perfect.

I think the clip can be a decider for some people. It's not so much of a necessity for me as I used my Gen 6 and will use the 7 for commuting so top pocket only.

That said I recently bought a new Shuffle and the size of that is impressive, just a great package. It's basic but functional so can imagie that would be ideal for exercising whilst clipped to your person.

Grinspoon
Jan 22, 2013, 09:40 PM
Still really dislike it.

SkyBell
Jan 22, 2013, 11:20 PM

My theory is that it's due to the battery life. Bluetooth takes a good chunk, and then the radio takes even a lot more (huge difference when you just listen to music on the iPod, versus a radio station on the radio app). They don't make a good pair. I use the radio feature a lot, but my battery doesn't last very long because of it.

IIRC, the headphone jack acts as the antenna for the radio, and therefore would have crap reception without a set plugged in. (At least, I'm pretty sure this was true for the previous generation, anyway. Could be wrong about this new one.)

Jessica Lares
Jan 23, 2013, 05:32 AM
IIRC, the headphone jack acts as the antenna for the radio, and therefore would have crap reception without a set plugged in. (At least, I'm pretty sure this was true for the previous generation, anyway. Could be wrong about this new one.)

Probably that too. But as far as I can tell, both the radio feature AND the bluetooth are huge battery drainers on this model. Put them together, and you get a MP3 player that only works for less than a hour on battery.

Drunken Master
Jan 23, 2013, 08:38 AM

Don't your workout shorts and pants have pockets?

Until a few weeks ago I've been jogging with an iPod Nano 3rd gen for the past five years by just putting it in my pocket.

(Tried the armband, didn't like it, felt like I was getting my blood pressure taken at the doctor's office).

macs4nw
Jan 24, 2013, 02:47 AM

Somehow this 4 month old thread got resurrected.
Yes, I also liked the watch-faced (6th gen) Nano better, and was sorry to see they ditched the form factor.
It also might have gained traction as a possible Bluetooth enabled iPhone interface.

racoop
Jan 24, 2013, 03:58 PM
Don't your workout shorts and pants have pockets?

Until a few weeks ago I've been jogging with an iPod Nano 3rd gen for the past five years by just putting it in my pocket.

(Tried the armband, didn't like it, felt like I was getting my blood pressure taken at the doctor's office).

I gotta be securely clipped in. Uuugh! I hate things bouncing around loose anywhere down there when I run. My running shorts only have the little key pocket anyway.

TooLowToZero
Feb 2, 2013, 11:58 AM
Pick up a new Nano from our local supermarket today. Going to say good bye to the CD's in the car! Very impressed with this iPod and to my delight it has audio cross fading.

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Why is audio cross fading not available on my phone?

Prefer to use the iPod, rather than the phone as it save the battery. Wish it was 32gb, so I could fit all my iTunes music on it in one go, but not complaining as it's still a great little unit.

mrsir2009
Feb 2, 2013, 01:57 PM
In my opinion this was the best nano ever.

http://www3.pcmag.com/media/images/246588-apple-ipod-nano-5th-gen-with-video-recorder.jpg?thumb=y

Ffosse
Feb 3, 2013, 09:35 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xDF7P2uPsq4/UPLhlIuEMjI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/RKVxs8lB89M/s640/2013-01-13%252016.09.02.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NFfuAWmeBjk/UKJBteJe5yI/AAAAAAAAASw/ZXkqyx7-zzY/s640/2012-11-13%252012.37.56.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Vo5usvHzExk/UPLgpvBt-OI/AAAAAAAAAWo/lor-rCspfzc/s640/2013-01-13%252016.06.50.jpg

I love mine - it gets more usage outside than either of my 5th Gen. Touches because of its pedometer and FM radio.

AQUADock
Feb 3, 2013, 10:13 AM
Image (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xDF7P2uPsq4/UPLhlIuEMjI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/RKVxs8lB89M/s640/2013-01-13%252016.09.02.jpg)

Image (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NFfuAWmeBjk/UKJBteJe5yI/AAAAAAAAASw/ZXkqyx7-zzY/s640/2012-11-13%252012.37.56.jpg)

Image (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Vo5usvHzExk/UPLgpvBt-OI/AAAAAAAAAWo/lor-rCspfzc/s640/2013-01-13%252016.06.50.jpg)

I love mine - it gets more usage outside than either of my 5th Gen. Touches because of its pedometer and FM radio.

Whats that music app in the last pic?

Ffosse
Feb 3, 2013, 12:33 PM
That is Leech Tunes - free and highly customizable with regard to its look.

http://www.redmondpie.com/leechtunes-for-iphone-and-ipad-offers-an-elegant-gesture-based-music-app-alternative-for-ios/

PinkyMacGodess
Feb 25, 2013, 08:30 AM
The complaint that I have on this iteration of the Nano deals with the Nike+ app.

I wish there was a way to have it ignore the buttons on the side of the Nano while it, and I are running. I've had a problem finding an adequate case for my Nano, and have started using a Nathan belt (http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/runners-paks-music-carriers/runners-paks/shadow-pak) with a mesh pocket to hold it, and sometimes the volume button gets bumped and it interrupts the Nike+ app.

Anyone else found a decent case for this Nano, that works and isn't overly cheap and breakable? A clip would be nice...

Thanks.

iPhoenix
Feb 26, 2013, 07:46 AM
iPod Nano? Gen 6 is nano truly :) Gen 6 is best, it will be perfect if it has an small camera lolololol

pyrex
Feb 27, 2013, 02:48 PM
Too many button presses to get to where you want to on the screen. I would love the opportunity to be able to add artists, playlists, albums, now playing, etc as icons to the home screen as the only button I ever press is music. Followed by pressing another button within the music icon makes a MINIMUM of 5 clicks before choosing a new song. 7 if you have to press power button and return to the homescreen. There has to be a much more efficient way of doing this.

Another thing that takes a while to do is to rate songs, where as on my ipod nano 2nd gen and ipod 2g (nano still running strong, ipod has no battery life left so I use it as a firewire backup OS for mac) I could press the centre wheel a couple times and then scroll to rate, now I have to press the top right list icon when a song is playing and have to rate the song.

And why can't we have a play next feature like in the new iTunes 11?

I don't think this UI would have passed Steve Jobs.

racoop
Feb 27, 2013, 11:30 PM
Anyone else found a decent case for this Nano, that works and isn't overly cheap and breakable? A clip would be nice...
Thanks.

Got a rooCASE that seems pretty nice, along with screen protectors for around $20 from Amazon. Seems pretty well made and has a clip. Not much to say about a 3 gram piece of plastic. I like the 7G Nano. Way to much fuss here over a $150 music player, sheesh.

rjalda100
Mar 16, 2013, 12:28 PM
I love it. Then again, I'm probably just biased because I own one.

Jessica Lares
Mar 16, 2013, 01:16 PM
I'm hoping for a nice big firmware update soon. :D

iEvolution
Mar 16, 2013, 10:56 PM
That is Leech Tunes - free and highly customizable with regard to its look.

http://www.redmondpie.com/leechtunes-for-iphone-and-ipad-offers-an-elegant-gesture-based-music-app-alternative-for-ios/

That's a nice lookin UI, kind of reminds me of the Zune HD interface. Thanks.

CtotheP
Mar 17, 2013, 09:15 AM
Apple needs to get with the times and up the storage on the Nano to 32/64/128 gb standard

Ffosse
Mar 17, 2013, 09:36 AM
The Nano 7G is the one music player I like better than any other I've had - and that includes Cowons, Sonys, Samsungs and Sansas.

It's better than the 6G because of Bluetooth and longer battery life.

Medic311
Mar 18, 2013, 12:26 PM
i prefer the 6th gen nano as i can clip it to clothing while at the gym. that way i don't need the Shuffle which is a PITA without a screen IMO.

if you've noticed, all apple does is flip flop on the design...going from thin and long to more square-like to keep things fresh and new. they take away features, then re-add them and call them new features. they've been doing this for over half a decade. don't be surprised if the 8th gen Nano resembles the 6th gen, and the 9th gen resembles the 7th gen

TooLowToZero
Mar 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
I have had my Nano 7 gen for the past month and love it. It fits in my jeans (right hand) pocket insert. It stays in there most of the day. Just wish it was 32gb to fit my entire library! I use the nano to save my iPhone 5 battery. I also use it to play via Bluetooth into a small speaker at work. No regrets.

Ffosse
Mar 19, 2013, 05:22 AM
i prefer the 6th gen nano as i can clip it to clothing while at the gym. that way i don't need the Shuffle which is a PITA without a screen IMO.

if you've noticed, all apple does is flip flop on the design...going from thin and long to more square-like to keep things fresh and new. they take away features, then re-add them and call them new features. they've been doing this for over half a decade. don't be surprised if the 8th gen Nano resembles the 6th gen, and the 9th gen resembles the 7th gen

All Apple did was add a 2.5" touchscreen, Bluetooth 4, a bigger battery, enhanced Nike+ support.

It's a vast improvement on the 6G.

Medic311
Mar 19, 2013, 08:31 AM
All Apple did was add a 2.5" touchscreen, Bluetooth 4, a bigger battery, enhanced Nike+ support.

It's a vast improvement on the 6G.

ahh let's see where do i start. everything you just said are features, not design. and you think a diagonal 2.5" screen is really that great? the 5th gen Nano had a 2.22" screen. guess what - they're both pointless for watching videos which is why they are shaped that way. then they stripped away that feature in favor of a small square clip on design, now they're back to the elongated rectangular design.

i was talking about design. go to Wikipedia and look up the iPod Nano and see what Apple does with the design generations. it's pure genius. basically marketing 101

look man, i didn't mean to strike a nerve with you. i like the 6th as it suits my needs better. my parents prefer the 7th gen nano b/c it has a bigger screen. but my point is that you don't need the newest nano to have the big screen - Apple had it before but they keep going back and forth to create the "all new design" marketing spin

ihuman:D
Mar 19, 2013, 02:01 PM
In my opinion this was the best nano ever.

Image (http://www3.pcmag.com/media/images/246588-apple-ipod-nano-5th-gen-with-video-recorder.jpg?thumb=y)

I have one of those, the same colour and all! There's two generations that look like that, I think, one with a camera and one without, I have the one with the camera.

Medic311
Mar 19, 2013, 06:00 PM
in my opinion this was the best nano ever.

image (http://www3.pcmag.com/media/images/246588-apple-ipod-nano-5th-gen-with-video-recorder.jpg?thumb=y)

^ that

Ffosse
Mar 20, 2013, 05:48 AM
ahh let's see where do i start. everything you just said are features, not design. and you think a diagonal 2.5" screen is really that great? the 5th gen Nano had a 2.22" screen. guess what - they're both pointless for watching videos which is why they are shaped that way. then they stripped away that feature in favor of a small square clip on design, now they're back to the elongated rectangular design.

i was talking about design. go to Wikipedia and look up the iPod Nano and see what Apple does with the design generations. it's pure genius. basically marketing 101

look man, i didn't mean to strike a nerve with you. i like the 6th as it suits my needs better. my parents prefer the 7th gen nano b/c it has a bigger screen. but my point is that you don't need the newest nano to have the big screen - Apple had it before but they keep going back and forth to create the "all new design" marketing spin

I had the 6, and while I liked it, the screen was too small for scrolling playlists and songs plus the battery wasn't very good - the 7G screen is much better in that regard, plus with the player in my pocket I can now browse playlists etc. using the buttons on the side.

Design or not, the 7G is a huge improvement over the 6G - it's basically a far more advanced player.