PDA

View Full Version : no more iTunes for you

crewkid89
Sep 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
Looks like we finally lost iTunes. New version requires 10.6.8 or higher

Jessica Lares
Sep 13, 2012, 08:41 AM
Meh. If you're into classic Macs, you're probably into classic iPods too. Doesn't matter. As long as I can use my USB port for charging, it's fine by me!

orestes1984
Sep 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
:rolleyes: Apple TV3 works, iPhone 5 does not meh... Not even really an issue for my XServe as all it does is store my media... and if I ever get an Apple TV I'll just jailbreak it anyway. As far as I'm concerned my Xserve will go on doing what it does indefinitely until something breaks in it that I can't repair.

eyoungren
Sep 13, 2012, 11:39 AM
I keep all my music on my 5th gen iPod Nano. iTunes 10.6 still works with that. As far as syncing iPhone 5 when I get it, I have two Win7 boxes that will do for now. Planning on getting an MBP next year with our tax refund so since I don't really sync much with the iPhone I already have iTunes 10.7 is not a big deal to me at the moment.

Then too, there's also VPC7 with XP on both my PowerBooks…

AQUADock
Sep 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
Then too, there's also VPC7 with XP on both my PowerBooks…

Is that actually usable, i want to try that just for iTunes but i've heard VPC7 is very slow.

ihuman:D
Sep 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Is that actually usable, i want to try that just for iTunes but i've heard VPC7 is very slow.

It's OK, depends what your using it on.

AQUADock
Sep 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
It's OK, depends what your using it on.

So it be fine for just managing and using iTunes?

Sep 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
So it be fine for just managing and using iTunes?

I'll check tonight or tomorrow.

bobr1952
Sep 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
Not just PowerPC--there are many of us who just never upgraded from 10.5 so I guess we are out of luck too. Sure--we can update if we choose to but I don't plan on it. Just one more reason for me to upgrade my hardware.

eyoungren
Sep 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
Wirelessly posted

VPC7 works fine if you set it up right and turn off all the XP eye candy. As long as you aren't running anything that will require intense processing. I probably would not try playing music, but syncing should work fine.

AQUADock
Sep 14, 2012, 02:09 AM
Wirelessly posted

VPC7 works fine if you set it up right and turn off all the XP eye candy. As long as you aren't running anything that will require intense processing. I probably would not try playing music, but syncing should work fine.

Thanks so i guess i'll give it a try.

skinniezinho
Sep 14, 2012, 07:51 AM
There was this topic (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1438881) wich was +- the same.
In linux some players support ipod sync, can't we have one?The drawback is no iOs update/firmware update.
Even songbird only has an old version port (http://www.the-eleven.com/tlegg/blog/2011/05/24/songbird-osx-ppc-1100a/)

eyoungren
Sep 14, 2012, 08:01 AM
I should mention about VPC7 that normally I close all the apps I have open except VPC. That's on my G4s. The G5 I have at work is more powerful so I can normally have a few apps open and still run VPC.

justperry
Sep 15, 2012, 04:34 AM
VPC is barely usable, so don't even try running iTunes on it.

Sep 15, 2012, 07:04 AM
VPC is barely usable, so don't even try running iTunes on it.

I find it's usable but then again my laptop runs vista.

justperry
Sep 15, 2012, 07:42 AM
I find it's usable but then again my laptop runs vista.

:confused::confused::confused:

I really don't understand what you did here???

Sep 15, 2012, 07:49 AM
:confused::confused::confused:

I really don't understand what you did here???

Windows Vista the worst, slowest, resource-hungry,full of lag and craptastic OS. So I'm used to slowness though VPC7 isn't that slow.

justperry
Sep 15, 2012, 08:32 AM
Windows Vista the worst, slowest, resource-hungry,full of lag and craptastic OS. So I'm used to slowness though VPC7 isn't that slow.

Erm, I always thought Windows Me was the worst one.:eek:

But yeah, vista is crap as well.

eyoungren
Sep 15, 2012, 09:02 AM
WindowsMe always seems to get a bad rap. I bought WinMe when it came out and installed it on a laptop I had. It ran fine and was always stable, unlike Win98 which came preinstalled on the laptop. Did everything I wanted so I never really understood the criticism it received. Maybe it was quite a bit like OSX 10.3 in the sense of being a boring, but stable OS, but I never had any issues with it.

This was years before I converted to Mac.

Tyroler
Oct 5, 2012, 04:42 PM
My G4's are 2003 and 2004,but G5's are much younger and loose out,not to think the first Generation Intel who dont get the new OS.
Well,i don't upgrade right now,as newer Products not by sure best Quality,and support gets cut too early.
Just see iPhone 5,or how quick new Apple Computers fail