PDA

View Full Version : 10.8.2 release?

CosmoPilot
Sep 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
One of the main features I'm looking forward to is the ability to assign my phone number to iMessage.

With iOS6 being released to the masses on Wednesday, I figured 10.8.2 would be released at the same time. However, Apple didn't mention anything about ML or iMessage during yesterdays keynote.

iOS6 provides the unification for non iPhone iOS devices (iTouch, iPad).

Anyone have a guess/rumor on 10.8.2's release to the world so Macs can finally unify as well?

GGJstudios
Sep 13, 2012, 09:29 AM
One of the main features I'm looking forward to is the ability to assign my phone number to iMessage.

With iOS6 being released to the masses on Wednesday, I figured 10.8.2 would be released at the same time. However, Apple didn't mention anything about ML or iMessage during yesterdays keynote.

Anyone have a guess/rumor on 10.8.2's release to the world so Macs can finally unify as well?
OS X updates and iOS updates are unrelated and are released independently of each other.

aarmstrong27
Sep 13, 2012, 09:43 AM

Since they integrate and unify features across devices, the smart money would be on 10.8.2 being released right around the 19th.

I've been using 10.8.2 for a few weeks now and can tell you my user experience with Messages has been perfect. You should enjoy it!

CosmoPilot
Sep 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Since they integrate and unify features across devices, the smart money would be on 10.8.2 being released right around the 19th.

I've been using 10.8.2 for a few weeks now and can tell you my user experience with Messages has been perfect. You should enjoy it!

That's what I was thinking, but there was no mention of it. During the Keynote in July, Scott F. talked about both the Mac and iOS unifying AppleID and phone numbers. I was disappointed ML didn't ship with it ready. Then determine iOS6 was required as well...so I figured the 10.8.2 and iOS6 would be married for a same date release. However, Apple didn't mention it at all.

? Does Apple release GMs for incremental OSX updates? If not, my money is on the 18th or 20th to help relieve pressure on Apple's servers.

Weaselboy
Sep 13, 2012, 10:15 AM
OS X updates and iOS updates are unrelated and are released independently of each other.

That is not true at all. There are frequently OS X updates required to support new iOS features and the releases of both updates often occur close together for just this reason. For example 10.8.2 includes a new feature in Mail that allows passes to be added to the new iOS 6 Passbook app.

GGJstudios
Sep 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
That is not true at all. There are frequently OS X updates required to support new iOS features and the releases of both updates often occur close together for just this reason. For example 10.8.2 includes a new feature in Mail that allows passes to be added to the new iOS 6 Passbook app.
Frequently these relate to a specific app and are not updates to OS X, but to the apps, such as the iTunes 10.7 update that was just released to provide iOS 6 support. If you look at the history, Mac OS X updates are not scheduled to occur in step with iOS updates. They are independent.

Weaselboy
Sep 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
Frequently these relate to a specific app and are not updates to OS X, but to the apps, such as the iTunes 10.7 update that was just released to provide iOS 6 support. If you look at the history, Mac OS X updates are not scheduled to occur in step with iOS updates. They are independent.

OP asked about 10.8.2. Go look at the feature list (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/11/apple-seeds-near-final-os-x-10-8-2-developer-seed-ahead-of-media-event/) of 10.8.2. Like I said it lists features that require iOS6 and vice versa. These are features that are not going to get added in an iTunes or iPhoto update.

From the MR article:

Apple will likely coordinate the release OS X Mountain Lion alongside iOS 6. We will learn more tomorrow at Apple's media event.

Just acknowledge you were mistaken and move along. :)

GreenAsJade
Sep 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
OP asked about 10.8.2. Go look at the feature list (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/11/apple-seeds-near-final-os-x-10-8-2-developer-seed-ahead-of-media-event/) of 10.8.2. Like I said it lists features that require iOS6 and vice versa. These are features that are not going to get added in an iTunes or iPhoto update.

From the MR article:

Yeah - and ... bring on the darn release!! My rMPB is sucking power like nobodies business since I moved to 10.8, it's driving me up the wall!!

BookieBear
Sep 14, 2012, 09:38 AM

From the MR article:

I have never seen GGJStudios wrong about anything, EVER!

Krazy Bill
Sep 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
I have never seen GGJStudios wrong about anything, EVER!He misspelled a word once!

Actually, both Weasel and GGJ are good resources to have around here. :)

GGJstudios
Sep 14, 2012, 11:34 AM
I have never seen GGJStudios wrong about anything, EVER!
Then you haven't read all my posts! :)

digitalove
Sep 15, 2012, 09:24 PM
I think it's a matter of days, looking forward to try it too.

ZipZap
Sep 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
Does or where does Apple list the bugs address by an update release?

kristoffer4
Sep 16, 2012, 12:19 PM
This will be my update from SL ! Can't wait.

iMatt.
Sep 17, 2012, 04:12 PM
Looking forward to Facebook integration :)

lotones
Sep 18, 2012, 02:21 AM
I've been having video (files and streams) and games stutter in fullscreen ever since I updated to Mtn. Lion, and have seen a few posts of others having similar symptoms. Does anyone know if 10.8.2 fixes this?

4rtemidis
Sep 18, 2012, 03:15 AM
So it will be coming tomorrow right?
I mean iOS 6 is coming tomorrow so 10.8.2 has to come out tomorrow...

CosmoPilot
Sep 18, 2012, 04:09 AM
So it will be coming tomorrow right?
I mean iOS 6 is coming tomorrow so 10.8.2 has to come out tomorrow...

I hope so

matrix07
Sep 18, 2012, 05:11 AM
Excited. Hope it fixs a few bug on mine.

K4LK
Sep 18, 2012, 12:31 PM
They should release 10.8.2 today since iOS 6 will be tomorrow. Need to spread out the onslaught :p

Krazy Bill
Sep 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
This will be my update from SL ! Can't wait.Meh. Wake me when 10.9 gets seeded to developers.

By then we'll have a good idea what impressions Win8/Surface is having on the world. :eek:

CosmoPilot
Sep 19, 2012, 02:06 PM

Sorry, but today you're proven wrong. 10.8.2 was the final unification piece to iMessage.

chevalier433
Sep 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
Guys this update is amazing my setup is rocking flying with this update safari, adobe cs6 suite:) and i am not used to do such statements

Dhelsdon
Sep 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
I am a bit confused with game center, when I read the update info I understood that we could link facebook with it so that our facebook friends would show up in there and be able to send them requests from there.

I also don't have the Facebook synced with my contacts like it suggests, maybe I am completely missing this 'single sign on' for Facebook but I've looked through settings and I cannot find a place to enter my login info for facebook to OS X itself..