PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME! Stuck screw on eMac case

MacPig
Sep 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
So I picked up an eMac a few weeks back and I've decided the 40GB HDD is just too pitifully slow, so I tried opening it up. I know these machines are notoriously hard to disassemble but boy this is annoying! Basically, 6 of the 7 main case screws came out fine, but one of them is being an annoying little bugger. He won't budge and I've started to wear away at the socket throught trying! Should it be ok to use a lubricant like WD-40 on it or is there a trick I'm not getting?
ANY help is appreciated, thanks,
Pig

Intell
Sep 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
Are you using a metric hex wrench? That's what will open that right up. If you are using one, you'll bend/break your hex wrench before a stuck eMac screw strips. That's the beauty of hex screws/wrenches.

MacPig
Sep 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
Are you using a metric hex wrench? That's what will open that right up. If you are using one, you'll bend/break your hex wrench before a stuck eMac screw strips. That's the beauty of hex screws/wrenches.

I'm certain it's metric hex, but now I look at the screw, it looks like it has been drilled at before and is now not a regular size anymore (at least not one that I own) It's really got me beat :S

jbarley
Sep 13, 2012, 12:17 PM
This is a long shot but it has worked for me several times.
Take your allen wrench (the proper size), you'll need to grip it with pliers, and heat the end really hot with a propane torch. (I take it to red hot)
Now insert the wrench in the screws socket and hold it tight for a few seconds, repeat this heating-inserting 2 or three times then try releasing the screw.
If it won't move wait until it cools down (contracts) and then try again.
It's been my experience to have better success after this cooling-shrinking process.
What you are trying to do is heat the screw (expand it) then cool (shrink it) and in the process hopefully breaking its grip.
It also helps to have 2 allen wrenches of the correct size as the heating process can damage the temper (hardness) of the wrench.

Good luck...