Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Under iOS 5, one could disable the Auto-Login feature (the panel that slides up from the bottom of the display when connecting to a Wi-Fi network that requires you to log-in, like Starbucks) on a per-network basis (the Auto-Join toggle is still there).

My university requires users of its wifi network to login, but the way in which the auto-login feature determines if the network requires one to be logged in does not work, and instead presents an "access denied" message in the pane, giving me no option to enter my credentials. I am nearly-certain that being able to disable auto-login would resolve it.

Has the option been moved? The issue occurs on both my iPhone 4 and iPad, and I can't find a way to disable it on either.

Kalus

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I haven't been able to find out anything about this, but I'm still looking. Please let me know if you find something.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
Have you tried "forgetting" the network? Maybe your phone tried storing your password which is not allowed on your university's network? That's just a guess.

Kalus

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I'm not sure exactly what's happening in Screensaver's network, but the issue I'm having seems to requires the same solution.

Namely, there's no way, that I can see, to use autofill in the captive portal pane. The Autofill button is there, but it doesn't do anything. In iOS 5, you could diable auto-login, and then the portal page would appear as a regular web page in Safari, rather than a sliding panel. This enables you to store your password information, which subsequently enables auto-complete in the sliding panel.

Because I have to login this way to the wireless network at my office, it would make things a lot easier. It's a rough element to iOS that I was hoping would be ironed out in this release, but seems to have gotten worse.

bryan85

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Once you are connected to the network you should have an option to disable to auto-join for that specific network.

img5302.png

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Just swipe the network connection showing in your Network List and tell your phone to "Forget Connection".

It won't log into it anymore unless you tell it to.

Kalus

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Once you are connected to the network you should have an option to disable to auto-join for that specific network.

Thanks for taking screenshot, and replying. I'm sorry if I was unclear.

Auto-Join what prompts the iPhone to connect to a recognized network.
Auto-Login, the feature that has been removed, automatically enters network credentials, if required.

If you have a device running iOS 5, you can see that there are two toggles instead of one, stacked above each other on that pane. I'm looking for a way to either bring that back, or find out if it's just been relocated.

"Forgetting" just removes any associations between the network and the device.

fd59

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I am in the same boat as Kalus. When my phone connects to the network it tries to auto logon. The problem is that there is an attempt to communicate with an iTunes site which my company blocks with websense. When the connection to the iTunes site cannot be made the wifi connection gets dropped. I just need to be able to disable the auto logon option.

l.developer

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I had the same Problems with my company's Wlan login. We are using a "two-phase" login with an unauthorized certificate. With IOS 6 my iPhoe failed to login.
To get a workaround, I wrote a little App (called Wlan Aid) which simulates the Auto-Login feature. With the App it is possible to register a list of wireless network SSIDs with iOS Captive Network Support, thereby assuming responsibility for authenticating with those networks.
Typically when a user joins a captive network, Captive Network Support provides a web sheet that allows the user to authenticate with the network. Wlan Aid registers the SSID of the captive network, however, the web sheet is suppressed, and the user can complete authentication in Safari. Perhaps this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.