PDA

View Full Version : Still not instant on? (2011 MBA)

docgerrard
Sep 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
When I wake up from sleep, it still takes a few seconds for me to be able to do anything.

I wouldn't care, but I have a friend with a 2011 MBP (don't know exact information) and his computer is instantly usable after sleep.

If it was a problem for everyone, no big deal, i can get over it. But if its just my computer, something is wrong?

Anyone else have this problem?

Mrbobb
Sep 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't care

No, it's bugging u big time :roll eyes:

Posters often post the disclaimer: "Your mileage may vary."

Yeah it's not always instant. Dunn worry about it, until it takes say more than 15 seconds.

docgerrard
Sep 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
No, it's bugging u big time :roll eyes:

... are you an idiot? i clearly said it was bugging me because it works on a friends computer

TheRealDamager
Sep 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
... are you an idiot? i clearly said it was bugging me because it works on a friends computer

This is something that bothers some people, and not others. I haven't seen any magic to making that couple of seconds go any faster, so the end answer to this topic is generally to get used to it.

Simplicated
Sep 13, 2012, 03:32 PM

What is with this attitude?

\-V-/
Sep 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/FvjA2.jpg

docgerrard
Sep 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
What is with this attitude?

did you not see the attitude that user gave to me?

":rolls eyes:" is literally what people think of when they think attitude..

----------

Image (http://i.imgur.com/FvjA2.jpg)

my god this forum is great sometimes until there are garbage posts like this

yes you are right it is my fault that the instant on feature works on some computers but not others

FHayek
Sep 13, 2012, 04:42 PM
To the original poster - you must realize your post asked for it, much like the chap asking what the weight delta would be in two similarly configured MBAs, except one would have a 128GB drive while the other had a 512 SSD.

Perhaps waking your Mac up 13 seconds earlier would keep you on schedule.

iSee
Sep 13, 2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure why people who have nothing to offer on a particular topic feel the need to make obnoxious posts. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll tell you what I've seen:
I have a 2011 11" MBA.
On Lion, it took ~6-7 sec from sleep to become responsive
On ML it greatly improved.
- sometimes it is truely instant-on -- immediately responsive
- sometimes it takes ~2 sec to become responsive. Still a lot faster than with Lion, but not instant.

I haven't been able to figure out why it is sometimes faster to become responsive or slower. My best idea (completely made up in my own head and unverified!) is that there are levels of sleep, some deeper than others, and that maybe the MBA goes into the deeper modes after a period of time asleep or maybe when the battery is lower, or some combination of these. But like I say, I'm just wildly guessing on this part.

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that ML improved things greatly for me so if you're on Lion, you could try going to ML (an all-around good update, IMO, and cheap too, so even if it doesn't fix this issue for you, it's not exactly money wasted).

KPOM
Sep 13, 2012, 05:34 PM
Are you leaving the Air unplugged? If so, note that after 70 minutes it drops down into deep sleep. Even on my 2012 running Mountain Lion (both of which improved the instant on feature), if it drops into deep sleep, it takes about 4-5 seconds before the system is fully responsive.

nexsta
Sep 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
The Air is going to a deep sleep, the Pro not, that's why it takes longer.

EDIT: KPOM was faster