PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is wrong with game developers (or; why don't they use iCloud saves)

Silvereel
Sep 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
Why is it that hardly any game developers bother to use iCloud to backup and sync saves across devices? Not only is this a handy feature for people with more than one device, but without it you are basically totally screwed if you end up having to restore your device, since iTunes/iCloud backup & sync doesn't seem to restore game saves. You'd think it would be a top priority thing for developers, but apparently not...

Ashwood11
Sep 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Contact the developers!

dancj
Sep 13, 2012, 03:13 PM
Why is it that hardly any game developers bother to use iCloud to backup and sync saves across devices? Not only is this a handy feature for people with more than one device, but without it you are basically totally screwed if you end up having to restore your device, since iTunes/iCloud backup & sync doesn't seem to restore game saves. You'd think it would be a top priority thing for developers, but apparently not...
I don't know about iCloud restores, but I've restored existing iPhones and restored to a new iPhone and iPad from iTunes and each time it has restored all of my game saves.

That said I do agree that more games should support iCloud.

Ecofriend
Sep 13, 2012, 08:17 PM

Developers need to jump through extra hoops to get permission from apple to use iCloud servers. The extra coding is also a consideration. Many developers will likely add iCloud functionality in time, but the issues that it can create require patience with the end user. To ensure a quality app, most developers would wait until they are sure it won't cause bugs before deploying.