Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonwnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Ok, I think I may have found an undocumented feature of iOS 6 or some later release. I saw this while researching Pioneer's new WiFi Speakers (A1, A3 & A4). During the promotion video for the product line the actress is seen connecting to an Airplay device from the Music app on an iPad, no big secret there. But it's what she does next that has me scratching my head. The next sequence is of her increasing the volume, and assumingly broadcasting, to MULTIPLE Airplay speakers (three Pioneer speakers)! I've talked to someone who has iOS 6 developer version on their iPhone and they don't have this functionality. Does this look strange to anyone else? See attached pic. You can see the video for yourself on YouTube.

The music player UI doesn't look familiar either, but I do see a Genius mix button in the pic, so likely native app? Notice the multiple checked radio buttons for the different speakers. In the video the individual volume sliders all move when she slides the master volume.

Attachments

• ios 6 multiple speakers.png
    ios 6 multiple speakers.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 534

jasonwnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
You can already do this on iOS 5...:rolleyes:

Can already do what? Stream from iPad to multiple AirPlay devices? Try again, the only way you can do this right now is with iTunes on a Mac/PC or with Airfoil.

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Can already do what? Stream from iPad to multiple AirPlay devices? Try again, the only way you can do this right now is with iTunes on a Mac/PC or with Airfoil.

You can do it with the Remote app on an iPad or iPhone. You cannot do it from any "airplay" button on the iPad or iPhone.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
The holy grail would be to stream iTunes match to multiple speakers around the house without a wifi router or even with a wifi router.

Giving ios streaming capabilities to multiple devices would be seriously awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.