PDA

View Full Version : The PowerPc now entering the hobbiest era?

chibiterasu
Sep 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
With many of our dear friends leaving from supporting the PowerPc Macintosh with the latest version e.g spotify etc. but now with iTunes having left the building is it?? I know you had to love the quirks which came with owning a PowerPc G3, G4 or G5. Before you go there, yes I know the high end PowerMac G5 is still powerful (probably just avoided some hate mail there :) ) But is the PowerPc Macintosh now more than just loving the quirks, is it now a true hobbyist machine?? One that you tinker with like and old car I know it been like this for some but is this the day when it started becoming a true hobbyist machine?? This should be interesting to hear your opinions on this :)

jbarley
Sep 13, 2012, 02:44 PM
Nothing has changed for me, still use my G5 quad for my day to day tasks.
I will admit though, I do not own an iPhone and have no interest in iTunes for my music needs, which are few and mostly classical.

Intell
Sep 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
As of now, PowerPC support from Apple is hanging on by a hair in the form of Airport Utility. Not much, but it's there.

Zotaccian
Sep 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
Well old software can still be used like before and I think that many new apps on the editing side (audio, video) don't provide any new significant features that you absolutely need unless you are really high end professional, as for making music for example, great tracks have been made by using PowerPC machines in the past so why couldn't you use one now?

But it is true that support is dropping and it sometimes becomes troublesome if you are trying to mix old and new devices as well as software. My iBook feels very slow compared to what I usually use so time and habits are slowly making machines which basically could do a lot things obsolete because lots of people do not want to use them because they know something much faster and with decent software support is available at low price.

I personally have this PowerPC iBook for fun, it is not essential by any means and selling it wouldn't hurt.

TSE
Sep 13, 2012, 09:15 PM
Late PowerPCs still write documents with close to modern and somewhat compatible software, still play music, and still browse the web well enough to be used everyday by some people. Until those things change, it is not a hobbiest activity to use a PowerPC computer.

tom vilsack
Sep 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
So are you saying because ppc are no longer itunes supported it make them just a hobby computer? So does this mean my other computer that i use on a daily basis that run various versions of Linux are also hobby computers? ;-)

chibiterasu
Sep 14, 2012, 02:45 AM
So are you saying because ppc are no longer itunes supported it make them just a hobby computer? So does this mean my other computer that i use on a daily basis that run various versions of Linux are also hobby computers? ;-)

Humm not really, its not just about software support from apple although that counts a lot and seems to get worse every day but its everyone from 1st to 3rd party support. If linux works for you then thats what you should use but I have tried it over the years and never really got on with it and for me it was more. of a hobby to try linux.

I personally have this PowerPC iBook for fun, it is not essential by any means and selling it wouldn't hurt.

Yes thats more like I mean, you don't need it but its fun, same here with my iMac G4.

Jessica Lares
Sep 14, 2012, 04:54 AM
Not at all. As I pointed out in the legacy thread, I can use Adobe Creative Suite CS4, I can use Unity, I can use Blender, Bryce, and some of the other 3D apps on both my iMac G4 (well, different versions anyway, but still) and Power Mac G5. It's good for educational reasons. Even better, there are more/cheaper resources available for those versions than current era ones. So it's even better for someone who doesn't want to invest too much into these things.

thorns
Sep 14, 2012, 07:39 AM
Spotify will move away from standalone applications and be browser based, that's what I heard..

Jessica Lares
Sep 14, 2012, 07:55 AM
Spotify will move away from standalone applications and be browser based, that's what I heard..

Yep, so good news for us!

Zeke D
Sep 14, 2012, 08:12 AM
Not at all. As I pointed out in the legacy thread, I can use Adobe Creative Suite CS4, I can use Unity, I can use Blender, Bryce, and some of the other 3D apps on both my iMac G4 (well, different versions anyway, but still) and Power Mac G5. It's good for educational reasons. Even better, there are more/cheaper resources available for those versions than current era ones. So it's even better for someone who doesn't want to invest too much into these things.

I still use CS3 for Dreamweaver and Photoshop. Can you do contact prints in CS4?

Liquinn
Sep 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
I still use CS3 for Dreamweaver and Photoshop. Can you do contact prints in CS4?
Is it possible to install CS5 on a PPC Mac?

I don't think CS4 Photoshop has the HDR feature in. :(

Jessica Lares
Sep 14, 2012, 09:28 AM

I have no clue. I don't use that feature... :o

GermanyChris
Sep 14, 2012, 10:04 AM

I do to..

I have 5.5 for the Intel's and content aware fill is the only thing I miss on CS3.

PowerPCMacMan
Sep 14, 2012, 02:23 PM
CS5/5.5 = Intel only.. sucks, I know :)

Imixmuan
Sep 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
...all PPC mac owners should seriously start looking at Linux PPC solutions. MintPPC and Lubuntu are highest on my list. I find Leopard still plenty usable, but all mozilla browsers are about to hit judgement day with Firefox 18, which means the end of source parity for tenfourfox, aurorafox seamonkey etc.

Camino is still "current" but lets face it, already looking long in the tooth. Leopard webkit and iCab might be usable for awhile yet (Alexander Clausse seems to really care about users of older Mac OS's) but the writing is clearly, inescapably on the wall.

I know his name is mud around these here parts, but zen.state has been reviewing Lubuntu 12.04 on his blog and finds it most agreeable, even on older Powermacs. Lubuntu with Openbox as the window manager on a Powermac G4 450 mhz is like a new modern machine he states.

Linux might be the only way forward for us here in a bit, at least for serious web use.

MAC MAN JW
Sep 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
Spotify will move away from standalone applications and be browser based, that's what I heard..Yep, so good news for us!

As long as its not going to be Adobe Flash based;)

Jessica Lares
Sep 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
...all PPC mac owners should seriously start looking at Linux PPC solutions. MintPPC and Lubuntu are highest on my list.

If I wanted to use Linux, I would have bought an old PC to run it on. For someone that actually is invested into the Mac ecosystem, I don't want to have to find replacements for every app I use either. And honestly, I haven't come across ANY issues using Safari so far, and I load the heaviest of the heaviest websites.

92WardSenatorFE
Sep 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
I don't think a lot is going to change for a while.

Just because Apple is going to drop iTunes support doesn't mean everyone is going to flock and buy new Macs. I mean seriously, I think anyone who was going to upgrade because their "PPC Mac" is out of date would have done it by now.

I still find a lot of schools that still use PPC Mac's for a lot of things. City based school systems in the US have probably started phasing out most of their PPC macs due to support and age/ replacement cycles. But from what I hear, a lot of the more rural school districts are still using Macs as old as G3's on a pretty regular basis.

Considering this, you still have to realize there is a lot of usefulness in PPC Mac's left. As long as you have the appropriate software, you should be fine. The main thing that lacks now is web based development for these machines, but I don't predict this being too much of a problem for a while. A lot of websites still load fine on Firefox/ Safari (or at least I haven't had any problems).

In conclusion, I do believe that PPC machines will start to get rarer, but I don't think they are going to completely drop off the map just yet. As long as a computer does everything you need it to do, you really have no reason to upgrade (unless you just want the latest/ best of everything ;) )

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 14, 2012, 08:56 PM

I've got CS4 Extended running on my G5 and its' got the HDR feature in it. I prefer to use Photomatix Pro though, which works just fine on my G5.

G51989
Sep 14, 2012, 11:09 PM
I like my PPC Macs, I had them back in the day, they sat for awhile, and as some of you know, I forgot about them, bought another G5 and got back into them.

They are scattered around my house as the Kitchen Computer, or garage computer, or basement computer. And for basic stuff, they work great and I love em.

Sometimes I like to bring my work home with me, and while there are SOME PPC Nix versions of some of the software I work with, the old PPC macs don't have the power to do what I need them to in a timely fashion.

So, I leave my small freelance simulation projects to my iMac, my BIG freelance simulation projects to my GAMEPC Gaming tower, and my work simulations at big blue, stay at big blue.

I gotta say tho, every time I fire up my G5, I get a nice little " this is awesome sensation "

I was playing DOOM III on my Quad 2.5 decked out G5 the other day, and this might sound totally stupid, in the back of my head I'm like " this is totally not x86 ".

But the OP has a point, for lots of people with more seriousness needs, or even basic iTunes needs. Its time for move on from PPC.

Don't get me wrong, I love PPC macs big time!

But they Intel ones aren't so bad :P Trust me, Intel does a much better job for Apple than IBM ever did.

chibiterasu
Sep 15, 2012, 03:53 AM
I don't think a lot is going to change for a while.

Just because Apple is going to drop iTunes support doesn't mean everyone is going to flock and buy new Macs. I mean seriously, I think anyone who was going to upgrade because their "PPC Mac" is out of date would have done it by now.

I still find a lot of schools that still use PPC Mac's for a lot of things. City based school systems in the US have probably started phasing out most of their PPC macs due to support and age/ replacement cycles. But from what I hear, a lot of the more rural school districts are still using Macs as old as G3's on a pretty regular basis.

Considering this, you still have to realize there is a lot of usefulness in PPC Mac's left. As long as you have the appropriate software, you should be fine. The main thing that lacks now is web based development for these machines, but I don't predict this being too much of a problem for a while. A lot of websites still load fine on Firefox/ Safari (or at least I haven't had any problems).

In conclusion, I do believe that PPC machines will start to get rarer, but I don't think they are going to completely drop off the map just yet. As long as a computer does everything you need it to do, you really have no reason to upgrade (unless you just want the latest/ best of everything ;) )

Yes for the most part I think users would of upgraded a long time ago to an intel machine even if they only did basic tasks.

Here in the U.K at the college I went to last year they still had a few e-macs kicking around although most had been upgraded to imacs in the rooms that needed them.

Yes the PowerPc mac is never going to not become useful just in the same way a macintosh II isn't going to not be useful or a macintosh classic for playing old games. Its have we reached this point with the powerpc just becoming a machine for people who love the PowerPc era rather than buying one because they can't afford an early intel mac?

I like my PPC Macs, I had them back in the day, they sat for awhile, and as some of you know, I forgot about them, bought another G5 and got back into them.

I gotta say tho, every time I fire up my G5, I get a nice little " this is awesome sensation "

I was playing DOOM III on my Quad 2.5 decked out G5 the other day, and this might sound totally stupid, in the back of my head I'm like " this is totally not x86 ".

But the OP has a point, for lots of people with more seriousness needs, or even basic iTunes needs. Its time for move on from PPC.

Don't get me wrong, I love PPC macs big time!

But they Intel ones aren't so bad :P Trust me, Intel does a much better job for Apple than IBM ever did.

Im glad you have got back into them :) I think you get that awesome sensation when ever you fire on a G series PowerPc.

We all love PowerPc Macs here but I agree Intel has helped Mac out which is great.

justperry
Sep 15, 2012, 08:10 AM
...all PPC mac owners should seriously start looking at Linux PPC solutions. MintPPC and Lubuntu are highest on my list.

Linux might be the only way forward for us here in a bit, at least for serious web use.

I downloaded about 5 different distro's (if you call them that way) and never had any success booting or installing any of them.

For instance, I burn a CD/DVD, then reboot and hold the Option key, then the Linux CD/DVD will show up but after I select it and hit enter it tries to boot but return to the boot selection screen.
Odd thing is that when it returns to that screen it shows the icons with inverted colors?????
Wish I could run Linux.

About PPC iTunes, it sux big time it is not supported anymore, I just bought a iPhone 3GS, will upgrade to iOS 6 yet it seems you need 10.7 to sync but won't run on PPC.

Edit: I have a Powerbook G4 1.67 so it should be able to run Linux.
But, I also have to say My lower RAM slot is not working(yup, that one) so that might be a problem.

Ariii
Sep 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
I downloaded about 5 different distro's (if you call them that way) and never had any success booting or installing any of them.

For instance, I burn a CD/DVD, then reboot and hold the Option key, then the Linux CD/DVD will show up but after I select it and hit enter it tries to boot but return to the boot selection screen.
Odd thing is that when it returns to that screen it shows the icons with inverted colors?????
Wish I could run Linux.

I'm not sure if you're asking for help, but for all of the distros I looked at you're supposed to boot it from Open FirmWare (Apple-Option-O-F).

crewkid89
Sep 15, 2012, 08:59 PM

Wish I could run Linux.

About PPC iTunes, it sux big time it is not supported anymore, I just bought a iPhone 3GS, will upgrade to iOS 6 yet it seems you need 10.7 to sync but won't run on PPC.

Edit: I have a Powerbook G4 1.67 so it should be able to run Linux.
But, I also have to say My lower RAM slot is not working(yup, that one) so that might be a problem.

I think the psychedelic colors has to do with having the wrong bit depth set for the colors? Anywyas the biggest problem I have been finding is hardware graphics acceleration.

justperry
Sep 16, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure if you're asking for help, but for all of the distros I looked at you're supposed to boot it from Open FirmWare (Apple-Option-O-F).

Not really(Asking for help), I am quite sure you can start them from the start up screen(Option button upon start), why should I start from Open Firmware?
Well, maybe you are right, to set certain parameters before booting into Linux.

I think the psychedelic colors has to do with having the wrong bit depth set for the colors? Anywyas the biggest problem I have been finding is hardware graphics acceleration.

I guess it has to do something with the graphic drivers, probably I need to configure a certain file before I burn them to disk.
On the other hand, I thought those CD/DVD should run out of the box.
If I had a fast and non capped internet I would probably download a few again but I have only 2 GB a month.(Far east Dev. country).

adcx64
Sep 16, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm going to continue using my MDD as my main computer. It does everything I need it to do. However I will be making the switch to an Intell (pun) Mac sooner or later, as I'm finding myself cramped software wise.

Call me a hobbiest or a Mac user, I love my PowerPC

MajorOwned
Sep 17, 2012, 01:09 PM
PPC fan as the frugal choice here:

I would of jumped to an intel mac years ago if I hadn't been offered a PPC Power Mac G5 (with 20 inch monitor) for 100 three years ago - I had a iSight iMac G5 and that was definitely struggling!

I do about 5% of my non-working life's computing away from iOS - so the G5 does everything I need still (which isn't very much) and there's something quite satisfying about getting such a good life span out of a quality (cheap) product - and spending the money on an iPad and a 4S instead!

Starfighter
Sep 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
I use my Mac for browsing (Camino), listening to mp3 files (every version of PPC iTunes does the job), schoolwork (TextWrangler, Bean, Photoshop) and socializing (Adium). This means my Mac experience is not affected at all by iTunes 11 being intel only.

Gaming, frequent podcast editing and the occasional file conversion is done with my PC - which I also will use to sync for example a future iDevice that runs iOS 6.

Jethryn Freyman
Sep 18, 2012, 10:21 PM
I use my Mac for browsing (Camino), listening to mp3 files (every version of PPC iTunes does the job), schoolwork (TextWrangler, Bean, Photoshop) and socializing (Adium). This means my Mac experience is not affected at all by iTunes 11 being intel only.

Gaming, frequent podcast editing and the occasional file conversion is done with my PC - which I also will use to sync for example a future iDevice that runs iOS 6.
Pretty similar story with me, though when I have a lot of video heavy lifting to do I just send it over Ethernet to my little Macbook and let it do its' thing.

orestes1984
Sep 19, 2012, 03:24 AM
My G5 Xserve does an excellent job of serving HD content to my network and can be remotely administrated and woken up without any of the bonjour crap. It's still ridiculously faster than what anyone needs for a home media/time machine server and does a better job than any NAS box as a seed box running transmission as well. So long as its tucked in nicely behind a VPN and doesn't exist to the outside world there isn't a single issue with it running 24/7.

There's pretty much nothing hobiest about it.

Tyroler
Oct 5, 2012, 04:33 PM
I know that i can't download Flash 10.2 but i didn't notice that iTune is gone.
I still run it on my G4

Jessica Lares
Oct 5, 2012, 05:07 PM
The iMac G4 has become my brother's main computer, replacing the aging PC notebooks we have around here. I showed him Pages '06 which he was able to write a paper on easily. I will try upgrading it to a newer version when I get time.

He's been using it for a flash based educational game program too. No problems so far, but then again, those things are always targeted towards cheaper machines. Just need to grab some other apps, and we're pretty much good to go as making this machine work another four years.

And still trying to decide whether upgrading the RAM to install Leopard and have it run more smoother is worth it. But honestly, the kid is only 10, and has an iPod Touch for everything else, which is not much, considering that, again, he's only 10.

And he must like it, considering he's been coming home every day and using it for three hours or more with no breaks.

rjcalifornia
Oct 7, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'm gonna share my story on this...

My dad is a long time Windows User. He is 64. I had an iMac G4 on my bedroom, but I did not use it much since I had my ibook G3 (now G4) Anyways he uses it now, and it took him only 3 hours to get the hang of it and likes it better because the excel sheets do not change position unlike the windows version. So no hobby there.

I use my ibook G4 for some heavy picture editing. See here: http://www.flickr.com/rodol for web browsing, and....

For my job!! I do my work from here, web templates, themes, plugins, etc. If you google my name you'll see I'm for real. The iBook G4 is my work machine, not a hobby

I hate iTunes. I use 'Vox' because its interface reminds me of WinAmp and I love WinAmp.

I am using fluid for facebook and it FLIES!!!! What does that mean? It means the ibook G4 it is still good, the problem is the lack of development.

Many people mark Microsoft as the evil guys, but look guys we are in 2012 and my windows xp machine (I have for visual studio purposes) is still downloading security updates, bugs, and I still can use official microsoft applications, unlike apple.

It is sad that an old Pentium 3 machine still gets the newest flash player, and can use any software made in the world, and my iBook G4 can't run most of those 'cause of lack of support, not because it is slow. Sad...

skateny
Oct 7, 2012, 10:07 AM
It means the ibook G4 it is still good, the problem is the lack of development.

Many people mark Microsoft as the evil guys, but look guys we are in 2012 and my windows xp machine (I have for visual studio purposes) is still downloading security updates, bugs, and I still can use official microsoft applications, unlike apple.

It is sad that an old Pentium 3 machine still gets the newest flash player, and can use any software made in the world, and my iBook G4 can't run most of those 'cause of lack of support, not because it is slow. Sad...

You raise a very good and salient point.

Very often in online reviews of Apple and Apple products, writers tell us how Apple has a "large and loyal following," or some such nonsense. Samsung's TV ads showing long lines of people waiting in line to get the new iPhone parodies this very well.

I'm not a "loyal follower." I've liked what Apple has to offer since my first purchase, a PowerBook 520c. And that came only after I reluctantly abandoned my Commodore Amiga 1000, having seen the handwriting on Commodore's crumbling wall.

I admired Steve Jobs and much of what he accomplished. (How can you not?) But my loyalty isn't to any particular brand, product or individual; loyalty is for people, not for things. I have truly enjoyed and continue to enjoy what I have done and can do with my Macs, and I love seeing what other people are up to with their PowerPCs in this forum.

I'm sure most people here would agree with your sentiment regarding lack of development. If Apple users have been loyal to their brand, many of us likely feel that this has not been sufficiently reciprocated.

wobegong
Oct 7, 2012, 10:21 PM
You raise a very good and salient point.

Very often in online reviews of Apple and Apple products, writers tell us how Apple has a "large and loyal following," or some such nonsense. Samsung's TV ads showing long lines of people waiting in line to get the new iPhone parodies this very well.

I'm not a "loyal follower." I've liked what Apple has to offer since my first purchase, a PowerBook 520c. And that came only after I reluctantly abandoned my Commodore Amiga 1000, having seen the handwriting on Commodore's crumbling wall.

I admired Steve Jobs and much of what he accomplished. (How can you not?) But my loyalty isn't to any particular brand, product or individual; loyalty is for people, not for things. I have truly enjoyed and continue to enjoy what I have done and can do with my Macs, and I love seeing what other people are up to with their PowerPCs in this forum.

I'm sure most people here would agree with your sentiment regarding lack of development. If Apple users have been loyal to their brand, many of us likely feel that this has not been sufficiently reciprocated.

Fully agree with this sentiment, I'm not a 'fanboy' I like Apple because it provides a computing platform that is reliable and intuitive so helps me get the job done. I just ditched my iPhone4 which is my second generation iPhone after my 3G after realising that the iPhone5 is just a "4SS" a slightly taller screen is a turn off for me and I don't see the need yet for a faster CPU when the 4 works fine without any lag. Now use a Nokia N9 and love it, don't miss the iPhone at all.

To be honest how much of this decision is to do with Apple abandoning the PPC so abruptly I'm not sure, get angry at people saying "it's a 5 year old machine..." - Just look at Microsoft, they still support ancient machines MUCH older - I understand Apple's decision to switch to Intel but they should have accepted that they would be required to support PPC for a little longer than they have, some of these (PM's) were SERIOUSLY expensive machines. I don't trust Apple any more, they seem blatantly greedy nowadays and have absolutely nothing in common with their previous perceived ethos. To me a fanboy is a blind, hypnotised lemming heading for the cliff - funnily enough they are exactly like the the characters in the famous 1984 Apple commercial.

I will continue using Apple hardware for computing, I love my MBP and I love my iPad - I also love my PM and I think Leopard is still better than Linux today, but I'm keeping a close watch in MintPPC etc. hopefully by the time Leopard is impractical Linux will be at a point where it can take over because I do believe these machines have plenty of power left in them to continue giving good service, so long as they are given the opportunity (software) to do so..

Starfighter
Oct 8, 2012, 12:32 AM
I like Apple purely for the sake of being an alternative to Windows/Microsoft. It also makes me feel somewhat nostalgic since I worked with Macs in school when I was a kid but that is just a feeling. I truly hate many of the decisions and policys that Apple enforce and I have at no point defended them in any discussion. I do however support alternatives and free choice and therefore Apple is important for me none the less.

FrozenMacUser
Oct 17, 2012, 07:32 AM
I know this is an old thread but I am new and wanted to add my two cents. :)

Anyway, I am not sure if we are into hobbyist territory. Me still using 35mm film SLRs from the 60s and 70s is hobbyist territory. This may come across kind of rambling and unfocused but I will try and make this as coherent as possible.

For me the Power Mac G5 I just acquired is a beast of a machine and is more then useful for my purposes and will be for sometime. Apple's lack of support really is a non issue for me. Furthermore with the cost of Apple hardware PPC is the best option. Where I live even on the second hand market intel hardware commands ridiculously high prices (very near full retail) and Apple is leaving early Intels in the dust anyway so I would be using a computer with no real support either way. And with a dual boot with OSX and Linux or BSD which I have experience with I will be set for sometime yet to come.

But even if we do enter the Hobbyist territory is it really that bad? If we want to keep our good machines running for years to come perhaps we don't have it so bad. Look at Amiga and the MorphOS group. Their company did not just stop support but went down in flames in the mid 90s and a dedicated group of users have kept their platform alive on "old" Apple ppc G4 hardware if you please. I think since computers went mainstream users have been giving more and more control over to the companies that make the hardware and software and feel trapped into the brilliant marketing ploy of planned obsolescence. As a side note I seem to remember part of Apple's deal with Intel being to kill support for PPC as a condition of the agreement since Intel is a direct competitor of IBM and Intel was able to make PPC support a conflict of interest issue. Not sure how accurate that is. I guess where I am going with this is the computers will continue to be useful for as long as they keep working and still fill a need in our lives and we need to remember we have a lot more say in how useful our computers are then Apple's Marketing department.

Personally I was disappointed when Apple made the switch to intel. Windows support was a non issue since I like many Mac users chose the Mac specifically because we did not want to use Windows on the software front. Plus with PowerPC the Mac truly was different and the switch was like Ferrari announcing the are now getting their engines from Ford consumer division. The Mac became just one more PC OEM. I can't see Apple making claims like they did with the PM G5 that I am typing this on about it being the fastest desktop in the world. How can they when the use the exact same hardware as everyone else? But I think apple has also gone from being a high end computer company to an electronic media appliance company. The ipad is not a computer it is an appliance at best and at worst a tech toy. And with the insane new high speed planned obsolescence I don't feel like this is the same Company that I have been happy with since my very first Apple 2 GS. I guess I took Think Different literally. lol

Rant over. :)

chibiterasu
Oct 17, 2012, 01:26 PM

Anyway, I am not sure if we are into hobbyist territory. Me still using 35mm film SLRs from the 60s and 70s is hobbyist territory. This may come across kind of rambling and unfocused but I will try and make this as coherent as possible.

For me the Power Mac G5 I just acquired is a beast of a machine and is more then useful for my purposes and will be for sometime. Apple's lack of support really is a non issue for me. Furthermore with the cost of Apple hardware PPC is the best option. Where I live even on the second hand market intel hardware commands ridiculously high prices (very near full retail) and Apple is leaving early Intels in the dust anyway so I would be using a computer with no real support either way. And with a dual boot with OSX and Linux or BSD which I have experience with I will be set for sometime yet to come.

But even if we do enter the Hobbyist territory is it really that bad? If we want to keep our good machines running for years to come perhaps we don't have it so bad. Look at Amiga and the MorphOS group. Their company did not just stop support but went down in flames in the mid 90s and a dedicated group of users have kept their platform alive on "old" Apple ppc G4 hardware if you please. I think since computers went mainstream users have been giving more and more control over to the companies that make the hardware and software and feel trapped into the brilliant marketing ploy of planned obsolescence. As a side note I seem to remember part of Apple's deal with Intel being to kill support for PPC as a condition of the agreement since Intel is a direct competitor of IBM and Intel was able to make PPC support a conflict of interest issue. Not sure how accurate that is. I guess where I am going with this is the computers will continue to be useful for as long as they keep working and still fill a need in our lives and we need to remember we have a lot more say in how useful our computers are then Apple's Marketing department.

Personally I was disappointed when Apple made the switch to intel. Windows support was a non issue since I like many Mac users chose the Mac specifically because we did not want to use Windows on the software front. Plus with PowerPC the Mac truly was different and the switch was like Ferrari announcing the are now getting their engines from Ford consumer division. The Mac became just one more PC OEM. I can't see Apple making claims like they did with the PM G5 that I am typing this on about it being the fastest desktop in the world. How can they when the use the exact same hardware as everyone else? But I think apple has also gone from being a high end computer company to an electronic media appliance company. The ipad is not a computer it is an appliance at best and at worst a tech toy. And with the insane new high speed planned obsolescence I don't feel like this is the same Company that I have been happy with since my very first Apple 2 GS. I guess I took Think Different literally. lol

I also agree with most of your points, I also hope that we do get a community like the Amiga that would be fantastic. The reason I asked this question is because its a bit of a yes and no answer at the moment. I know it will grow towards the yes as time moves along.

Thanks for your two cents it was a good read :)

rjcalifornia
Oct 17, 2012, 11:06 PM

haha I choose Power PC 'cause I believe a real mac is a mac with a ppc processor. The intel switch was lame, I mean there are faster and prettier laptops from Dell at a lower price. I can't remember the name, but there's a luxury line at Dell.

I read somewhere that Apple is saying goodbye to Intel...